Feeling Like Violet in Willy Wonka

Onelastshot

I am so bloated and constipated I can barely breathe. I know this is normal post op, but at what point does your doctor give you one freaking Gas X to help you out? This hurts worse than my incisions- literally. I stopped taking the pain meds bc they can make you constipated. In spite of that and walking the hospital floors, drinking, and resting when necessary, I cannot pass any of this gas. I truly feel like Violet from that scene in Willy Wonka when she fills up with juice. Any suggestions on getting some relief?

I used the GasX dissolvable strips in my mouth, so there were no pills to deal with. They worked well for me, and my doc had no problem with me using those once I had completed my swallow test and was no longer NPO. Hope you feel better soon!

I'm so sorry, I don't have any advice on this, but the DS has made me feel like Veruca Salt! I want it all. I want to be thin and I want plastics and to look like Linda Hamilton in terminator 2 and I'll settle for the way Demi Moore currently looks in a Bikini. :) ( And, alas, while the DS will make me thin, it wont make me taller than my current 5'3'

Good Luck. It took about 4 or 5 days for my gas to pass. Hang in there, you will be a Veruca Salt phase before you know it.

So, your sugery was laparoscopic, right?

When they cut those little holes in your abdomen, one of them was used to blow you up like a Macy's Parade float so they could see and move their instruments around. You don't have gas that Gas-X will help because what you have is not in your intestines. It's in your abdominal cavity. (That also means that there is no convenient exit. Sorry.)

You are not "gassy, " you are "inflated." With CO2. And it just takes almost forever to work its way out. Sorry, again. Take the pain meds if you are hurting.

Last edited:
Thanks, all. @galaxygrrl, I could not help but sing Veruca's song after reading your post. hahaha. Been singing it all morning now. @Spiky Bugger, my surgery was open, but I imagine it is the same. Yes, I have pain in my shoulder but I've read that is common with gas post-op. Dr. Greenbaum just came in and removed my drain and bandages, so maybe that will get things stirred up and moving along. Otherwise he wants me to use a suppository. He said if I can produce something I can go home today. Thank heavens! I miss my family and can't wait to see them!!!!

Since yours was open, gas x might help. Walking helps.

Honestly, I went ahead with the gas x cause my surgeon said (and I quote), "you don't have gas left in, that's a fallacy". But then again, the man had never had surgery in his life. Mine was lap and yes, the gas was still there. I didn't use the gas x for that gas but for what my belly was producing from the god awful protein shakes they made me drink.

Thanks, all. @galaxygrrl, I could not help but sing Veruca's song after reading your post. hahaha.

I'm glad you laughed. I was a little concerned before I posted because I did not want to make light of your situation, but I so loved the Violet reference.

I do hope you are feeling better and the gas is starting to pass.

Ask for an enema. I had unspeakable gas pain after a C-section, and the enema moved the gas out - the relief was instantaneous.
You can get an enema while in DS recovery? I don't know why that sounds like it would be in the "too soon" bucket to me, but it does lol. @Onelastshot I have no wisdom here since I am still pre-op, but I did have horrible bloating and pain from gas after my C-section (and the shoulder pain). I remember that it took like two weeks for me to feel normal again. I hope that things improve much faster for you! Hang in there!

I had an enema to relieve gas pain after my C-section - I had been in agony, and the relief was instantaneous.
Good to know. I just figured with alll the intestinal rerouting that an enema would be painful in itself. I'll ask though if I suffer the way I did after my c-section. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back