Cause or effect?

It's a similar argument to the one going around the diabetes groups...does diabetes cause obesity or does obesity cause diabetes.

I wasn't even close to obese/morbidly obese until I hit my 40's. I had been overweight since I was 12. I am now overweight again by 5 lbs...but it doesn't explain my diabetes returning. My last A1C was 7.4 (my PCP doesn't seem to be concerned and has just told me to watch carbs, well, DUH!!!!!) But it had been creeping up for the last 3 years. Was 6.4 6 months ago. IF IT stays up thru the next one, I will ask to be put back on insulin. Can't go back on an insulin pump as Medicare won't pay for the pump for type 2's. But I have no fear of going back to insulin to help my blood sugars. I suspect my diabetes started when I was 30 since I had peripheral neuropathy symptoms that far back. I just didn't fail the FASTING glucose test until 1997.

Because of my pre-DS diabetes, I have been watching this. Diabetes relapses in about 4% DS patients after about 10 years. (Marceau 2015) (They defined cure as HbA1c <6.5 %). I don't know if the relapse rate keeps going up as time goes on, but it's saved me 11 years with diabetes even if it turns around now. Hope the next A1c turns around for you!

Because of my pre-DS diabetes, I have been watching this. Diabetes relapses in about 4% DS patients after about 10 years. (Marceau 2015) (They defined cure as HbA1c <6.5 %). I don't know if the relapse rate keeps going up as time goes on, but it's saved me 11 years with diabetes even if it turns around now. Hope the next A1c turns around for you!
My previous A1C was 6.4, hoping I can turn it around.

I can't speak to any of this with certitude, but I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism this month, so Hashimoto's. It runs in my family on my father's side. He has it, his cousin has it, and I'm sure so many of his aunts and uncles had it because they were all fat. I've been on the lucky side in that I have no major health issues that we know about at this point other than the thyroid and chronic tendinitis in my left foot. Do I think my thyroid made me blow up to nearly 300lbs? Oh, hell yes, damn right I do. I gained nearly 100lbs in less than a year and I was not eating any differently. I hope getting that diagnosis and by getting the DS in the spring/early summer, I will be able to avoid further health issues that can be related to Hashimoto's. I feel like getting this diagnosis offered me one piece to the larger puzzle of my obesity but I'm not looking for additional conditions. I want to improve my health and that's the entire point of pursuing the WLS and the medical screenings.

It's a similar argument to the one going around the diabetes groups...does diabetes cause obesity or does obesity cause diabetes.

I wasn't even close to obese/morbidly obese until I hit my 40's. I had been overweight since I was 12. I am now overweight again by 5 lbs...but it doesn't explain my diabetes returning. My last A1C was 7.4 (my PCP doesn't seem to be concerned and has just told me to watch carbs, well, DUH!!!!!) But it had been creeping up for the last 3 years. Was 6.4 6 months ago. IF IT stays up thru the next one, I will ask to be put back on insulin. Can't go back on an insulin pump as Medicare won't pay for the pump for type 2's. But I have no fear of going back to insulin to help my blood sugars. I suspect my diabetes started when I was 30 since I had peripheral neuropathy symptoms that far back. I just didn't fail the FASTING glucose test until 1997.

I'm so sorry too.

For me it was a vicious circle. I became diabetic and I am certain it was hereditary because my mom, dad and grandparents were all diabetic. As my diabetes became less controlled with oral meds my weight climbed quickly. Yes I was overweight before it became uncontrolled but I became more and more insulin resistant which in turn packed on more weight. My blood glucose readings were completely controlled without any meds within 3 days of my DS and fasting levels dropped to below 100 within 45 days. I haven't had an A1C lately because my anemia and low RBC screws up the results. It showed I was less than 4.0 (that isn't good for those who automatically think is better..it is too low). My fasting glucose is typically right around 80 so I am confident the less than 4 was not accurate.

I am sorry your numbers are creeping Liz. I hope it reverses course for you.

I have recently been diagnosed as symptomatic hypothyroid. My numbers are technicallyin range but I had been feeling like hell so we are trying to figure it out. I get very dizzy, fatigued, weak and pass out so I want that to stop.

Latest posts

Back