Hello all. Long term bandster looking to revise :)

VDLT

VSG October 2015
Hello all. My name is Veronica. I am 42 years old and have been banded since 2001. I initially did really well with it and lost around 50 pounds. I am 4'11" on a good day and got down to around 145 which was great. I had plastics and my surgeon required me to get unfilled. That started a not so great series of tight fills and unfills. I developed rather severe left shoulder pain around that time and found in the board I used to belong to, that other people were experiencing the same thing. The surgeons I was seeing (not my original doctor since I had moved) did not take this seriously and told me this was in no way band related despite my providing them with numerous accounts of such.

I also developed a hernia, gastritis, and esophagitis. I struggled with the band (love that you call it the crapband) and had a hard time eating anything but crap for years. I vomitted more than I care to admit and finally two years ago I had enough and had it emptied. I feel better but not great and still get symptoms. I have developed a nasty adversion to drinking water as it is usually what makes my shoulder hurt, particularly if I drink too close to a meal (I do not drink with meals). I know I am dehydrated and tired. I have gained all my weight back and no longer participate in activities I did after my initial weight loss. I miss being smaller and feeling better about myself. I miss dancing which I no longer do because I am not comfortable with my appearance and because I have a hard time keeping up.

I went back to my original surgeon and he has recommended a conversion to sleeve. I am a bit under the 40 BMI but submitting to my insurance (BCBS FED) regardless in the hopes that they will cover my revision. I have discussed self pay with my surgeon but am concerned that should I develop any complications the insurance will not cover them (my surgeon does not offer BLIS).

Anywho... that is my story. I am looking forward to getting to know you guys and reading the forums here. I appreciate any information you may provide me.

Welcome VDLT. I'm sorry for all of the suffering due to the crapband and hope you can get it removed and have an effective WLS procedure all in one and soon. Please start dancing again regardless of size - don't worry about keeping up or what others think. (I know it is harder to ignore others than to advise doing it, but life really is too short and no one has a perfect body, plus very few people dance well - it should just be about enjoying music!)

Thank you both. I do love dancing. I took up tribal bellydance after losing weight. It is beautiful and we do atract all types of body shapes and sizes, it is very inclusive, but I personally feel too self conscious to perform right now. I will continue to go to classes but even that finds me winded quickly. Thank you both for the encouraging words :)

Hi, Vero!

'Tis I...Sue. I got the notice that you sent me a message, but I don't remember how to sign in at Alex's site. I did respond at a professional site where you are registered! Welcome. We are in the middle of moving, so I will be between internet connections.

But I'm gonna bug some smart people to help you with details!

Sue

@Spiky Bugger Sue! Mi amiga! Long time no talk. So good to hear from you. You look so lovely in your avatar! ;)
I have not gotten that message but look forward to catching up. Wishing you a quick and uneventful move. Let's chat when you are settled. Hugs.

P.S. Don't worry I am already getting my arse whooped in my insurance thread but patiently await my share from you!

My take...

Get someone...preferably a DS surgeon who hates bands...to document that the band has to come out.
Get the piece of shit out before you have to deal with really bad damage.
Make sure you have insurance that will cover the sleeve.
Have a sleep study.
While waiting, participate in whatever bs "supervised diet" an insurance company might demand.
Dig deep...for patience.

And...husband? When did that happen?

Oh...my sister got the sleeve...and is now seeing a dietician for help with her regain. You are so tiny, the DS is so big...sleeve seems a logical choice. But regain can be an issue with that, too.

Ya me voy...movers will be here tomorrow.

Last edited:
@Spiky Bugger When was the last time we saw each other? I was just trying to remember and I think its been 8 years :eek: I got married 4 years ago :D

I will check for DS surgeons and have a consult. I know that is the preferred procedure here and I totally understand why, I will check the vetted surgeon list I saw floating about somewhere but I think it said they were none in Florida. I will look at the names you sent me. Do you think it is advisable for me? I think I did pretty well with restriction alone so thought the sleeve would be what they promised the band would be. That stupid band made me develop a sweet tooth I didn't have before but I have been working on it by eliminating sweets altogether. Kelli (remember her?) also developed a sweet tooth from the band, and she says she has heard of others having the same issue. I know that would not serve me well with the sleeve so now that I am unfilled I am avoiding sliders and trying my best to stick with real food.

I am not on facebook so I don't keep in touch with a lot of the old crew but I think Robin, Kelli, and I are the only ones that still have the band. Oh and Debbie. I have had mine for 14 years now and Robin is the only one that has had it longer. I think she still does well.

I will go ahead and get a sleep study. Apparently I have been honking something fierce at night. My insurance covers the sleeve, I am just not sure I am going to qualify.

I am sorry your sister is struggling with the sleeve. If you don't mind me asking, is it because it has stretched or is she just able to eat more than she expected? I have seen some people be really successful long term but have been reading and some don't do too well. I hope she can figure out something that works for her.

Oh and tiny... ha. I have gained all my weight back. But I am working on it. Just like you said it seemed logical to go with the sleeve because of my size. But I figure if anything happens, I am halfway to the DS and as much as I would hate to need a third procedure, I might not end up needing it. But hey, I am sure the folks here will tell me if this is a pipe dream.... :thumbsup:

Hope the move is going well!

@southernlady Oh thank you so much! This is about 45 minutes from me so that is great! I had some follow up with that practice before and had some issues with the surgeon but hopefully if I ask for Dr. Smith specifically it works out.

@Spiky Bugger When was the last time we saw each other? I was just trying to remember and I think its been 8 years :eek: I got married 4 years ago :D

I will check for DS surgeons and have a consult. I know that is the preferred procedure here and I totally understand why, I will check the vetted surgeon list I saw floating about somewhere but I think it said they were none in Florida. I will look at the names you sent me. Do you think it is advisable for me? I think I did pretty well with restriction alone so thought the sleeve would be what they promised the band would be. That stupid band made me develop a sweet tooth I didn't have before but I have been working on it by eliminating sweets altogether. Kelli (remember her?) also developed a sweet tooth from the band, and she says she has heard of others having the same issue. I know that would not serve me well with the sleeve so now that I am unfilled I am avoiding sliders and trying my best to stick with real food.

I am not on facebook so I don't keep in touch with a lot of the old crew but I think Robin, Kelli, and I are the only ones that still have the band. Oh and Debbie. I have had mine for 14 years now and Robin is the only one that has had it longer. I think she still does well.

I will go ahead and get a sleep study. Apparently I have been honking something fierce at night. My insurance covers the sleeve, I am just not sure I am going to qualify.

I am sorry your sister is struggling with the sleeve. If you don't mind me asking, is it because it has stretched or is she just able to eat more than she expected? I have seen some people be really successful long term but have been reading and some don't do too well. I hope she can figure out something that works for her.

Oh and tiny... ha. I have gained all my weight back. But I am working on it. Just like you said it seemed logical to go with the sleeve because of my size. But I figure if anything happens, I am halfway to the DS and as much as I would hate to need a third procedure, I might not end up needing it. But hey, I am sure the folks here will tell me if this is a pipe dream.... :thumbsup:

Hope the move is going well!

Oops...I wasn't thinking DS surgeon to do the DS...just that mosr of them are very experienced in removing bands and documenting the damage caused by bands and might be good at convncing an insurance company that yours needs to be revised...to the sleeve...which they, of course, know how to do.

Some surgeons are good at virgin sleeves, but maybe not so experiencd at band removal.

Latest posts

Back