FiNALLY saw Hematologist!

nedsmehlp

Went for my annual physical November 8th with my PCP. After 5 months on an iron prescription, my levels were still the same. Ferritin 7. She told me to take 2 pills a day instead of 1. I asked about a hematologist and she said to try this first. She also said I was lucky cause I don't need a rectal exam today. So for my yearly she just took my blood pressure, listened to my heart, and did a breast exam. Then I was done. So I decided to call Dr. K's office. He said to ask my PCP to refer me to a Hematologist. So I called my PCP's office and told them what Dr. K said, so they FINALLY referred me to a Hematologist. I saw him 2 days ago. My husband went with me cause he's been so worried about me. I told the Dr I've been trying to get help with my iron, and I'm so tired of being tired all the time!! He said "I'm going to help you." He sent me right over for an iron infusion and I'm scheduled for another one next week. He also is scheduling me for an endoscopy and colonoscopy to make sure I'm not bleeding internally. Can anyone tell me if I can get a regular endoscopy, or is there a certain way it has to be done? I know I've read on here that you can have a regular colonoscopy, but I thought I had read you couldn't get an endoscopy? I'm also trying to get a new PCP, but the clinic doesn't want to let me change. Thanks for any info on these tests!

Why would you need a regular endoscopy or colonoscopy?

Once they figure out that your anemia is from malabsorption, not internal bleeding, what is the need?

You can have upper endoscopy no problem. It's the poor souls with gastric bypass who have a blind stomach that can't be visualized with a scope, but even for them the pouch and stoma can be scoped.
Just make sure the GI doc knows that you have a sleeve and that they can't retroflex the scope (don't worry, he/she will know what that means).

Thanks Larra! I will make sure he knows he can't retroflex the scope. (whatever that means).
Spiky Bugger, I think he just wants to make sure it is from malabsorption and not internal bleeding. I'm sure this will be the last endoscopy he ever does on me. I'm just so happy I'm finally going to have energy again!

Latest posts

Back