Does anyone have rough numbers on cost of Self Pay DS?

I think $32-35k is the norm for major surgery centers and I suspect there are still ups and extras with that. Greenbaum only does open which makes for more pain and recovery time. (Thanks for reminding me about checking to see if Ungson does Hess.)

Greenbaum only does open which makes for more pain and recovery time.
I've had open surgery and I have had lap. Pain with both...cause even if you have 5 baby cuts, the inside is still sliced and diced. Also they have to pump gas into you to see in there...and that HURTS for about 7-14 days after. And recovery time is the same either way, 6-8 weeks. It's the inside that makes the difference, not the incisions.

Hey Scott, as you know I just had surgery and paid for it myself. I was a revision - lapland removal was paid by the insurance but I paid 25,750 out of pocket. this included an insurance policy that covers surgical complication for the first year.

I then added on an insurance policy that covers me against complications of stricture for 2 years, I turned down the insurance policy related to DVT development.
all This covered the surgeon, 1 year of dietician, 1 year of exercise physiologist, all pre-op nutrition classes.

As you also know, I had a second surgery for herniated bowel and a 23hr observation and thorocentesis which has all been covered. I have had various labs too - CT scan, C-diff culture, urine culture etc - all paid for with that 26K. I was in the hospital 7days initially also, instead of 2.

I do understand folks wanting to go to Mexico, I looked into it myself. However, I cannot imagine being thousands of miles from home and have the complications that I had. As you and your brother are researching, I encourage you to think of the what ifs and how to handle that, too.

Hi Scott. I had my DS w Greenbaum in February. My total cost came closer to $12,500. He does all his surgeries open. We discussed the Hess method and he agreed to use it for me. He moved to a longer CC for most patients bc he finds many aren't diligent w supplementation. My CC ended up being 75. I can't remember my other numbers. He told me but I've forgotten and haven't yet requested a copy of my report. He took his time and discussed all my questions and concerns each time we talked. I'm sure he'd discuss your concerns due to your revision and how that may or may not be a concern for your brother.

I posted a thread a few months ago that detailed all my costs but I can't find it. It's on here somewhere. :)
Hi Jen,

Thank you for that information. My brother does handy man work so I am thinking an open procedure would not be best from him because he will need to be able to do physical work in a relatively short amount of time. That being said, if this is the best route for him then he will need to do what he needs to do if he moves forward. I know he wants to but he also needs to work as his wife has MS and is on disability as she isn't capable of working now...so he has a lot of pressure that he puts on himself to take care of her.

Hey Scott, as you know I just had surgery and paid for it myself. I was a revision - lapland removal was paid by the insurance but I paid 25,750 out of pocket. this included an insurance policy that covers surgical complication for the first year.

I then added on an insurance policy that covers me against complications of stricture for 2 years, I turned down the insurance policy related to DVT development.
all This covered the surgeon, 1 year of dietician, 1 year of exercise physiologist, all pre-op nutrition classes.

As you also know, I had a second surgery for herniated bowel and a 23hr observation and thorocentesis which has all been covered. I have had various labs too - CT scan, C-diff culture, urine culture etc - all paid for with that 26K. I was in the hospital 7days initially also, instead of 2.

I do understand folks wanting to go to Mexico, I looked into it myself. However, I cannot imagine being thousands of miles from home and have the complications that I had. As you and your brother are researching, I encourage you to think of the what ifs and how to handle that, too.
Thanks Mom...and I know you had a rough time. Glad you are on the mend.

Greenbaum sounds like he might a good option for my brother. He is too proud to ask my Dad for the money but I am warming my Father up to the idea. Mark will have a hard time asking for $25K.

I've had open surgery and I have had lap. Pain with both...cause even if you have 5 baby cuts, the inside is still sliced and diced. Also they have to pump gas into you to see in there...and that HURTS for about 7-14 days after. And recovery time is the same either way, 6-8 weeks. It's the inside that makes the difference, not the incisions.
I don't really know how you classify hand assisted laperotomy that I had for my revision. It is roughly 3.5 - 4 inches from navel down. There are no other incisions so I guess this would be classified as open. I know it is kicking my ass.

I hear you on the horrible crap they pump into you from Lap. That was the most miserable part of the short term recovery. Once that pain was gone few days after I got home, my gut really never hurt much at all. It was a lot easier on me than this hand assisted lap.

Hi Jen,

Thank you for that information. My brother does handy man work so I am thinking an open procedure would not be best from him because he will need to be able to do physical work in a relatively short amount of time. That being said, if this is the best route for him then he will need to do what he needs to do if he moves forward. I know he wants to but he also needs to work as his wife has MS and is on disability as she isn't capable of working now...so he has a lot of pressure that he puts on himself to take care of her.
Dr. G also removes the appendix and gallbladder, fixes any hernia and performs a liver biopsy. I was very weak and had no energy for at least 8 weeks (which Dr. G said was normal), but whether that was all bc he did the whole procedure open - I can't say. I can understand why your brother would hesitate though given his circumstances. @robs477 had his surgery a week after me. His was lap and he was doing laundry and shopping for protein powder within a few days of being home! Lol. I would have much rather had his recovery. :) Obviously 2 people are not an adequate sample size to know what the average recovery times are like for open vs lap but it would make me think twice if money wasn't an issue.

There's another thread that I was referencing that has the actual costs of Dr. G, the hospital, anesthesia, etc. I'll find it and bump it to the top. Thanks @southernlady!

I had insurance problems and almost had to pay for mine - $25k here in TX that included everything (hospital, anesthesia, etc. - I needed the gallbladder removed too) and I'm not sure what Hess means (I'm catching on) but my CC is 100cm.

I had insurance problems and almost had to pay for mine - $25k here in TX that included everything (hospital, anesthesia, etc. - I needed the gallbladder removed too) and I'm not sure what Hess means (I'm catching on) but my CC is 100cm.
Hess method is where the SB is measured for total length and then the CC is made roughly 10% of the total SBL and the AL is roughly 40% of the SBL. i say roughly because if a person had a previous history that could affect things those lengths might be adjusted.

Why do this? Studies have been completed showing a correlation between height and SBL. We all have different length SBLs so the Hess method personalises the level of absorption to the individual. I have a friend who is 5'2 and Marshall did her channels the same as mine ..i am 6'2. She is having a hard time losing all her weight while I had extreme malabsorption. I firmly believe that had both of been given a Hess method DS rather than the one size fits all cookie cutter that we both would have fared better and I would not have required a revision.

Oh boy! I really hope that by some chance 100 is my magic number. I'm 5'8" with a large frame (not weight, big hands and feet, wide hips-the bone part) so maybe I'm in the middle enough for it to work out well?

My common channel would have been 75 under Hess method but it was 100 cm. Dr k told me he rounds up to the next 50 cm increment so he would have made it 100 too. The difference for me was the AL.... 150 vs what should have been 300 cm.

I know people want to focus on the common channel but the AL length is also very crucial...... That was my main problem. Believe it or not the AL does absorb nutrients even though no digestive enzyme in the AL. If too short it can cause malnutrition.

Latest posts

Back