DS doc in Maryland???

That is a new name...

Have you seen him yet? Looking him up, yes he is A surgeon but he doesn't pop up any place as doing bariatric surgery. Do you have a web site for his office (or an office/hospital name cause google works pretty well, :))

If he is doing bariatric surgery, make sure you have him draw a picture of what he considers a DS cause we are seeing many new names (and old VETTED DS surgeons) doing the SADI/LoopDS/SIPS and TELLING their patients it's a DS or just LIKE a DS.

And I am not saying don't use him...just be careful. Of ALL the revisions, yours is the "easiest" type as it is going from the sleeve to the full DS.

Has anyone had DS by Dr. Apparao Vanguri? If so, what has your experience been?

Heather

Back when I first came onto the DS/WLS scene, around nine years ago, Dr. Vanguri did perform the DS. There weren't very many of his patients that showed up on the DS boards but there were a couple. Back then Dr. Schweitzer, Dr. Vanguri, and Dr. Elariny were the DS surgeon's in Maryland. I still hear of Dr. Elariny performing the DS but insurance reimbursement seems to be an issue with him. He isn't contracted with any insurance companies for the DS and patients have to pay up front and then take whatever reimbursement their insurance company may offer. Unless he has changed his practices.

A quick Google search found hits from a site I don't trust, plus some older references in other places to his DS experience. Nothing recent, though.

OldBroad (my sister) is having her DS with Elariny on Monday. (Hmm, if she's "OldBroad" and I'm four years older, what does that make ME???)

I thought Vanguri stopped doing the DS before Schweitzer did.

There are to my knowledge no DS surgeons in MD. Elariny - despite his obnoxious refusal to accept insurance reimbursement at in-network rates for the DS (expect costs of about $11K upfront, some of which may be reimbursed if the insurance company's out of network payment is more than the difference between $11K and what he actually charges ($16K?), he is the most experienced DS surgeon in the area. However, I've been hearing good things about a couple of DS surgeons out in Winchester VA (Glembot and Wiedower, I believe: http://www.valleyhealthlink.com/?id=1161&sid=1).

Yeah, I can almost bet that Vanguri is no longer doing DS. @DianaCox Winchester is about as far as Fairfax from me and there is no way I want to put any cash up front when I have insurance. Thank you so much for all of your advice so far!

Latest posts

Back