Duodenal Switch Surgery Can it cause Celiac Disease or non-celiac wheat sensitivity?

Kittykatkris

Hey every one I recently went to a rheumatologist who is testing me for any kind of autoimmune or inflammatory diseases. I received the blood work back and it seems like I am not necessarily suffering from celiac but non-celiac wheat sensitivity based on everything being normal range accept for
Gliadin AB, IgG being high at 31.

Does anyone know of heard of the DS causing someone to develop this? Or most likely I had it before the surgery?

Just want everyones input if you can!! I am attaching the blood results. still showing indeterminate for Lyme, and ANA positive with 1:320 and speckled pattern which is most likely Lupus! so agitating.
When it rains it pours I guess!

I had gotten the DS to help with a number of health issues, which it did. Alot of the health issues I was told I no longer had or they went into remission which was great. But no the possibility of lupus and non celiac wheat sensitivity/ celiac disease after surgery is just overwhelming and frustrating

Thanks again to everyone!

Attachments

• KRISTIN MILE_health-summary-08042017 GIGG positive 31.pdf
    58.5 KB · Views: 3
Don't jump on this bandwagon too fast. Gluten intolerance is the new 'cool' thing to have. Bejillions of people, WLS or not are now claiming gluten intolerance. There is no doubt many DSers have issues with wheat and we do avoid it because of the carbs if nothing else. Wheat based foods are really not great for anyone. And my best guess is this is nothing new, it's been around forever. If 1 million people suddenly get tested for anything, they are going to find new cases of whatever they are testing for. Your intolerance is non-celiac(that's good). They are not saying you have celiac disease.

Are they giving you a referral to see about the lupus?

Thanks Munchkin
I am seeing the doctor Aug 18th I believe it is, to go over all the blood work results, including the wheat intolerance and the lupus results.
I am seriously hoping that the wheat thing isnt a factor. I am 135 lb and been staying around 130 and 135 so I dont stay away from carbs unless they are the ones that make me have smelly farts. I eat protein and carbs but now finding out I may have to cut out all wheat too! Just overwhelming as I look at everything in the house. MOST everything, 90% has some type of wheat, barely, or rye in it

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27094627
According to that article, there is only one known case following the DS.

Now, the question is....could you have had those same readings pre-DS but never got tested before?

EXACTLY! Thats what I was thinking maybe I had it before the surgery, but we will never know considering I never got tested like this in depth before the surgery.

It does make sense that after DS surgery you can develop it based on the fact that it is bypassing the part of the intestines (or most of the part) that breaks down gluten.

It does make sense that after DS surgery you can develop it based on the fact that it is bypassing the part of the intestines (or most of the part) that breaks down gluten.
I am sensitive to wheat/flour now but I consider that due to the DS not gluten intolerance. Are they the same? I don't consider them that way. Anyway, wheat/flour is not my friend anyway...pre or post DS.

You don't HAVE to cut out anything. You just know that wheat heavy meals will give you some bathroom issues. Just like many of us! It can be inconvenient but you learn to deal with it.

Well if its Celiac Disease then I WILL have to cut out gluten, which is in a lot of food items. So I am hoping that is not what it is!! Will find out Aug 18th. I will keep everyone informed. Thanks again!

Well if its Celiac Disease then I WILL have to cut out gluten, which is in a lot of food items. So I am hoping that is not what it is!! Will find out Aug 18th. I will keep everyone informed. Thanks again!

It ain't gonna be celiac. Betcha. Btdt

You know, when we start having increased PTH results, SOME doctors figure we have parathyroid disease and start scheduling surgery. Wrong. We have a problem absorbing calcium and the parathyroid is behaving as it should. SOME doctors ought to ADD to their knowledge base before they start taking out healthy body parts and/or declaring normals responses a disease.

So, wheat? Not my problem. Might not be yours, either. Wheat FLOUR, especially overprocessed wheat flour-containing food, is a problem. Many, many stores sell bread made from SPROUTED WHEAT. That bread is not a problem for me. And REAL, old fashioned sour dough bread made without yeast is, if not eaten to excess, not a problem. Dreamfield Pasta, in moderate servings, works just fine. (They market it as having "protected" carbs...whatever they do to it, it doesn't make me sick...in moderate doses.) There are many products that are gluten free that are made for celiacs...most of us can use them but don't have to go on a complete gluten free diet. I can use soy sauce, for example.

Chill because...EGBOK*!

Sue

*Everything's Gonna Be OK.

(But you might have to read about Low FODMAP diets.)

Thanks Munchkin
I am seeing the doctor Aug 18th I believe it is, to go over all the blood work results, including the wheat intolerance and the lupus results.
I am seriously hoping that the wheat thing isnt a factor. I am 135 lb and been staying around 130 and 135 so I dont stay away from carbs unless they are the ones that make me have smelly farts. I eat protein and carbs but now finding out I may have to cut out all wheat too! Just overwhelming as I look at everything in the house. MOST everything, 90% has some type of wheat, barely, or rye in it

Maybe I am missing something, but I thought that all or most DSers have a "sensitivity" to wheat and other grains? If 90% of the food in your house contains wheat, barley, or rye, does that mean your diet mainly consists of starches? I am only one year out, but I cannot eat anything with wheat (crackers, bread, pretzels) without getting painfully bloated with gas, cramps, and diarrhea and/or constipation. I know some people eat low carb or sprouted bread in limited quantities, but most postings I have read wheat starches create problems.

Maybe I am missing something, but I thought that all or most DSers have a "sensitivity" to wheat and other grains? If 90% of the food in your house contains wheat, barley, or rye, does that mean your diet mainly consists of starches? I am only one year out, but I cannot eat anything with wheat (crackers, bread, pretzels) without getting painfully bloated with gas, cramps, and diarrhea and/or constipation. I know some people eat low carb or sprouted bread in limited quantities, but most postings I have read wheat starches create problems.
Yes, but the DS is considered surgical sensitivity not the kind your body develops without the DS.

http://www.mybariatriclife.org/risk-celiac-disease/

I think I found a site stating it CAN cause this to happen!! OH BOY

I just followed this link. It is to an article written by a bariatric surgery patient with no expertise in the area of celiac disease and she references, of all people, Terry Simpson...whom I assume is the same Terry Simpson in Arizona who has been the source of MUCH misinformation about the surgeries he doesn't perform, as well as the surgeries he DOES perform. For example, he claims that the LapBand is not a restrictive procedure, rather it reduces your desire to eat and makes you less interested in food. Bullshit.

So what you found is an article written by an amateur who got some info from a guy who has REALLY strange ideas about bariatric surgery. You would do at least as well just chatting with the ladies at the beauty shop.

Meanwhile, last I heard...but it was a while ago...celiac is diagnosed by biopsy taken via endoscopy.

Oh...and all the wls board discussions of "celiac symptoms"... ? ...google for the symptoms of Crohn's, colitis, SIBO, IBS and so on. They match and/or overlap.

I've heard that while wheat isn't necessarily perfect for us in the amounts to which we indulge, wheat isn't inherently bad or reactive. There are a lot of chemicals and pesticides that are sprayed on and then ground right into the flour and that's what's causing the negative reactions. My prepper friends trade home grown pork for this super naturally grown wheat and their issues went away immediately. Whether what I've written is true or simply anecdotal, it's what I've heard from multiple sources, and sounds reasonable enough to me until I care enough to do my own research!

Latest posts

Back