crazy great day

galaxygrrl

Well, so, truth be told I have not weighed myself in about 6 or 7 years. I just gave up, I could not deal with it, all. I spent my whole life starving and dieting and weighing and counting calories. I just gave up. So, when I got diabetes, I had to deal with this, which is why I signed up for surgery. I figured I weighted about 350 pounds, maybe 375.

So, today, I went to my old weight loss program and stepped on the scale. I did a triple take. There was a 2 in front, I kept on looking at it and being it's how much?!?!?! So, it was 265. My heaviest is 275, my last great diet i went from 252 to 137. That was 15 years ago.

So, I'm 85 pounds lighter than I thought I was, which made me really, really happy. I'm 5'3, so a healthy BMI starts at 135 for me.

So, wow, this is totally wonderful. It's amazing to me, that I could just have ignored this for so long. I still walk about 5 to 10 miles a week, which is most likely why I never really got to over 300 pounds.

I still have a long way to go, and really just starting out, but, it's nice to have that weight off my shoulders of how much I weigh.

I actually wish, and I know i will get jumped on for this, but there was more data on the mini-gastric bypass, because i rather get that one, but the switch feels more like a safe bet.

Surgery is Aug 19th. :) Can't wait.

There is plenty enough data in the MGB to know that it is a SHITTY surgery - and many many regretful anecdotal posts by miserable patients have been posted over the last 10 years about it.

If you are afraid of the DS and want to risk your health with a lesser, unproven procedure, consider the SADI instead. At least you won't ruin your stomach.

I understand not weighing for years...I went from 1995 to 2010 without a scale at my house...only time I weighed was at doctor visits. That is why I am not sure of my actual high point of around 250 in 2002. I know it was about that and coming off a medication helped me drop into the 200-215 range but my actual high weight...I don't know. So good for you for staying in the 200's.

You do NOT want any kind of gastric bypass, mini or not. KEEP your pyloric valve.

Wonderful day indeed!

And please, forget mgb even as a flight of fancy. There are good reasons why it has never become a standard of care bariatric surgery - all the drawbacks of the regular gastric bypass, plus the delightful risk of bile reflux. There is nothing "mini" about it, that's just clever marketing, like calling yucky looking brown diamonds "chocolate diamonds". You are on the right path to the DS, keep moving forward.

Wonderful day indeed!

And please, forget mgb even as a flight of fancy. There are good reasons why it has never become a standard of care bariatric surgery - all the drawbacks of the regular gastric bypass, plus the delightful risk of bile reflux. There is nothing "mini" about it, that's just clever marketing, like calling yucky looking brown diamonds "chocolate diamonds". You are on the right path to the DS, keep moving forward.

It was a wonderful day!

I reread about the MGb tonight and I actually was confused. I thought it was more like the Sadi-S and had a sleeve. I looked again at the Sadi-S tonight and the bottom line is I want to deal with this once, so the DS is it.

I understand not weighing for years...I went from 1995 to 2010 without a scale at my house...only time I weighed was at doctor visits. That is why I am not sure of my actual high point of around 250 in 2002. I know it was about that and coming off a medication helped me drop into the 200-215 range but my actual high weight...I don't know. So good for you for staying in the 200's.

You do NOT want any kind of gastric bypass, mini or not. KEEP your pyloric valve.

Thanks for understanding. It's odd looking back at it, but I just could not deal with it. Part of the problem is I did not know about the switch and I just though the Gastric Bypass seemed to not work that well.

When I found out about the DS I was like, wow, that will work for me. I don't understand why it's not more popular.

Who is doing your DS?

My insurance wont pay, so Dr.Esquerra is it.

Last edited:
Just an FYI - I had the gastric bypass lost all the weight gained some back and was still a "success". All my co-morbities were gone I should have been in heaven. But I was MISERABLE! I had severe dumping... No matter what I ate, when I ate it or if I'd taken some sort of binding pill I had to be prepared to locate a restroom quickly. Caused hypoglycemic issues, didn't help at all with maintaining weight loss and just generally sucked.

After years of living like that I was doing research stumbled on this site and did more research on the DS and that it could fix my issue. I had a very tricky revision with Dr K about 90 days ago and it is the BEST decision I could have made. Right now my guts are getting used to their new way of doing things, I have had a few upset stomach, diarrhea issues but NO dumping. Stick with the DS - keep your pyloric bale, better diet and overall better quality of life. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Just an FYI - I had the gastric bypass lost all the weight gained some back and was still a "success". All my co-morbities were gone I should have been in heaven. But I was MISERABLE! I had severe dumping... No matter what I ate, when I ate it or if I'd taken some sort of binding pill I had to be prepared to locate a restroom quickly. Caused hypoglycemic issues, didn't help at all with maintaining weight loss and just generally sucked.

After years of living like that I was doing research stumbled on this site and did more research on the DS and that it could fix my issue. I had a very tricky revision with Dr K about 90 days ago and it is the BEST decision I could have made. Right now my guts are getting used to their new way of doing things, I have had a few upset stomach, diarrhea issues but NO dumping. Stick with the DS - keep your pyloric bale, better diet and overall better quality of life. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Hopefully, your guts will settle soon. It really does get better. Never perfect, but a great quality of life.

Latest posts

Back