Another question from a DS infant

Yeah, and Dr. K probably would cringe over how much I inhale BUT my weight is pretty stable, and I am not constipated OR too loose. I am at my happy place with my bowels.

I'd rather eat cheese than chips. (and don't get me wrong, I LOVE chips)
I think I have a different read on what Dr K is saying in regard to fat. He says to eat what balances you. His issue is with people intentionally intentionally and regularly adding tons of extra fat too their diet. His philosophy is that if you are eating right there is plenty of fat in the foods we eat for the average DS'r to keep regular. He believes a balance of diet, calcium, a good probiotic and hydration is the way to control pooping. That is my take on what he says.

BTW, when we were talking probiotics I told him that I struggled with it at first because it hurt my gut. He said that there is a school of thought that if it bothers your gut for a week or two after starting that it simply means that you were deficient in those strains and conversely if it doesn't bother you then you were already good in that regard and you should try another strain make up.

I am going for my 1st dr visit after my surgery tomorrow. 2 weeks. I've stuck to the liquid diet, but added cheese a few days ago. No issues. Tomorrow, they are going to clear me for eggs, that's it, just eggs and liquid. I know that they are using the diet guidelines for Rny, not ds. Where can I find more appropriate guidelines for my surgery, regarding food progression? Extremely low energy is my only real issue and I think food might help. I'm not trying to rush the process, but would like to know what is acceptable for me at this stage beyond liquid, some cheese and hopefully eggs(tomorrow). Anywhere I could look for suggestions, or, in your experience, how do you proceed while doing no harm?

Every doctor has different guidelines. Mine was conservative: clear liquids for 10 days, full liquids for 10 days, softs for 10 days, then whatever can be tolerated.

Be careful with eggs. I couldn't handle eggs without puking for months... in fact I still have trouble with them 6.5 months out.

Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, refried beans with grated cheese on top, string cheese, peanut butter, Wendy's Chili (closer to 1 month out)

I really struggled early so I am not much help, but whatever you feel you can eat. I would avoid hot and spicy and really gassy foods but soups and anything that sounds good. Just trember take a bite and then give it a good few minutes to see how you do before pushing on

More questions. All I do is drink, and I still feel dehydrated. Water sits like a rock in my stomach. I can drink salty liquids more easily. Is Gatorade an option, or is there something in it I should avoid. I know it is salty too, I'm just trying to avoid dehydration. Getting a bag of ice and going back to keeping that in my mouth. Second question. I teach, so, I'm off for the summer. I was folding g some of my work clothes and wondering if it is safe to get rid of tbe ones tat are roomy on me at this point. At 2.5 months, I'll likely be in a different size altogether, right? And, I keep wondering, if through this, I will be able to shop in the normal size section. I really hope so

Try different things. I found a lemonade flavor helped, or ice tea. It changed from day to day. Whatever works, get that hydration in!

As far as food... I had eggs, soft cheese, and tuna with LOTS of mayo early on. I wasn't able to do protein shakes, AT ALL... made me too full, so I couldn't get my water in. Try only a bite of something and see how it settles. Don't try a whole bunch then regret it! Baby steps. It really is DIFFERENT for everyone.

@Newb go easy with adding food - remember that stomach has been cut and stapled and oversewn from the top to the bottom. Then it is trying to heal with all that stomach acid bathing it constantly. I would trust my surgeon on this one. The RNY and DS and VSG are dramatic cutting to the stomach. @Clematis has some great suggestions of food to try, but go easy. Remember, in that cutting, stapling and oversewing - nerves were cut so you can rely on feedback to tell you when you are full. Try a tiny amount and see how it sits.

Latest posts

Back