Annual labs and DEXA scan

Follow up on the microscopic blood in urine issue:
  • I had a CT scan last week, and the results were fine (at least with respect to my kidneys). No stones. A couple of other minor issues were noted - including an abdominal hernia I didn't know I have (I'm unlikely to do anything about it right now, although I DO need another surgery in the vicinity for a benign lipoma that is a bit bigger than a hen's egg, so maybe someday I'll go for the twofer).
  • Today, I had my first (and I hope last) urology appointment and cystoscopy - nothing found, and the urinalysis prior to the scope was negative for blood cells. I got a dose of Cipro afterwards to ward off any accidental UTI from the scope.
Done with that issue, and I've got a clean bill of health for my bladder, as well as my kidneys. Yay.

So glad to hear everything looks good.

Just curious: did they recommend anything based on your Dexa scan? Or do they feel weight bearing exercise is enough?

Last edited:
So glad to hear everything looks good.

Just curious: did they recommend anything based on your Dexa scan? Or do they feel weight bearing exercise is enough?
I haven't had my appointment with my PCP yet - that's mid-August.

I had my yearly check up with my DS-savvy PCP today. She was SO pleased with me. My bloodwork is damned near perfect, with minor tweaks of a few slightly low numbers being made. My D3 is at 88, my PTH is at 35. My VitA is holding steady with NO supplementation. My BP is 106/60, my pulse is 60. FBS is fine.

My weight was 205, which is a bounceback (that happened all at once 5 years ago) of 35 lbs, and I will be 61 on Sunday. My bones are healthy (had my biannual DEXA scan too - she was not concerned about the wrist measurement), and a little extra weight both seems to help with that and seems to suit me (though if 30-40 lbs fell off me with no effort on my part, I will admit I would be thrilled). Women in my family tend to be obese until their 70s, and then lose weight, so I can sorta justify it as "padding" - ( :) ).

But, I don't want my knees to be the sign that I need to do something, so ... maybe more mindful carb eating is in order. Maybe.

I'm reading and trying to take all this in, in the hopes I'll have to be worrying about it some day. Forgive what might be a stupid question - and if I should have read it somewhere, feel free to tell me off. I've been doing a lot of reading everywhere I can find it but I'm not done. I'll never be done.

Stupid question: Why do you not take your vitamins the day of testing?

I'm reading and trying to take all this in, in the hopes I'll have to be worrying about it some day. Forgive what might be a stupid question - and if I should have read it somewhere, feel free to tell me off. I've been doing a lot of reading everywhere I can find it but I'm not done. I'll never be done.

From what I understand, it's so that the readings are not skewed by what's floating around in your bloodstream from just digesting the pills, but reflecting what your body's true levels are. And yes, I'm super-duper scientific :laugh::geek:;)

Not stupid..
Most will refrain from taking vitamins the day of testing...at least until AFTER the lab work and then take them after they get back home. It's not that we don't take them at all that day, just delay them...gives our bodies a 24 +/- window of no supplementation.

I had my yearly check up with my DS-savvy PCP today. She was SO pleased with me. My bloodwork is damned near perfect, with minor tweaks of a few slightly low numbers being made. My D3 is at 88, my PTH is at 35. My VitA is holding steady with NO supplementation. My BP is 106/60, my pulse is 60. FBS is fine.

My weight was 205, which is a bounceback (that happened all at once 5 years ago) of 35 lbs, and I will be 61 on Sunday. My bones are healthy (had my biannual DEXA scan too - she was not concerned about the wrist measurement), and a little extra weight both seems to help with that and seems to suit me (though if 30-40 lbs fell off me with no effort on my part, I will admit I would be thrilled). Women in my family tend to be obese until their 70s, and then lose weight, so I can sorta justify it as "padding" - ( :) ).

But, I don't want my knees to be the sign that I need to do something, so ... maybe more mindful carb eating is in order. Maybe.
That is excellent news.

I'm kinda swooning over your vitamin D level. Sure, it's not at the absolute top rung of the ladder, but from someone that busts her ass to get it out of the 20's, it sounds almost unattainable. Isn't it great to hear such kudos from your doc?

I just about sprained me cheeks smiling when my pcp said I'm one of the healthiest adults she sees, which is such a wonderful contrast to the results I'd get back when MO, leaving the office nearly in tears.

YAY on your great numbers, and I'll raise a glass to our fucking awesome DSs!

Hey @DianaCox 2 years ago my mother got sick and started wasting/ loosing weight. The docs around here think its good if you are more mature to have a little extra. He said if she hadn't had that extra she wouldn't have been able to survive. Her identical twin is now in hospice they told her same thing.

Latest posts

Back