DS and personal development/consciousness work

Rgjujitsu

I've been putting a lot of work into consciousness development and basically trying to re wire my brain through meditation and putting a lot of work in. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether they think the ds is short cutting that work? I am an emotional over eater, although I believe that some part of it is biological. This is something I'm really serious about, developing my mindfulness. What are your thoughts?

So, have you had surgery yet? It does not sounds like it. Once we know that, we can help more

I have not had the surgery yet, sorry, but I am thinking I am going to do it in Mexico this summer with Dr. Esquerra.

@Rgjujitsu I try to practice mindfulness. And I put a lot of effort in "staying in the moment". I practice DBT. So I'd have to say (at almost 12 years out) I don't feel the DS short cuts the work.

@Rgjujitsu

Surgery changes everything! And if you have not had it, I don't know if rewiring is actually going to work. Obesity is a disease and the studies show only 3% of the people who take off 50 pounds or more keep the weight off. There is a lot on this topic. I suspect the issue is not your discipline, but rather your genes.

I'm at work, so I don't have a ton of time to write (will write more later), but comparing the impact of the DS to mediation is like trying to walk over glass barefoot or with shoes. One is barely doable. The other works.

I went to Dr. Esquerra and could not be happier

@Rgjujitsu

Surgery changes everything! And if you have not had it, I don't know if rewiring is actually going to work. Obesity is a disease and the studies show only 3% of the people who take off 50 pounds or more keep the weight off. There is a lot on this topic. I suspect the issue is not your discipline, but rather your genes.

I'm at work, so I don't have a ton of time to write (will write more later), but comparing the impact of the DS to mediation is like trying to walk over glass barefoot or with shoes. One is barely doable. The other works.

I went to Dr. Esquerra and could not be happier
Thanks so much and I look forward to what you have to say.

To make a long story short, the struggle with obesity is biologically based, not a lack of discipline. It's you genes, hormones, etc that drive your behavior in what is now our toxic food environment. All the meditation and rewiring in the world is going to have a tough time competing against your genes and our toxic food environment.

Surgery is what works and diets don't. How many times have you tried to lose weight only to have it not work or lose it and gain it back. Only 3% of the people who lose 50 pounds or more keep it off over 5 years. With the DS, it's 90% of people keep off 85% of their excess weight loss. Here is a chart that compares surgery options - http://www.paclap.com/downloads/comparing-options-for-WLS.pdf

Hope this helps

I don't care what PEOPLE say. obesity is NOT an addiction. An addiction is something you can live without in the normal course of life. However, as @galaxygrrl mentioned, you HAVE to eat.
You can chose to not do drugs.
You can chose to not smoke.
You can chose to not drink alcohol.
You can chose not to gamble.

YOU CAN NOT chose not to eat.

Latest posts

Back