Do GasX strips really work?

Ridgerunner

I am pre-op and have read multiple times about bringing GasX strips to the hospital on surgery day, they will be a godsend for the gas pain post-op.
I recently had a very bad episode of gas bloat and pain. I decided to do a test run on the strips and took the maximum dose of 4, waited a few hours and took 4 more...nothing. Asolutely no help. It was 3 days before my condition started to improve.
Anyone else find these strips ineffective? Is it a different gas so a different result maybe?

Gas-X strips do nothing for me. Gas-X chews are fantastic for me. That being said, I don't think they are going to be of much help immediately after surgery. That gas pain is typically the CO2* that is used to inflate your abdominal cavity for laproscopic surgery and that gas is outside you intestines so I am not really sure how it gets out.

* I think it is C02 gas

Yes, it's CO2 and it is gradually absorbed by the body, not the intestines. No product will help with that. Whether GasX products of any type will help with future gas related to food, I can't tell you.

What Larra said.

GasX works on the stuff IN your stomach/intestines...the places the GasX goes.

I swear I had more post-op gas/discomfort from my "less invasive" Lap Band than I did from my OPEN (sternum to navel) DS. Lap surgeries turn your belly into a weather balloon...and it takes FOREVER to get rid of that stuff.

I think GasX would be worthless in the hospital.

Eta...I use chewables, simethicone, for regular gas. I don't know what's in the strips, but I'd check for sugar alcohols, which can CAUSE more GI disturbances.

I had wondered how ingesting something could affect co2 pumped into your chest cavity but anyone and everyone was swearing by these things. Maybe it is the power of suggestion.

same with me, everyone said, be sure to take gas X strips...so I bought some and never opened them, and never even thought of using them. I didn't need to. I really had no gas pains.

@Ridgerunner the CO2 is pumped into your abdomen, not your chest, for this type of surgery. It creates a space for the surgeon to see and work. When they finish, they try to get out as much of the CO2 as they can but you can't get all of it out.

What Larra said.

GasX works on the stuff IN your stomach/intestines...the places the GasX goes.

I swear I had more post-op gas/discomfort from my "less invasive" Lap Band than I did from my OPEN (sternum to navel) DS. Lap surgeries turn your belly into a weather balloon...and it takes FOREVER to get rid of that stuff.

I think GasX would be worthless in the hospital.

Eta...I use chewables, simethicone, for regular gas. I don't know what's in the strips, but I'd check for sugar alcohols, which can CAUSE more GI disturbances.
Agreed...when I had my revision with Dr K which was hand assisted lap (about a 3.5 inch mid line incision from naval down) I had simethicone in hospital and it helped a lot. Lap, no help for exact reason you, Larra and I said. Only problem with when I had the revision is they would only give me one every 8 hours so on my last surgery I brought my own and took it whenever I damn well felt like it...it helps me a lot...strips, nope

Latest posts

Back