caffeine.

SJB41976

I am getting off of caffeine (coffee, my main drug) before surgery so I don't have the horrible withdrawal headache. I have been gradually getting off since the new year. This is very difficult for me because I am ADHD and coffee truly acts like a stimulant for me. My brain does not function well without it. Plus, I get more headaches when I am completely off coffee/caffeine. Not the withdrawal headaches, but I am more prone to headaches once I am off coffee, no matter how long it has been.

Besides that I LOVE coffee. I am addict, I don't mind admitting it. I think I love it so much because it makes my brain function better. I just don't feel the same without it.

When did you start drinking coffee again after surgery? I would think in the beginning on liquids it wouldn't be a good idea so I will stick with hot tea. I never stopped when I had the VSG done and could not for the life of me understand why I had the runs.:D:D:D. And it was Starbucks no less! I mean, what was I thinking!? I eventually got off of caffeine and drank decaf for about 4 months after surgery until my headaches got so bad I decided to get back on the regular stuff.

I am happy that so many people drink coffee post surgery and I can actually have whipping cream in my coffee every day! Yum!!!

I :rotating: coffee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coffee makes me human in the morning...I can't human without it, just ask my cats!!!

However, I did get off coffee prior to my surgery and stayed off til I was about two weeks after surgery...then I eased back into it. While I don't count my coffee toward my fluid goals, I don't get anal about it either. Just do not buy into the "coffee is dehydrating". It IS a diuretic but the only study done was in the 1920's and they ASSUMED that because it was a diuretic, it had to be dehydrating.

Coffee with heavy whipping cream is awesome. I add butter to mine cause I get constipated otherwise.

I didn't bother getting off caffeine before surgery - I figured the pain meds would help me through the first few days of no-caffeine headache.

I tried to drink coffee when I got home - but OMFG - it smelled HORRIBLE! No way I could let it touch my lips! I was devastated.

Fortunately, around 2 months out, it suddenly smelled delicious again, and I was back on my HEEUUGE mug a day coffee habit.

I didn't bother getting off caffeine before surgery - I figured the pain meds would help me through the first few days of no-caffeine headache.
I KNEW better. Back about a year ago, I had my third and last jaw surgery. I had to go without anything the morning of surgery. By the time I got to OR prep, the nurse asked me about current "pain level" if any...told her I was getting the headache from hell due to no caffeine...she asked the surgeon if it was okay to give me something for the headache intravenously.

11825126_1015645441800760_8097346632737709307_n.jpg

I never even made and attempt to get off caffiene. Surgeon never brought it up. They did, however give me tea, coffee and milk , and juice as soon as I could drink. All of those struck me as odd. I didn't have surgery in the US, and coconut water was the main liquid post op, meaning I can't even LOOK at it to this day.

I've had several surgeries since, and the hospital asked both times if I drank coffee, and when I said yes, they just said they'd add a few caffeine pills a day so I wouldn't get a headache. The nurse said it is standard for them to ask this, since so many people drink it, and may or may not realize it's an addiction that can cause a withdrawal headache. Thank goodness because I don't think my stomach would have been up to drinking it.

I soooo wish that I had given up coffee before surgery. I had such headaches from withdrawal that they made me vomit. If not for the caffeine withdrawal, I bet I would not have even gotten sick. The headaches were horrendous! I was in a hospital in Utah so even if I could have stomached the stuff, I doubt I would have been given any.

It took me a few months after surgery to be able to tolerate coffee again. It was the taste and the smell that threw me. I was raised on coffee, love, love, love it!! I got to the point that I was glad to not be dependent on my cup of joe to get me going in the morning. Now, I am slowly turning back into a java monster. I must have my one morning cappuccino. I think I would rather just be addicted to plain old coffee but, nope. I need my cappuccino!

I gave coffee up before surgery for the same reason, didn't want to deal with the headache on top of pain. Good thing I did because they gave me crap meds that didn't do a thing and I didn't have anything after I was discharged the next day. I haven't had any coffee since so for about 4 months. I also have the brain fogginess etc and felt that coffee was helpful for that but I am actually more alert now. And my job is tediously boring but I don't need the coffee now it seems. I do have a starbucks decaf skinny something once in a while when the miralax alone is not cutting it. Starbucks always "does the job" for me.

I never tried to get off coffee either and I do count it towards my fluid intake. I get at least 50 oz a day from water, but I get another 36-48 from coffee with half and half. After my initial DS surgery, much like Dianna I couldn't drink it but a few months down the line I did. My main reason was GERD symptoms. It gave me heart burn even with my twice a day max dose PPI.

A warning about tea. Tea, especially mint, can be a GERD trigger as well so tread lightly after surgery. The one thing my surgeon did right was put every DS patient on a PPI immediately after surgery.

@bearmom I think I would gag if I had to drink coconut water right after surgery. I mean, I like it, but certain brands are awful.

@VDLT I am so sorry they didn't give you adequate pain medication. Crazy. And not sending you home with any?? Wha?????

@chevtow so sad. That is all.

@DSRIGGS I am on Nexium and it works great. But thanks for the heads up.

I could not stand the taste of coffee for about 2 months post op. As for withdrawal headaches - did not notice them. Had so many other things going on to distract me.

@VDLT I am so sorry they didn't give you adequate pain medication. Crazy. And not sending you home with any?? Wha?????

They gave me a script for the same crap they gave me in the hospital so I didn't bother to fill it. They told me I could also take liquid Tylenol but it made me gag so I had to deal with a lot of pain (band removal, hernia repair, and sleeve) straight up

Latest posts

Back