DeeDeeDS is in the hospital

I received this message from DeeDeeDS this morning, along with permission to share it. She is still not doing well enough to leave the hospital, as she is having a lot of pain. To put her message in context, last night, she called me from the bathroom, where she was struggling with a fecal impaction and pain, and they wouldn't help her with it - she wanted to - um - take care of it herself, because she was in so much pain, and was worried about having another vasovagal episode - I talked her through it (and her husband was with her, just in case).

The relief didn't last long. I got up again. I found that sitting on the toilet with feet on a stool and leaning back into mikes arms allowed me some relief. They finally just shot me full of drugs to get my muscles to relax.

At least by staying calm I staved off the "shock" reaction my body had thrust into hours before. Finding the strength to stay calm and relax as much as possible definitely helped me through it. Now they are trying to figure out what this particular pain is and how it is triggered.

(Edited at DeeDee's request - in case you're wondering where the rest of the post went! After I posted the whole thing with permission, she asked me to redact some of the more personal stuff.)

Last edited:
Oh it's all good. I just thought I got a little personal about my husbands feelings and beliefs. It didn't seem quite fair to him. So here is the rest of what I have to say I'm hoping that maybe someone will be benefited by my experience. I am in a great hospital with great staff, and wonderful surgeon, but it is still hard sometimes to explain my personal needs versus "normal procedures."

Thank you all for the well wishes and the prayers. Here is my slightly edited letter to Diana.

Diana,
The relief didn't last long. I got up again. I found that sitting on the toilet with feet on a stool and leaning back into Mike's arms allowed me some relief. They finally just shot me full of drugs to get my muscles to relax.

At least by staying calm I staved off the "shock" reaction my body had thrust into hours before. Finding the strength to stay calm and relax as much as possible definitely helped me through it. Now they are trying to figure out what this particular pain is and how it is triggered.

Diana, you not only helped me but it helped my husband to hear your voice. He would never have done anything like I did in taking control and basically "treating myself." He's a "doctor knows everything" kind of guy, and if you got an ouchie, the only one who can make it right is a "doctor of something."

The house supervisor came on the floor to help them "catch up" and when she saw my name on the list she took me cause she had been there in the morning for my last episode. When I explained about the fluids, and other of my DS needs she listened. First she wiped the pain, then she supported me in explaining to my nurse that my liquid intake was not adequate to warrant taking me off IV. She also made some other suggestions.

Funny cute mike was so amazed. I still feel there may be something they are missing. On the other hand the next time someone says "it's just gas"I'm gonna slap um. I don't care what it is, figure it out and tell me how to stop it or prevent it.

I was writing this to you and fell asleep. I slept for about two hours, when I woke up it was 7 o'clock. For the first time since I've been here a nurse came in and talked to me about what is happening. I was able to tell her that all three episodes started with the pain which started before any kind of strain or thoughts of letting gas, or pooping. I also explained that while I did get some relief last night from cleaning out some of the impaction, I still have it and I'm okay, and the removal didn't take the pain away or bring on a vagal.

Finally someone listened to me. The pain is coming first and then I made a mistake about how I try to relieve it and that brought on the vagal response. I didn't do any straining or anything ex strenuous to fight it last night, so I didn't get the total vagal. I just had the terrible pain and I fought it successfully I believe. She told me she's going to talk to the doctor. I cant go home until they figure out what the pain is and how to control it. Music to my ears.

So I'm feeling quite well this morning. I'm very weak, each time one of those episodes happens it seems to take a lot out of me. They did put the IV back in, and I'm really pushing water. I'm not sure what I should eat or even if I should try. Two episodes have happened while I was eating or right after. However I also have eaten successfully and had no episodes.

There you have it, my latest epistle. Feel free to share it with anyone you think may have had a similar experience. Ty so much Diana. Dee

I hope you get answers and relief soon. Take care, and stay put till you feel up to going home.

I'm staying today maybe will go home tomorrow. They are arranging home health services for me. More success with talking to my surgeon and making plans to deal with whatever is happening. And the big one.....I have already gotten 24 ounces of oral fluids in today. FINALLY DRINKING ON MY OWN! I took a "long" assisted walk around the halls and I feel like I've been on my treadmill for half an hour. I have that wonderful exercise feeling, breathing deeply, and lightly overheated. Yes, a lovely way to feel. COULD IT BE?

DeeDee, as always lots of positive thoughts and well wishes to you! I hope all this will resolve soon and you can get back home.

Larra

Latest posts

Back