Diuretics...

Spiky Bugger

Background...
I take diuretics and if I don't, I get visibly edematous at the feet and ankles...and the all-over accumulation of fluids that are not leaving the body makes breathing more labored and me tired.

And, so far, my calcium is within range and my PTH is on the high end of range...so...everything is normal, I guess.

But...this situation makes doing anything difficult, especially traveling, the stated retirement goal of most of us old farts. If I take my diuretics (I use Torsemide--aka Demadex--and I use Potassium when I do) the "water" build up problem is resolved, but I have to pee...and pee and pee and pee. Not always easy driving across America or on a plane. (So we travel on Amtrak.)

If I don't take the diuretics--especially if I sit for long periods--the swelling starts and when I get where I'm going, I am exhausted and have to spend the next MANY hours taking diuretics and staying near a toilet. So extra days have to be added to travel planning just because I need to recuperate from sitting and NOT peeing.

At the Moment...
So in taking my history at my new doctor's office, a third year medical student asked me if I had tried calcium-sparing diuretics, such as hydrochlorothiazide, HCTZ. I recognized the name...my mom took it decades ago for hypertension. But I don't recall using it ever.

She said that since malabsorbing calcium is something I have to keep an eye on, maybe I'd want to consider taking a diuretic that causes increased serum calcium, as in my case, it might be a beneficial side effect.

Anybody here have any experience with HCTZ or using calcium-sparing as opposed to potassium-sparing diuretics? Any wisdom from anyone who has observed those drugs working in others?

Thank you...

I had really bad water retention when I was at my largest, huge ankles & calves unless I spent most of the day with them elevated. I still get swelling if I'm on my feet a lot, or especially when flying, but no where close to the same level as before. Doc prescribed me HCTZ, but it never did anything for me. Not sure if that's helpful, since it was pre DS and I wasn't monitoring my calcium as much as I am now, so I hope it works for you!

I took hydrochlorothiazide for years pre-DS. I have only taken it a couple of times since because,I hardly ever swell anymore. Just make sure to take a little potassium with it to keep the leg cramps at bay. Might as well make it Potassium Citrate to help prevent kidney stones, while you are at it. I wish I could tell you more about the benefits of calcium sparing but my experience predates the DS. Good luck.

I took hydrochlorothiazide for years pre-DS. I have only taken it a couple of times since because,I hardly ever swell anymore. Just make sure to take a little potassium with it to keep the leg cramps at bay. Might as well make it Potassium Citrate to help prevent kidney stones, while you are at it. I wish I could tell you more about the benefits of calcium sparing but my experience predates the DS. Good luck.

Too late on the stones...

..:mess:

How about trying a smaller dose? Maybe that would keep the peeing at a more manageable level while traveling.

driving to NV last week there was a stretch where there was NOWHERE to even pull over and hide behind something...I was thinking, well if the astronauts can use a ..a .personal protection garment...:whistling:

Yep that's why I'm happy to drive 4 door vehicles :)
I work with a 99% male population, so when we are moving the rig, I open the front door and the back door and squat inbetween...:)

Last edited:
My experience with HCTZ was a living nightmare which I might wish on an enemy if I was so aggravated. I was borderline psychotic and weak. I had no appetite and a few other things I may have forgotten. I diagnosed myself after consulting with Dr. Google and my PCP agreed. When I stopped it, my whole world got better in so many ways. The best benefit of that mess? I lost the 10% of my body weight that my stupid insurance company needed to approve my WLS. I do believe I was a very rare case of HCTZ intolerance.

As for the relationship between potassium citrate and kidney stones, I'm hoping that it will keep anymore from forming. I have a > 2 cm kidney rock which will have to be removed by surgery if it acts up.

Wishing all the best for you as the swelling is not fun. That's why I was put on HCTZ to begin with.

My experience with HCTZ was a living nightmare which I might wish on an enemy if I was so aggravated. I was borderline psychotic and weak. I had no appetite and a few other things I may have forgotten. I diagnosed myself after consulting with Dr. Google and my PCP agreed. When I stopped it, my whole world got better in so many ways. The best benefit of that mess? I lost the 10% of my body weight that my stupid insurance company needed to approve my WLS. I do believe I was a very rare case of HCTZ intolerance.

As for the relationship between potassium citrate and kidney stones, I'm hoping that it will keep anymore from forming. I have a > 2 cm kidney rock which will have to be removed by surgery if it acts up.

Wishing all the best for you as the swelling is not fun. That's why I was put on HCTZ to begin with.
Oh, great...but anyway, my former uro was AMAZED at how effective the UroCitK was in making numbers move.

A small dose of HCTZ works for me for the rare (nowadays) instances where I get edema. No issues. But I don't think my occasional edema is anything like what you guys are talking about.

Oh, great...but anyway, my former uro was AMAZED at how effective the UroCitK was in making numbers move.
OK, I looked up UroCit-K. Sounded good until I read it was a wax-matrix extended release pill that isn't supposed to be crushed. And your DS innards handles it OK according to your numbers. Very interesting. I may discuss this with my PCP.

I'll add further that my experience with HCTZ was caused by an interaction with another drug I had to take for something else. Sadly, I cannot remember the other drug. YMMV type of thing.

OK, I looked up UroCit-K. Sounded good until I read it was a wax-matrix extended release pill that isn't supposed to be crushed. And your DS innards handles it OK according to your numbers. Very interesting. I may discuss this with my PCP.

I'll add further that my experience with HCTZ was caused by an interaction with another drug I had to take for something else. Sadly, I cannot remember the other drug. YMMV type of thing.
When there are no alternatives, like with this and other drugs, I score them with a pill cutter.

Latest posts

Back