Discomfort when eating

LynneV

I can't figure out what's going on or what I may be doing wrong.
I am two weeks post op DS, sometimes when I eat I get a pressure in my chest like a gas bubble
I don't bring up any acid stuff I don't ever throw up but I also don't do a good burp so it stays
anywhere from a minute to 10

I can't figure if I'm eating too much per bite, not chewing my food enough, or if I am over full
It happened today at lunch I ate scrambled eggs and a very small bite of bacon and yet eating slices of processed beef with cream cheese and a slice of avocado didn't do anything

Any thoughts?

Either too much or too fast. The signals of being full are different now from pre-op. You will learn the new signals as you go along. 2 weeks is still very early out, and if you can manage any form of beef at this point you're doing better than average.

What Larra said...!

At 2 weeks out I was still on liquids. Maybe try a bit slower and a bit less and pay attention to how you feel before proceeding. You'll find what works for you!

I only had a VSG but I was on liquid only for weeks. could not have eaten food like that at 2 weeks out anyway! :eek: like Larra said - so eat less or slower. probably AND slower. :D

I could not tolerate eggs until about 5 months out. They caused a lot of stomach pain. I have read that others had the same reaction to eggs.

When I got out of the hospital on a Thursday I was on clear liquids.
By Saturday I had diarrhea, I called my doc who told me soft foods.
I have just kept trying stuff. When I saw him on Thursday he told me to get
60 mg a day of protein which I have done.
I have been really fortunate in my recovery my doc called it " extraordinary"
I've lost 15 lbs so far, now I need to learn how to eat correctly so I can skip the discomfort.
Thanks for the advice, I will have to pay more attention when I eat

I could not tolerate eggs until about 5 months out. They caused a lot of stomach pain. I have read that others had the same reaction to eggs.
I made the mistake of trying an egg when on soft foods. I only had a tiny bite but I was miserable for 10 minutes and then I puked. I tried again with runny sunny side up eggs about 3 months out and had no problem with eggs that way, but it was a year out before I could do scrambled or an omelette. They sat like a balloon.

I agree with Larra your discomfort is like from eating to fast. Not sure if anyone mentioned it yet, but if you aren't taking a PPI I would suggest that you start at least for the first few months.

It never occurred to me it might just be the eggs.
I had eggs scrambled with cream cheese and had no problems but I think you guys are right
eating eggs, probably too fast, may be the problem.

PPI 1?

Proton Pump Inhibitor. Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix. They reduce stomach acid by inhibiting the amount produced and this helps with Acid Reflux.

The signals of being full are super, super different after surgery. I'm 7 months out and still find them hard to read and confusing. I get pain when I eat to much and then, I throw up and I'm fine. I have not really been able to figure out the physical signs of being well, but just thinking about the fact I'm full. This is clearly a YMMV issues though. Others have an easier time with this.

I have not felt "full" since surgery.
On the other hand I have very seldom felt really hungry
It's a very odd experience

I have not felt "full" since surgery.
On the other hand I have very seldom felt really hungry
It's a very odd experience
Feeling full and being full are two completely different things.

Slow down grasshopper! If soft is too much go back to liquids. And during the liquid and early soft, diarrhea is totally normal.

It's a very strange time for you, no getting around it. At two weeks you likely will only eat a bite or two. I couldn't get in 60 protein that soon, I know! I ended up having a bite of whatever I could tolerate and sometimes it was NOT low carb or protein.

Does your nose run after a bite or two? If so, that's a "full" signal. Hiccups can be too, and also a cold chill feeling.

It takes time, and I remember thinking I was never going to be able to eat ever again or enjoy what I ate! It just takes time, much more time.

I can't figure out what's going on or what I may be doing wrong.
I am two weeks post op DS, sometimes when I eat I get a pressure in my chest like a gas bubble
I don't bring up any acid stuff I don't ever throw up but I also don't do a good burp so it stays
anywhere from a minute to 10

I can't figure if I'm eating too much per bite, not chewing my food enough, or if I am over full
It happened today at lunch I ate scrambled eggs and a very small bite of bacon and yet eating slices of processed beef with cream cheese and a slice of avocado didn't do anything

Any thoughts?

I had the same problem. I am not 5 weeks post op and I can tell you it gets better. Like they said, eat slower and smaller bites. Find foods you can tolerate. For me at 2 weeks I could only drink a protein shake, eat greek yogurt and HALF of an egg. Even at 5 weeks out I can't just "eat" foods. It's still small tiny bites (as if I'm sampling it) and I wait a minute or so to see if it settles or is gonna hurt. I can also tell you that at 4 weeks was when that feeling of wanting to burp and can't burp finally goes away and you do burp and it feels much better! Just eat/drink foods that you can tolerate.

Latest posts

Back