Calcium Malabsorption->>Kidney Stones->>Procedures

FYI: My close friend, a urologist who suffers from kidney stones, goes to work at the hospital every day with a 2 liter bottle of Diet Sierra Mist and drinks it for its precise citric acid formulation. He also believes people with a history of stones should drink enough fluids that they must get up in the middle of the night to pee.

Do I have it back-asswards again?

Uhm...because post-op Calcium Malabsorption is where it starts?

You are technically correct, of course. (As usual.) But, so far, every uro I've been to--a lot, because we move a lot--says it starts, for RnY patients and us, with lowered absorption of calcium, giving (what could or could not be a normal amount of) oxalates an insufficient quantity of calcium to bond with. A highly increased amount of citrate is needed to make it all work correctly. (And we are all told to supplement calcium and I was never told to supplement citrate as part of my post-DS routine.)

So...my understanding is that we ARE citrate deficient, but primarily because post-op we need a lot more citrate due to calcium malabsorption. (I think.)

It can be fixed, for many, with four ounces of pure lemon juice every day. (Of course, all citrus fruits are on the Intertitial Cystitis no-no list.)

Is the title misleading?
My understanding is same as Diana's, but was told the additional issue with not absorbing enough calcium it all of the fat that passes through instead of absorbing, and fat also binds to the calcium taking out a good share of it.

You take Urocit-k, right? I thought I recall you did, and that's to raise the citrate in urine. Maybe you need more of that.

Also, that low oxalate diet is a joke. Last I looked, there was no evidence that it actually helps prevent calcium/oxallate stones, so my uro said for not bother, plus we are better off eating healthy stuff like kale anyway.

Last edited:
Thanks, Hil. My aged uro (he's 42...lol) was REALLY pleased with the stone smashing. It's the first time I had to do it under a general. But he said it made for a more stationary target. Thing is... I'm not peeeing sand. I always pee sand after this procedure. Uro said the stones looked flat as pancakes. So...maybe they went to powder and dissolved? Who knows? He says he smashed them. Maybe I need to do a handstand or something?

*IF* you do a handstand, I want a picture! ;) Powder sounds better than sand, so hurrah for the uro if that is the case. I just want for you to feel fantastic soon!

FYI: My close friend, a urologist who suffers from kidney stones, goes to work at the hospital every day with a 2 liter bottle of Diet Sierra Mist and drinks it for its precise citric acid formulation. He also believes people with a history of stones should drink enough fluids that they must get up in the middle of the night to pee.
Heck yah, I was given the OK for as much diet citrus soda as I wanted, and have bonzed the diet mtn dew ever since. AAAND, that may be a factor in my lack of stones of late.

Would someone kindly translate for an intellectually-challenged type like me?

Is consuming citrus good or bad as far as developing kidney stones is concerned?
Should I be taking Calcium Citrate with food, yes or no? And Magnesium citrate?
What about Jarrow Bone-ups?

I've already had an anal fissure and now I have a hernia. I don't need kidney stones, too.:cry:

Thanks, MM

Is consuming citrus good or bad as far as developing kidney stones is concerned?

I've already had an anal fissure and now I have a hernia. I don't need kidney stones, too.:cry:

Thanks, MM

My limited knowledge follows:

Citrate...including citrus juice, is good for preventing kidney stones. Sveral doctors told me to drink AT LEAST four ounces of lemon juice/day.

Calcium citrate is our preferred (more bio-available) calcium. I take about 3000mg/day, 500mg at a time, not with food each time because that would be a LOT of meals.

I take a small amount of mag citrate at night.

On the Jarrow...
I'm not a Jarrow fan because they are "cocktails," and I don't nderstand them and I prefer to mix my own. And I never have understood the calcium vs elemental calcium thing, but it takes SIX capsules to get to 1000mg of elemental calcium....and I guess I'm just out of my league on this part.

supp_facts_BU240_lrg.jpg

Thanks, MM
I have had all three since my DS and my chronic fissure was there 6-9 months

Thanks, MM
If you read my last blurb above, you'll see I'm better at translating facts into gibberish, but I'll try to share what I learn and my uro tries to pound into my heard.
Citrate is indeed good for helping deter stones, but my own super power is making kidney stones (I did this before my DS as well, but know the DS has probably exacerbated this) and there is no amount of citrus I can consume that will make enough difference. If you want to try and get your citrate from natural means, lemon juice (make sure it's real) is better than most. I take something called Urocit-K which is a potent prescription form of potassium citrate.

I've read several reasons why taking calcium with food is good, but my main reason is so it can bind up the oxalate in food that I eat (and I need to take enough so whatever is going to bind w/ fat with do that, and then there is still enough to bind with oxalate too) and then pass out of me in my stool - not let excess oxalate absorb in the first place.

I take some Jarrow, but not as my cheapo fat/oxalate binding stuff I gobble with each meal. I just take Citrical with food.

I take more magnesium as well to help with kidney stones, and while I used to take it at a 50% ratio to my calcium, I now take the same of each calcium and magnesium on my urologists suggestion. Been at that ratio for about a year, and no out of whack labs yet, but I have some coming up soon so I'll see if that's still the case.

I am glad that I am not the only one confused by all of this "stuff". I just figure that I am fucked and when they start flaring up I will worry about it then. I mean my body has done so well with all of this other DS stuff so I am sure it will be a kideney stone producing fool, :D

"FODMAPs are osmotic (means they pull water into the intestinal tract), may not be digested or absorbed well and could be fermented upon by bacteria in the intestinal tract when eaten in excess"

i don't know what amount "in excess" is, but I think you can have SOME watermelon. But I've never heard of eating just one cup of watermelon, ever.

Citrate...including citrus juice, is good for preventing kidney stones. Sveral doctors told me to drink AT LEAST four ounces of lemon juice/day.
So maybe my habit of adding lemon juice to my iced tea is good for me?
On the Jarrow...
I'm not a Jarrow fan because they are "cocktails," and I don't nderstand them and I prefer to mix my own. And I never have understood the calcium vs elemental calcium thing, but it takes SIX capsules to get to 1000mg of elemental calcium....and I guess I'm just out of my league on this part.
Jarrow has one variety of Bone Up that is the 3 serving size and gets 1000 mgs of calcium:

71XAvu9wJiL._SX522_.jpg

I use it for the calcium, MK-7, and Boron. The other stuff is just a "bonus". Kinda like my multi.

I use Citracal as well.

My limited knowledge follows:

Calcium citrate is our preferred (more bio-available) calcium. I take about 3000mg/day, 500mg at a time, not with food each time because that would be a LOT of meals.

I take a small amount of mag citrate at night.

On the Jarrow...

supp_facts_BU240_lrg.jpg

Thank you. I understand that! Do you know anything about Vitamin C? I have been under the impression that it can produce bad oxalates? I'm getting an iron infusion in a couple of weeks so I don't think I'll have to take iron for a while and therefore I can stop the Vitamin C, too? Or should I keep taking the C?

Latest posts

Back