DS Journey Update #6

Kassandra

Hi All! Finally able to give an update! I will be 8 weeks out on 3/14, and within the last week and a 1/2 or so have gotten some energy back. I would say I am about 87% almost back to feeling "normal". Man, the recovery was something else. I had such a hard time keeping things down including hydrating things. Luckily I did not have to go to the ER, but there was a point where I thought I might need to go. I turned into some kind of dry heaving monster around week 3 and smells were very annoying to me making me sick for no reason. I told my Mom NO gum chewing allowed lol, the mint smell was killing me. She thinks it's funny, but luckily she is nice enough to indulge me. Also had to get rid of my vanilla scented hand soap...bleh! Around week 6 however, I was able to get down a Premier protein shake. It was very surprising as I drank the whole thing and didn't feel full or anything. Generally I wasn't a big fan of these types of drinks either..chalkiness etc. but it went down. I felt so alive all of a sudden, able to move around got a bit of color back in my face. I continued to try to keep drinking the shakes and was able to start eating some meats. I felt so fortified! And thus far it has just continued to get better. As of this week, I've been able to eat pretty normal- small amounts of course, but no adverse reactions. Been keeping it high protein for the most part and just excited to get back to being me! I've been running around in a busted wig and sans makeup cause I just could not expend the energy lol. I'm such a vain person too so it's been a mind-f lol. Maybe I'll get it together next week lol, but for now I'm glad I work with people that understand my haggardness. Now on to getting back to these vitamins. I started back today on my multi and plan to work them back in as the days go on. So far so good on the multi today. Anyway, missed coming onto the site as it was a chore to get on any of my electronic devices to type or do anything, but sheeeeee's back! :thumbsup:

Glad you are feeling better and more energetic. I am going to gradually add my vitamins in here in another week or so. I'm one week post-op.

It's surprising how tough recovery from this surgery can be for some of us, but it sounds like you have turned the corner and things should just get better and better from here.

Glad you are feeling back to normal or close. At 2.5 years I am still not back to normal but I have had issues that the average DS patients doesn't typically have. Malnutrition sucks and that is why I preach about the DS being done properly to optimize for the individual patient.

I'm just a bit ahead of you (3 months out) and I suspect you're on the cusp of feeling much, much better. My first 6-8 weeks weren't much fun (mostly compounded by an anal fissure caused, is think, by not eating enough fat), but lately, my energy is back and I feel good. Walking 4 miles/day again and can eat anything I want with no upset. Vitamins aren't a problem. Only thing I don't like is the gas, but, hey, it beats being 100 pounds overweight.

Give it another month and you'll really be happy.

Congratulations!

@Marquis Mark I'm so glad I have yet to experience this gas a lot seem to suffer from! *knocks on wood* I didn't have any in the hospital either, or at least nothing that I felt or can speak on. I'll be sure to keep the fat intake up though as anal-anything I didn't request doesn't sound pleasant..eek! In other news, I'm glad I made it to being able to consume meats/proteins prior to St. Patty's day! Drooling over the corned beef I'll be making in a couple of days!

@DS
Glad you are feeling back to normal or close. At 2.5 years I am still not back to normal but I have had issues that the average DS patients doesn't typically have. Malnutrition sucks and that is why I preach about the DS being done properly to optimize for the individual patient.

Preach On! It's needed... :)

@Marquis Mark I'm so glad I have yet to experience this gas a lot seem to suffer from! *knocks on wood* I didn't have any in the hospital either, or at least nothing that I felt or can speak on. I'll be sure to keep the fat intake up though as anal-anything I didn't request doesn't sound pleasant..eek! In other news, I'm glad I made it to being able to consume meats/proteins prior to St. Patty's day! Drooling over the corned beef I'll be making in a couple of days!
I am glad to hear you are doing so well. Make sure to take it a bite at a time with the new foods like corned beef. One bite too much can be painful so take a bite and let it sit for a few minutes before taking another bite...and then repeat. Watch for a runny nose as that is a signal to many of us to stop...... Not sure why but it happens for me.

Hiccups are my bestowed signal. I've had a couple moments where I sounded like pre-drunk Dumbo before he got in the wine/beer lol.
Haha

I have really never had post DS hiccups or as a signal for me that I recall.... But I belch all the time when eating. It seems to clear room for food. Strange

I almost forget sometimes when I am out that I am around others so I just can't let a belch rip... Lol. ..but I quietly do so.

Anyway it sounds like you are doing great.

Latest posts

Back