Hello all. Long term bandster looking to revise :)

Veronica, it sounds like your revision should absolutely be covered. hope so!

ETA: just read the insurance thread....so, maybe not. but it should be, dammit.

From what I have seen, a really tight sleeve will make you miserable for a longer time, and then stretch out anyway. You may keep your weight off a year or so longer - but end up in the same place, and in the meantime, will be hungry and miserable.

From what I have seen, a really tight sleeve will make you miserable for a longer time, and then stretch out anyway. You may keep your weight off a year or so longer - but end up in the same place, and in the meantime, will be hungry and miserable.

Not trying to get in a pissing match, but what do you call a "really tight sleeve"?

I as a fresh post-op could barely fit 1.5oz meat in for a few months.. granted, that relaxed to my current 3-4oz plus some veg room now.. but no where during that time have I felt miserable.. and I still don't get hungry often. I for sure cannot even come close to eating what I used to pre-op by any stretch.. I max out well short of a normal person, and a huge amount short of what I use to put away.. and I've not exactly done as some others and tried to intentionally "undereat" my capacity. I eat till full, and usually have the last bite or two over anyway, just out of habit.. which has not caused any stretch that I can tell.. no puking, no "foamies" save for a couple instances the first 6mo out.. So just wondering where you are getting the input that tight sleeves= hungry & miserable?

Not trying to get in a pissing match, but what do you call a "really tight sleeve"?

I as a fresh post-op could barely fit 1.5oz meat in for a few months.. granted, that relaxed to my current 3-4oz plus some veg room now.. but no where during that time have I felt miserable.. and I still don't get hungry often. I for sure cannot even come close to eating what I used to pre-op by any stretch.. I max out well short of a normal person, and a huge amount short of what I use to put away.. and I've not exactly done as some others and tried to intentionally "undereat" my capacity. I eat till full, and usually have the last bite or two over anyway, just out of habit.. which has not caused any stretch that I can tell.. no puking, no "foamies" save for a couple instances the first 6mo out.. So just wondering where you are getting the input that tight sleeves= hungry & miserable?

I was being deliberately vague, or at least trying to be - by a "really tight sleeve" I meant one that was so tight that it made the owner unhappy. I should have specified. If your sleeve is so tight you are uncomfortable or nauseated before you can get enough food into you to make you feel SATISFIED (as opposed to too full/in pain/nauseated) after the first 2-4 months, *I* would call that too tight. I have seen a number of people complain about the tight sleeves, especially those given by certain surgeons who had their ego invested in the VSG being the answer to essentially all morbid obesity (coughCiranglecough). And trying to convince people that being uncomfortable was OK and to be expected.

Here is a recent thread on LinkedIn with bariatric surgeons discussing the sleeve - I *think* you can read it without being either signed into LinkedIn or a member of the ASMBS group: https://www.linkedin.com/grp/post/4368788-6008164807914647556

I *think* you can read it without being either signed into LinkedIn or a member of the ASMBS group
Yeap, interesting. I noticed Dr. K's remark was almost completely ignored. Actually so was Dr. Roslin's. They seem to be still focused on the damned MGB and who in the hell came up with using the BPD as an alternative?????

hmm - I can tell you my sleeve was super SMALL - not wanting to say tight because that implies uncomfortable - and I just felt full after very tiny amounts and for months and month. but I never had nausea or other discomfort.

ETA: perfectly willing to get into a pissing match...:rolleyes:

Yeap, interesting. I noticed Dr. K's remark was almost completely ignored. Actually so was Dr. Roslin's. They seem to be still focused on the damned MGB and who in the hell came up with using the BPD as an alternative?????
I believe the MGB and BPD promoters were non-US surgeons.

@DianaCox, very interesting read, something everyone should see.. and there are points across many fronts there (some rubbish too.) One that seems to stand out, that was knocked into my head fairly hard pre-op, is the sleeve is not standardized.. as you can even see in the comments- so surgeon technique on that one has a bigger impact than it should (were it standardized.)

Surgeons are not vetting patients properly pre-op (we know this) and patients are not always doing their part either (very obvs..) There are sleevers regaining from poor choices, sleevers whose capacities are now back to nearly a normal intake but I highly doubt any resected stomach can stretch back to it's original maximum volume.. enough to gain- yes, but that can be done even in very restricted patients. The sleeve certainly is not the end all be all surgery, and not a proper choice for a metabolically impaired person, where failure would be seen very quickly.

And as far as eating till "satisfied" vs. being "hungry"- two entirely different things imo, at least in the context of post-op life.. Satisfied to me, implies psychological, which is partly why I needed surgery in the first place, I overate, which was eating for reasons beyond physical hunger, which I also had in spades, and no longer do. I was never nauseated or in pain and still hungry/physically unsatisfied (I'd look for a stricture in that case, not a too tight sleeve.) I routinely, from early post-op to now, eat till full, as does I submit, any human.. very few push away the plate while still hungry/physically unsatisfied. Even the ones that tout "undereat the sleeve to "preserve" restriction" (total BS imo), are likely just not going for those last few bites that pass the point of comfy/satisfied/full and approach, ok, I'm done.

On the flip side: I also see DSers who are overweight/obese by BMI standards due (some self-admitted cases) to poor dietary choices.. carbs/sweets etc. I will not address the particular side effects of those choices that go beyond just extra fatness as I do not walk that walk..

So if one can regain by dietary choice even with the DS.. doesn't the onus still come down on the patient to do their part, whatever that entails? No surgery is immune from failure, and many times it appears the same damn things/behaviors (which are in the patient's control) can wreak havoc on a properly done procedure.

ETA: sorry to Veronica for my thread hijack :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back