Hello...again!

Lisa Gemmel

My heart wrestles in a kilt <3
I'm back...I've been here before, but it has been a long time. That has got to change.

I had my surgery in December of 2007. I have maintained my weight beautifully since then. However,
having just turned 59, I feel different. I can't even really explain it, but it is time for me to take control of
my eating habits, etc. in addition to other health concerns.

I'm looking forward to focusing on this very important part of my life again. I need to get reaquainted
with all of the things to keep me on a good DS and healthy lifestyle track.

I'm Lisa, I live in Scranton, PA with Jeff. We are cat people, we actually have ten of them - seven boys
and three girls. I have three sons, three daughters in law, a grandson who's 13 months old and a granddaughter
who is almost three months old. I love the Tampa Bay Lightning, WWE Wrestling and I am an avid thrift store
shopper...

Hi and welcome back! :) I need to get back on track as well. I know I should and can do better with nutrition!

welcome back!

I am 60 and finding it so much harder than 50 was. but the last 5 years have been so stressful!

Hi and welcome back! :) I need to get back on track as well. I know I should and can do better with nutrition!

FWIIW... I found a simple trick helps... at the end of the day I review what I ate, not on paper, just in my head

If I'm way out of what I consider a good diet, I just ask mysef:
Did I eat any fruit?
Did I have a vegetable?

If the answer is no, the next day I try to have a piece of fruit or a vegetable . I'm a creature of habit so whatever I initiate seems to stick for a while. These days it's a english cucumber/ mini tomato / bit of red onion/ calamata olive/ feta cheese salad in a vinegrette. For those who are carb shy, tomatoes and cukes are mostly water

Less commonly I ask
Did I have enough protein?

I f the answer is no I try to up the protein. For me this means grilling a pork chop, and smothering it in Frank's Louisiana Red Hot sauce.. not quite what the AHA recommends, but works for me. Hey.. at least the chop is not processed.

Finally, I sometimes ask
What would I like to change?

This will differ for everyone but for me it usually means skip the ice cream or almond cookies. Here substitution helps. I find a bowl of frozen blueberries in a sweetener is a good substitute

The goal is not perfect, but just a bit better. The push to do better was the American Heart article on how is the trend in what you eat, and not the details of any given meal that determine heart health

"This scientific statement emphasizes the importance of dietary patterns beyond individual foods or nutrients

Here is the recommended pattern:

"Evidence-based dietary pattern guidance to promote cardiometabolic health includes the following: (1) adjust energy intake and expenditure to achieve and maintain a healthy body weight; (2) eat plenty and a variety of fruits and vegetables; (3) choose whole grain foods and products; (4) choose healthy sources of protein (mostly plants; regular intake of fish and seafood; low-fat or fat-free dairy products; and if meat or poultry is desired, choose lean cuts and unprocessed forms); (5) use liquid plant oils rather than tropical oils and partially hydrogenated fats; (6) choose minimally processed foods instead of ultra-processed foods; (7) minimize the intake of beverages and foods with added sugars; (8) choose and prepare foods with little or no salt; (9) if you do not drink alcohol, do not start; if you choose to drink alcohol, limit intake; and (10) adhere to this guidance regardless of where food is prepared or consumed."

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back