DS and personal development/consciousness work

Interestingly, I've never thought about using DBT or mindfulness for obesity. I've been practicing since 1999 and it never crossed my mind. I've always used them for anxiety, anger, being in the moment, etc.

Last edited:
You could use mindfulness to help with meeting your DS diet and supplement weight loss and maintenance needs (i.e. avoiding emotional eating and eating compulsively).

This is a video that really got me inspired

This is a super exaggerated "explanation" of new brain science understanding of addictive behavior.

Obesity and emotional eating are two different animals in terms of brain science. They are also different animals from chemical dependency-induced brain changes.

Absolutely you can change your brain through all kinds of thought changes--meditation, various types of psychotherapy, etc. But that won't change your obesity. It will also not change any obesity- or metabolism-driven eating behaviors.

I've been putting a lot of work into consciousness development and basically trying to re wire my brain through meditation and putting a lot of work in. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether they think the ds is short cutting that work? I am an emotional over eater, although I believe that some part of it is biological. This is something I'm really serious about, developing my mindfulness. What are your thoughts?
I'm not sure I'd consider it short cutting, but some things I used to work tirelessly on, quit being an issue for me. Hunger and some hormones normalized after surgery, and normal behaviour naturally followed.

Now, if there are triggers like emotional or stress eating, that would still need to be worked on, but I find it easier to be mindful of something I WANT to be mindful of, when I don't have something like constant nagging hunger and obsessing about that consuming my thoughts.

I respectfully disagree with those who say obesity is not an addiction. It may not be in some cases, but I think it is in many. Certainly is in mine. Saying it's not an addiction because you have to eat, but not smoke, misses the point, I think. Yes, you have to eat, but you don't have to overeat, you don't have to eat sugar, processed flour, or other "addictive foods. Nobody is addicted to broccoli. But many are addicted to Ben & Jerry's. You can eat three abstinent meals a day and and avoid "trigger" foods. Following 12 step principals it worked for me for a few years, but, alas, I couldn't stay abstinent. I do however know several people who have kept off over 100 pounds for more than 10 years by working the steps like any other addict would.

There are many causes of obesity. Some people have food addictions. Many of us don't. I found that the constant gnawing hunger and lack of satiety that I always thought was a mental issue (compulsive eating/soothing of stress) was nothing of the sort - it was a metabolic problem that went away after my DS. On top of that, when I'm hungry now, I crave PROTEIN, not crap.

It is SO much easier to not overeat or eat [too much of] the wrong food when your cravings suit what your body needs.

I was gaining weight eating paleo, e.g. chicken, avocado and spinach salad for lunch. For me, the rapid weight gain in the 12-18 months before surgery was metabolic, not overeating shitty food. While I have used CBT and other techniques in the past, my obesity wasn't a 'head' issue.

For others, YMMV, but no amount of consciousness work is gonna fix a broken metabolism.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I've decided the magic is in the practice and I think the surgery will help me have the energy to practice more. meditation , mindfulness , and gratitude . I could lose myself in theory but I've decided to just do something. is it worse than lap band recovery?

Thanks to everyone who responded. I've decided the magic is in the practice and I think the surgery will help me have the energy to practice more. meditation , mindfulness , and gratitude . I could lose myself in theory but I've decided to just do something. is it worse than lap band recovery?

It will depend on your individual situation. Did you consult with a surgeon yet? Your surgeon can tell you what to expect.

Obesity is a disease, not a character flaw. I suspect practicing mindfulness, meditation, etc is probably good for almost everyone. But it probably won't cure cancer. Or most other diseases. You don't need to be punished. You have been punished enough. It is time to treat the disease.

Obesity is a disease, not a character flaw. I suspect practicing mindfulness, meditation, etc is probably good for almost everyone. But it probably won't cure cancer. Or most other diseases. You don't need to be punished. You have been punished enough. It is time to treat the disease.

AND...understand obesity is a disease and forgive yourself. It's not your fault and you are not flawed. Agreed about the mindfulness, meditation, etc.

Well, because I know zip about science, I hereby declare that it's starting to look like the gut microbiome may be a MAJOR factor. Go over to pub med and read about fecal transplantation and weight and PCOS and gut microbiome and all the related stuff.

Essentially, when the transplant from a chubby donor is introduced, a never-chubby-before recipient gains weight. And can't lose it. When the ka-jillion (I counted) different bacteria in the gut are altered by, foods, drink, medications, unfriendly bateria, the body CANNOT process food the way it should. And inherited microbiomes seem to be a factor, too. Absorption is compromised. We are still hungry, the drive for survival tells us to keep eating...and there ya go. (So far, it doesn't explain why MY body seems to think it needs peanut butter cups, but I'm sure someone will work on it soon.)

I'm not suggesting that we all run out and get a poop-transplant, although I have had two for a killer case of c diff that did not resolve with any of the meds then available. The first one worked for a short time. But the second one absolutely stopped most symptoms in hours, and so far, c diff has not returned. And, eventually, I think the desired bacteria will be identified and isolated and "delivered" to the gut in a less shit-involved way. But the research...peer reviewed and even consistent anecdotal stuff is worth an inquiry or two.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28286339

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Heritable+components+of+the+human+fecal

Throwing this one in because it discusses a wide range of the applicability of these interactions:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28286571

So, let's reject the "character flaw" and "try harder" theories and look at what people who DO understand science are learning and sharing with us...while we still have SOME government-supported science available to us.

Okay...so what I DID learn in my HS chemistry class is that if you convince everyone at your lab table to combine the carefully rationed portions of zinc and magnesium into ONE pile, and hit THAT with the Bunsen burner, a few things happen...most notably, there is a very bright light, a huge SWOOSH sound, the classroom windows rattle and you (because you thought it up but none of the uninspired "followers" received equal punishment) get suspended from lab work for an entire semester...and not invited to many other science classes...which causes you to end up an old woman who knows nothing about science and writes stuff like this.

Last edited:
I don't think of addictions as moral failings or personal weaknesses. They are compulsions and, by definition, not choices. Nobody would CHOOSE to be an addict. I thank God that I can take or leave a drink. Unfortunately, I don't feel I have the power of choice over SOME foods. I have choice over vegetables, fruits (except watermelon and mangoes), meats, yogurt, cheese, brown rice, legumes, etc. I can eat those like a gentleman and not get fat. If I eat an alcoholic food such as any sugar or white flour product (inc pasta, pizza dough, etc, it's over.

Is an addiction a disease? Some people don't like to use that word because it implies that you're not taking responsibility for it. But it is DIS-EASE for sure. And whether you own it or not, you have to take responsibility for it or pay the cost. So, really, there's no running away from it.

Latest posts

Back