anyone do this without a support system?

I have a fairly active desk job which involves pulling files down from shelves, lifting boxes (anywhere from five to fifty pounds), twisting, bending, stretching all that and I went back at three weeks out (so I took two weeks off starting with the day before surgery). It was okay, unpleasant but okay I could do it. I brought a pillow in for the chair and the bus ride and made it work. But and this is an extremely important BUT I had no complications! My surgery was long nearly 9 hours and I suffered a little from gas pains from being inflated and shaking off the anesthetic but other than that it was pretty much a textbook recovery. However, as Sandy has mentioned I had weight restrictions (nothing heavier than a gallon of milk so eight pounds) for six weeks so I had to make accommodations with my boss for that.
On the issue of support, I live alone so my mom (who is retired) came up for three weeks and it was nice. Did I need her? Well other than the ride home which at two days out of surgery I absolutely could not have done on my own (nor would my doctor have let me) not really. I was on full liquids for a while after surgery and since I had shopped before surgery I didn't need help with that. I would however strongly suggest that you have someone to at least check on you daily.

There are no absolutes. Everyone responds differently. Some people do just fine on their own. Others need help getting around and doing things. You will need someone to check on you. Maybe someone at the surgeon's office?

Be careful handling those dogs, okay? Take care of yourself.

A few random thoughts on "do I really need help?"

1--if a college football team has a wild party in your house, does it matter much if they went in through the smallest window in your house or through the big double French doors out to your patio? Not so much imho; the damage inside will be the same, even if it doesn't take much time or money to repair that little window. Same with Open v. Lap surgery. Just because the incision area is healing well and rapidly does NOT mean that you are equally healed inside. People who look at healing lap incisions and think that means they are good to go are just dumber than a box of rocks.

2--since there are weight restrictions, those apply equally to lifting your own weight...so what happens if you slip and fall? Make sure your phone is ALWAYS within reach, but (as I said earlier) having someone else in the house while you shower is not a bad idea.

3--sometimes it's just the bending and twisting. Will you be able to clean up the mess if you drop an egg on the floor? I have found that the logistics of post-op fanny wiping are much improved with a bidet toilet seat or even a bidet attachment. And a hand-held shower attachment.

4--if you prepare for (including knowing whom to call and having the funds to pay them) needing help and do not need it, you can keep your money. But the time when you really NEED help is the worst time to start looking for it.

5--YMMV. Some people have zero post-op issues, others have diarrhea OFTEN immediately post-op...which means washing clothes, and sometimes sheets and all that stuff. That's a lot of work for someone who is just trying to stay hydrated and stop pooping...and it can involve bending and lifting.

6--does your pharmacy deliver? If you have a post-op issue that requires a new prescription, do you have a way to get that prescription?

7--taking trash out often (while it doesn't weigh much) may be a problem for some people, especially if they have to negotiate stairs or long hikes.

I will probably think of more later.

That darned "drop an egg on the floor" thought pops into my head every time I have surgery and I have to make arrangements for help. Darn you - or Thanks!. :)

Once, at my heaviest, when Mr. Sue was gone for the day and I was at home barely functioning, I did drop an egg on the floor. And I was in tears. (Yes, me.) Trying to decide how to clean it up and get back up again. It was torture.

you're doing a great job making me think seriously and/or motivating me to do it with diet and exercise....

you're doing a great job making me think seriously and/or motivating me to do it with diet and exercise....
It is serious business. While surgery may be your final option, it's not something to go into lightly. This is a MAJOR deal. Just recovering from surgery is part. You also need to be dedicated to vitamins, eating correctly for your surgery, and being a PITA to doctors and nurses and NUTS from this point out.

Yes, I can kennel them, and I can save for that expense. They can leash pull and are 20lbs each, so I get that lifting and walking them first week wouldn't be wise. But do you absolutely need a health aide?

Where can I read more about healing from the operation?
Go read the thread on the main board, "Never had surgery? Here's what to expect."

Depending on where you live and when this all happens, I might be able to have your dogs over for a visit. Jack would get a kick out of the company :).

