Hello from Chris

Chris

Hello everyone,
I was told about this form by Felicity. I also belong ObesityHelp forums, I am pre-surgery for RNY. I hope to have a date very soon. I hopefully have my last appointment tomorrow with the surgeon before the paperwork is submitted for approval. Then the only thing left to accomplish is getting blood work, a chest x-ray and endoscopy.

Weight before medically supervised diet from RNY surgeon 484lbs, Current weight is 451.
RNY surgeon Dr. Elmer Valin.

I'm looking forward to talking with everyone!

Hi and welcome @Chris! Just wondering if you have ever considered the Duodenal Switch? It might be worth exploring as an alternative to RNY, if you haven't done so already. :) Looking forward to following your journey!

Hi @hilary1617, I haven't given it any consideration. I will talk with my surgeon to see which would be my best option for my needs. Thank you mentioning it. I am look forward to the rest of my journey as well :)

Hello and welcome, Chris! I was originally on the path to RNY surgery until I discovered the DS. My original surgeon was the one my sister used when she had her RNY 3 1/2 years ago. That surgeon didn't perform the DS so he never identified it as an option for me or even mentioned it in any way. Following my initial consult w him and while I was going through the various medical tests I joined OH. It was there I discovered the DS and began to research it. Once I started posting my questions on the DS forum @Larra told me about this board and I've been here ever since. I find this board to be invaluable and can't say enough good things about it and the people on it.

My research convinced me the DS was the procedure I needed and I changed surgeons and had my DS w Dr. Greenbaum in NJ almost 8 months ago. Best decision ever! I have no regrets. My sister is working her RNY but struggles w regain and is essentially "dieting" at all times. Had my sister known about the DS she would have chosen it.

Please research all your WLS options before your surgery. I should have done that before I met with my sister's surgeon. Luckily it didn't cost me as I found the DS before it was too late. She unfortunately wishes she had known.

I don't tell you this to convince you to choose the DS but rather to encourage you to research ALL your options and then make the decision that is best for you. One of the mantras on here is "choose your surgery, then your surgeon" and it is so true. I googled your surgeon. He doesn't perform the DS. Hopefully he'll still have an honest discussion w you about it but more often than not the stories I hear are that surgeons who don't perform it will not only advise against it but perpetuate negative stereotypes about it.

Good luck with your medical tests. Research - research - research! Best wishes to you as you move forward toward your WLS. :)

Hello and welcome! I am glad you are here before your surgery, that way you can make the most informed choice. Best of luck to you!

Hi Chris and welcome. My best wishes to you for your success on whatever you decide. I really love @Jen-2 's post. I re-read it 3 times and she said everything I would say and said it SO Eloquently ;):D!

Welcome, @Chris
Talking to your surgeon is ONLY helpful if he does ALL the surgeries. Chose which surgery IS for you and then chose your surgeon. Imagine going into a Ford dealership and buying a car ONLY to find out afterwards, a Honda would have been a better choice for you. But the Ford dealer is NOT gonna tell you that. Surgeons, LIKE car salesmen, ARE in the business of making money.

And convenience should NOT be a consideration. You don't need forever follow up by your surgeon, esp if you have a good solid PCP willing to learn about whatever surgery you have.

Read everything here and at http://www.dsfacts.com and at http://www.dssurgery.com and then YOU decide what surgery YOU can live with forever.

Why I needed the DS. I required NSAIDS but I also required malabsorption.

Hi @Chris! Welcome! I can't add anything to what @Jen-2 and @southernlady have said because they pretty much said it all. I do encourage you to take advantage of the wealth of information available here, ask plenty of questions, and see where it all leads you.

Again, welcome!

It cannot be overemphasized that your surgeon is highly unlikely to recommend a surgery he is not competent to perform. At your size, I would URGE you to have a second consult with a qualified DS surgeon before you proceed with RNY.

Hi and welcome!

Chris, it's great that you found your way here BEFORE you had any surgery. The DS has the best statistics of any bariatric surgery not just for percentage excess weight loss, but also for maintenance of that weight loss, which is extremely important, and also for resolution of almost all comorbidities, including the ones you have. It works well for the lightweights of the bariatric surgery world but is esp valuable and indicated for people with higher bmi's. The failure rate for gastric bypass is much higher than most people realize, and we are seeing people with RNY and other operations seeking revisions to the DS more and more as they realize that revision is even possible. Keep in mind, though, that revision from RNY to DS is extremely challenging and complex, much higher risk than a virgin DS, and done by only a handful of surgeons. In other words, it's vital to get it right the first time. Insurance coverage for revisions is also a major barricade for many people.
There are other big advantages to the DS, including that you can safely take NSAIDs, which are contraindicated for the rest of your life with RNY. We can drink liquids with meals (after initial recovery). There is no laundry list of foods that are forbidden forever. DS has the most normal post-op diet of any bariatric surgery.

Keep on doing your research, and as others have said, a surgeon who doesn't do the DS isn't about to offer it to you or recommend it. You owe it to yourself to get a second opinion from a surgeon who does the DS before making this important decision. And if you end up traveling further to get the DS, it's well worth the effort. You will trade some short term inconvenience for getting an operation that will serve you well for the rest of your life. Don't settle!

Latest posts

Back