Before You Spend $26,000 on Weight-Loss Surgery, Do This

Exactly. All diets fail and are pointless over the long term. This type of commentary will only serve to blame people for having diabetes, regardless of the genetic, biological, social, and psychological differences that led them to be an overweight diabetic in the first place. I am the poster child for these researchers. If you looked at me in year one, it all worked great. As time went on, hunger returned, irritability and cognitive effects of the low carb diet worked against me, my genetics and biology overwhelmed my initial success with no additional loss, and I was cooking for a family of four who didn't want to be eating low carb with me. It is completely useless science to look at the short term, compared to real life over several years. Diabetes is forever, diets are for a few months. All the years I spent dieting didn't cure my diabetes. DS did it within weeks. At $26,000, it was a health care bargain. They have no scientific support for their conclusion that low carb is better than WLS for diabetes after year 2 for most of the study subjects. I have 11 years without diabetes because of DS. I feel for the people they are putting through the pointless energy trying low carb eating and I hope these people find the only successful treatment for diabetes, which is WLS.

What bothers me is that the story isn't open to comments so I can ask about their data showing their fucking low carb bullshit diet works. It still kind of ticks me off that many DS'RS think the DS works because of low carb and don't get that at the end of the day it is energy consumed or on our case absorbed vs enervy expended. There is a guy in Dr K duodenal switch private FB group who tries to use studies/data to prove that point but many don't want hear it.

The bottom line is that this article is dangeros because it perpetuates the diet myth and runs down the DS, well bariatric surgery, and of course we all know only the DS is long term successful but it is lumped in with everything else and never given its due. I hate that everybody out there equates WLS with rny gbp and really want that to change

I thought the same thing about the comments. I think it's because it's a guest opinion. You should write a letter to the editor. :)

There is a diabetes-diet industrial complex and thousands of people will lose the jobs if metabolic surgery becomes standard. What will all the diabetes educators and diabetes nutritionists do? What losses will affect all the diabetes pharmaceutical companies, diabetes testing devices, and diabetes bars and drinks? If you run a diabetes lifestyle clinic or a nutrition service, as the authors do, how do you replace your income when diabetes is mostly cured? These people will not go quietly into accepting that metabolic surgery works better than what they provide, because they personally stand to lose while their patients succeed with surgery.

There is a diabetes-diet industrial complex and thousands of people will lose the jobs if metabolic surgery becomes standard. What will all the diabetes educators and diabetes nutritionists do? What losses will affect all the diabetes pharmaceutical companies, diabetes testing devices, and diabetes bars and drinks? If you run a diabetes lifestyle clinic or a nutrition service, as the authors do, how do you replace your income when diabetes is mostly cured? These people will not go quietly into accepting that metabolic surgery works better than what they provide, because they personally stand to lose while their patients succeed with surgery.
Kind of like the drug addiction, I mean big pharma and rehab industry?

ALL I know is following my METER was the best advice I got for lowering my A1C. I found that FOR ME, rice may as well be pure glucose. However, potatoes barely budged my meter.

But following my meter did one thing...made me acknowledge that for the MOST part, carbs were not and never had been my friend. It didn't matter if they were fruits or starches or veggies. Protein and fat did not make my meter rise. CARBS of all kinds did.

And for those of us on an insulin pump, an acceptable rise was using your pre-meal number, having it go up no more than 80 points and inside of two hours be back to within 5 points of the pre-meal number. So if your pre-meal number was 80, a rise to 160 was acceptable as long as it fell back to an 80 +/- 5 points.

The rebuttal effectively challenged the proof behind the low carb diet, but did not address the slur in the headline about WLS. $26,000 is cheap, if you look at what people pay the "experts" who make their living selling a treatment that doesn't work. Limbs are lost, kidneys are destroyed, heart attacks happen, and blindness affects people with diabetes who put their heart and soul into a treatment without scientific support that has almost no chance of helping them. There is a class action lawsuit into this fraud. Any physician who treats people with diabetes without explaining the proven benefits of WLS and the unproven value of low carb diets is committing malpractice. The only thing that will change this is for the lawyers to get involved. Sue the bastards.

The headline should have been: Forget Low Carb, WLS Is the Only Effective Diabetes Treatment.

Latest posts

Back