There is someone somewhere who owes you a favor. It's a good time to call them in.

I have a story for you about a good friend who was also a co worker. The office was a snakepit full of gossipy women. My friend came to me one day and told me she was having a boob job. Insurance was paying because one of her boobs was quite a bit smaller than the other. She was worried to death about keeping it all totally hush hush. I told her I was capable of keeping my big mouth shut but she was living in the Twilight Zone if she thought she was going to come back to work Monday morning with boobs and no one would notice. Why was she telling me? Because she wanted me to be available to help her if necessary.

My friend was one of those really private people and I knew many considered her to be a bit snobbish. Really she was just scared of them. I knew trying to keep it secret would be like pouring fuel on a fire. Fresh meat for the gossip mongers!!!! I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt she would end up being seriously hurt.

I told her it was a total mistake to try to keep it secret and explained why. She was terrified but said she would think about it. She came back a couple days later and said I was right. She told everyone! Then she found out she had more supporters than she thought. Turned out probably 1/3 of the women in the office had had their boobs done. She spent a part of the next few days in the bathroom looking at scars and boobs. And a lot of those women who thought she was a snob became her friends. It changed her whole work life and she became much more popular in the office.

So this story is a bit simplistic but true. I hope you take it in the spirit it is given.

Just to add to what everyone else is saying. The first few weeks, I didn't like anything that I had bought pre-op and I swear my boyfriend made multiple trips to the stores to get me random things to see if I could eat them . I would recommend trying to find someone to hang out for a bit, or someone that is really close that can drop by at the drop of a hat. :)

"Where there is a will, there is a way." I thought about doing this myself. I have a dog and a cat, major steps into my house, and live in the mountains. It was going to be a challenge.

I planned what I needed (read the post op threads a lot), shopped and pre-cooked, put things into the freezer, bought protein powder samples (I drank them but hated them all), bought Depends (in case I had diarrhea), etc. I had a friend pick me up at the hospital only because my surgeon required it - cause my car was in the parking lot and I would have preferred to leave the hospital in my own car.

I got a walker from Goodwill, which really helped me get out of the chair (I slept in the chair also) and helped stabilize me while showering.

My incision (open surgery) got infected with a MRSA infection that wiped me out. I was very lucky my sister was came to take care of me. But I could have done it on my own. The first 2 weeks were the rough part, and I slept and slept.

Definitely get a pet walker and they can feed and water as part of the service. Also, work something out with them that if they knock on the door and you don't answer, or there is no note on the door that you are in the hospital, to dial 911.

And if you can get the weight off by dieting and exercise, then that is the right way to go. IMHO, this surgery should be your last ditch attempt. It is not the 'easy way out' and if I could have gotten the 100 lbs off any other way, I would have.

That darned "drop an egg on the floor" thought pops into my head every time I have surgery and I have to make arrangements for help. Darn you - or Thanks!. :)

That's what the dogs are for ;)

I actually ended up driving myself home from the hospital but it wasn't the brightest thing I've ever done. My ride was having an anxiety attack of sorts and she was gonna kill us both behind the wheel. I had her pull over and took the wheel. I also stopped on my way home to pick up some Pepto Bismol and walked Walmart :) Other than taking care of the dogs, I could have done it on my own but I didn't have to as I had a wonderful friend bringing me water and tablespoons of soup on demand :sneaky: . I didn't have any complications other than blurry vision and that darned Afib that put me in the cardiac unit after week 2 o_O I really am a loner and don't ask for help well, it's difficult and so disappointing when promises are broken it seems not worth it but if you think about it, I bet you have one or two people that you could get to rotate coming over every or every other day to help. As for your pups, there are teenagers that will walk them for cheap, call your local high school and let them know you have a need...they normally know someone.

Your health is nothing to gamble with, you don't need 24 hour care but do need a somewhat reliable check in people that you can call on in an emergency as well as to help with what you can't do.

Keep the faith and take the risk of asking for help :eek:

me

Latest posts

Back