Hello from Chris

Welcome Chris! I'm a few days pre-op for DS on Wednesday, Oct 7th. After much research, I'm 100% certain that DS is the way to go for me (with nearly 200 lbs to lose). Best of luck with your journey. You'll find a wealth of information and support here.

Thank you! I'm not against the DS but as of right now I'm still leaning towards the RNY.

Thank you! I'm not against the DS but as of right now I'm still leaning towards the RNY.
My strong advice to you Chris is that you need to take your time with your decision. I have a friend who weight 650 if an oz (never knew exact amount) and he had an RnY years ago. He got down to about 250 for a year or so and is back well over 500 pounds. Read the revision stories. So many have had the RnY only to have issues keeping off the weight and some get horrible dumping syndrome. They then have a revision to the DS and that is a doozie of a surgery.

Dr Keshsihian did my recent revision (see my story but it was not from RnY is was to extend my alimentary limb because the original doc cut it too short and I was not absorbing enough nutrients) and although he is great, you don't want a second surgery. It is hard to recover and takes a ton of energy. I asked Dr K why he doesn't do the RnY and his response was, "during my residency in Detroit I spent all my time converting Rny's that eventually all fail to the DS" ....Now that is paraphrasing but the RnY just doesn't have good results compared to the DS which has the best results by far.

Even though I had trouble because the original surgeron didn't do the proper DS and I had to be revised, I don't regret my DS decision one bit. I would do it again.

Yes I am very biased but I don't want to see people make a decision they will regret. So take your time, read and make a really well informed decision as to what will give you the best long term results. I think you will see what that procedure is but you have to be comfortable with YOUR decision.
Good luck!

Latest posts

Back