Felicity's Labs

Felicity

Hi there,
I was able to see my PCP today and get a copy of my labs from January of this year... along with my pre-op labs that were drawn on Sept 9th.
I am not (YET!) an expert at looking at these, but this is what I believe to be the stand-outs:

• My A1-C is now in the normal range!? From what I am reading, I am no longer pre-diabetic (which I had been for the last 10+ years). In January my level was 5.9 in a 4-5.6 range.
  • My Vitamin D is low... I have been taking sublingual D3 drops every day. I'm low even without vitamin malabsorption (just a lap-band). I was previously taking Vitamin D (as Cholecalciferol) (D3) 1,000 iu daily, which was 250% of my DV. Should I 'up' this right away? To what level? (Also, as a side note - we can still absorb D3 sublingually, yes?)
  • My good cholesterol is low and my bad cholesterol is high. I know with the DS our fat absorption is only about 20% or so... will this bring down my LDL? Will my HDL go down even more too? Is this why I hear about DS'ers eating things like Chia Seeds?
Any other things of note? I know these labs are missing some important tests- at the time of testing, I was still on track to get an RNY, so I did not have everything drawn that should have been drawn for a DS. Should I do blood work again ASAP to get initial numbers, or wait for my 3-month?

Thanks all, in advance! I'm still pre-op right now; my surgery on Monday the 28th.

Attachments

• Felicity Lab_Results_09-08-2015.pdf
    43 KB · Views: 4
@Felicity A lot of us take 50,000 in or 100000 of D a day.
Understood. Thanks for the reply! I was taking just a normal amount so far, since I don't have my DS yet. Thinking about it, 50 drops/day of D3 is probably going to be troublesome so I will need to add the dry D3 that I had seen others talk about. Just curious as to advice whether I should 'up' this right away since I am starting out with my DS deficient in that area, or if the regime will get me where I need to be.

Yes make sure they are dry. Also remember we have a store on the site so that we can get a little of our cash to help the group

As an aside I just heard the new recommendation for D3 for "normal" people is 5,000IU day to get to and stay in the mid-range of normal.

Hi everyone!
I just got back from talking over my 3-month post-op labs with my PCP, and wanted to share here and ask for some insight. My biggest concern is my B-6 being so high... It's 307 with a range of 20-125. I'm currently supplementing per the VitaLady recommended list with the Tender B-50 Complex.
My Vitamin D is within the normal range now, although very low. I'm currently supplementing 60,000IU Dry D3 - is that too much? I was looking into why my Phosphorous is a little high, and noticed supplementing too much D could be the cause.

Anyway, attached is my Jan 2015, Sept 2015, and Dec 2015 lab worksheet. I appreciate in advance any insight, thoughts, and suggestions!

Attachments

• Lab Work Data.xlsx
    81.5 KB · Views: 1
Hi Felicity. I do not supplement any B's except what is in the two multi-vitamins that I take per day. I will leave it to the experts to discuss the D and phosphorus connection.

Drop the B complex and only supplement the B's you need. Your B12 has dropped almost half. Get a B12 and take it...you want it back above 1000. Or get the B Complex that does not have B6 in it...there is one. https://www.desertharvest.com/shop-new/B-Complex-without-B6-90-capsules.html
Your D is just BARELY normal. If it were me, I would be taking 100K every day and get retested in a month.
Your A is low normal, need to get it up.

You want everything EXCEPT B6 and PTH to be mid to high normal. Some like D and B12 need to be at the very high end of normal (D above 80 and B12 above 900).

I had my labs done last week (my 1.5 year mark) and was surprised at the results. I definitely need to make some adjustments! My PCP said "you know you're anemic, right?" and my jaw dropped. Her recommendation was to up my iron intake (My Iron is in normal range but my Ferritin is high), start supplementing B-6 again, and add 2 salty snacks daily. My BP usually runs on the low side of normal (Today was 106/63, last visit was 97/51). I also have been experiencing some vertigo/dizziness when I sit up or lie down. Now, I like my PCP in that she will order labs when I ask and refill my prescriptions when I ask... but as far as helping me with my labs, I don't trust that she really knows what she's talking about.

I've also noticed my PTH has been consistently dropping: down to 15 (11-67). Is this something I should worry about?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• Cropped 1.5 year Labs.pdf
    4.6 MB · Views: 1
  • Lab Work Data.xlsx
    50.1 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back