Officially switched :)

Onelastshot

I had my open DS procedure on Friday afternoon @ 12:30 with Dr. Greenbaum. All went well, but I woke up with a huge fat lip. I'm guessing it is from the breathing tube as it was removed and I perhaps bit my lip as well? LOL. Who knows what happens when you are all drugged up. Anyway, recovery room was about 2 hours. Pain was minimal (woo hoo for pain meds!) I asked them to remove my catheter the night of surgery bc I didn't need it. It feels so much better to not have one. Did a lap around the floor Friday night and consistently did the breathing exercises with no issues. All was A-ok.

Saturday rolls around and I feel like my pain pump is not working at all. My stomach was spastic and would freeze in contraction when i tried to breath or drink anything. I did 6 laps around the wing of the hospital and still did not feel better. I kept telling the nurse I needed something else bc I felt no relief. 5 hours later they discovered my pump was "locked" and I had not been receiving any pain meds all day. They quickly removed the pump and switched to an injectable Dilauded. After that I was back to normal. Able to drink a citrus protein juice and half a bowl of broth. Sipping my water and breathing exercises constantly.

This morning I got up, washed my face, brushed my teeth, and got dressed -all without incident. They are removing the heart monitor as well bc they said I don't need it bc my EKG was normal. Then I'll be down to just my picc line.

All in all, take the help when it is offered. Sip, walk, rest, repeat. So happy I did this and can't wait to get home to my family!

I am pleasantly surprised with the recovery this far. Although I am not thrilled over the broken pump mix up, I am not hooked up to anything but my picc line. I can move around easily and walk without support. One thing is a little weird though, the fat lip I mentioned earlier has gotten worse, and now looks like a fever blister. I've never had a fever blister in my life. I asked for patient relations to contact me since the anesthesia department would not. It looks awful and I am concerned.

Last edited:
@Onelastshot So glad your procedure was uncomplicated and you are doing well now! I hope your fat lip resolves swiftly. Please remember to take it easy and to stay hydrated once you are discharged. All the best!

I had my open DS procedure on Friday afternoon @ 12:30 with Dr. Greenbaum. All went well, but I woke up with a huge fat lip. I'm guessing it is from the breathing tube as it was removed and I perhaps bit my lip as well? LOL. Who knows what happens when you are all drugged up. Anyway, recovery room was about 2 hours. Pain was minimal (woo hoo for pain meds!) I asked them to remove my catheter the night of surgery bc I didn't need it. It feels so much better to not have one. Did a lap around the floor Friday night and consistently did the breathing exercises with no issues. All was A-ok.

Saturday rolls around and I feel like my pain pump is not working at all. My stomach was spastic and would freeze in contraction when i tried to breath or drink anything. I did 6 laps around the wing of the hospital and still did not feel better. I kept telling the nurse I needed something else bc I felt no relief. 5 hours later they discovered my pump was "locked" and I had not been receiving any pain meds all day. They quickly removed the pump and switched to an injectable Dilauded. After that I was back to normal. Able to drink a citrus protein juice and half a bowl of broth. Sipping my water and breathing exercises constantly.

This morning I got up, washed my face, brushed my teeth, and got dressed -all without incident. They are removing the heart monitor as well bc they said I don't need it bc my EKG was normal. Then I'll be down to just my picc line.

All in all, take the help when it is offered. Sip, walk, rest, repeat. So happy I did this and can't wait to get home to my family!
Congrats! Wishing you a boring recovery and lots of adventures to come. Be well!

Latest posts

Back