Dad is sleeved, but...

brooklyngirl

Yankee gone south
So my dad had his VSG surgery last night, and he's not doing too well. He's not passing any urine, not even when he was catheterized. He's also so dizzy and lightheaded upon standing that they couldn't do the leak test. He thinks this is dehydration because "I haven't had anything to drink in 36 hours", but doesn't make sense to me that anyone could be dehydrated if they're on an IV? They're also concerned about the amount of blood coming from his drain. And may have to go back in to see what's going on in there. That's all I know, they're trying to problem solve now, starting with some kind of scan to see if there's anything in his bladder and he can't pass it, or if it's empty, in which case I think I'd be even more worried. Argh. I don't have much medical knowledge so I'm just going by common sense, but it's killing me to be so far away and not be able to do anything!

I'm sorry to hear that, I hope they figure it out soon so your dad can get on the road to recovery.

Wishing him the best. It's a tough road - I'm sorry he is suffering and you have to watch him go through it. Hugs!

Yes, you can be dehydrated even with an IV, if you are losing fluids (blood loss, fluid leaking out of blood vessels into "third space", i.e. edema) or just not enough IV fluids. It sounds like your Dad is losing fluid one way or another. The dehydration would also explain his dizziness also. It's unlikely that the cathether somehow is blocked or not working right, but there is no harm in doing the scan to make sure. Bottom line, they need to tank him up with fluids, possibly blood (depending on his labs) and find out what's wrong. If that means a trip back to the OR, obviously no one likes that, but it's a far better course of action than doing nothing. If they take a look with a scope and everything looks ok, that's great, and the risk of a brief procedure like that is low. On the other hand, if there really is something wrong inside and they don't get in there and fix it, that's when things go south.
We are all sending good thoughts Dad's way. Please keep us posted.

I'm sorry that your dad is having complications. I know its hard on you being so far away I'm sure you feel helpless. I believe he will be ok. I'm praying for you, your family and him. Prayer changes things. God have learned that in the last year...

Thanks guys! Big hugs!!!!!
The update is that they increased his IV fluids and re-catheterized him and he started passing urine. Surgeon suspects that since he was told to be NPO from midnight Monday night, for a 2pm Tuesday surgical time, which was then pushed back to almost 8pm that he was probably dehydrated before surgery started. That and a family history of kidney issues combined with surgical/anesthesia shock sent the kidneys into a (hopefully) temporary shut down. Blood count also leveled out for now and the drain is draining less than it had been.
They sent him to the step down unit to keep an extra eye until they're sure he's ok, but I feel much better about it than a few hours ago!

Glad you father is doing better. With my surgery my urine output (even with a catheter) was very low. I was third-spacing and they tried increasing my IV fluids but my body just blew up like a balloon. Took a dose of lasix to get things moving again.

Latest posts

Back