And, not everything comes to a halt...

Fair enough! The remodeling cascade you describe sounds like a grown-up version If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. I'm still enjoying a 1950 bathroom in our place because I find the thought of remodeling to be daunting. Hot tub sounds divine!

Timing-wise, the interior work wouldn’t be able to start until sometime after June, when (I hope) the crisis is over - but the heat is in full force. I’m a little anxious about living in the RV in 115 degree temps, but it has two ACs and we have a very comprehensive warranty that would be able to fix it it it broke. And my daughter’s in-laws live in our community, so as an emergency, I think they would take us in, assuming the crisis has passed.

But your point is well taken. We will have to have contractors coming to the house for estimates, and will need to be super careful, with masks, Lysol, etc.

Last edited:
Timing-wise, the interior work wouldn’t be able to start until sometime after June, when (I hope) the crisis is over - but the heat is in full force. I’m a little anxious about living in the RV in 115 degree temps, but it has two ACs and we have a very comprehensive warranty that would be able to fix it it it broke. And my daughter’s in-laws live in our community, so as an emergency, I think they would take us in, assuming the crisis has passed.

But your point is well taken. We will have to have contractors coming to the house for estimates, and will need to be super careful, with masks, Lysol, etc.

June?

Contractors schedule weeks in advance. The snowbirds will have left by June.

Peak temps here are earlier than in CA - and I don’t believe those overnight lows - it never gets below 95 by midnight in the summer.

April 86° / 59°
May 94° / 67°
June 104° / 76°
July 106° / 82°
August 105° / 81°
September100° / 75°

Contractors schedule weeks in advance. The snowbirds will have left by June.

Peak temps here are earlier than in CA - and I don’t believe those overnight lows - it never gets below 95 by midnight in the summer.

April 86° / 59°
May 94° / 67°
June 104° / 76°
July 106° / 82°
August 105° / 81°
September100° / 75°
LOL

We’re looking at different sets of numbers. Yours are weather temps, mine are COVID-19 temps. HUGE difference.

As I am admittedly next in line for the Debbie Downer title, we add a grain of salt to my predictions, but…unless and until we have a decent test to identify COVID-19 antibodies and/or a vaccine, I don’t see anything getting close to “back to normal” in the foreseeable future. Maybe because my grandfather often mentioned the “Spanish Flu,” which killed one of his sisters and impacted his life in Europe during World War I.

IOW, I would not send any kid of mine to school until EVERYONE entering the building tested clean. Every week. MiniSue thinks school will start as usual in late August/early September. I don’t. I don’t see teachers’ unions (where they have unions) ignoring the fact that their members will be exposed to about 150 little human vectors—many of whom have moronic parents—every day.

Example…MiniSue and her beloved and their every-other-week 10-yr-old’s environment. The lot started out as a deep lot with one house in front. Same thing next door. Driveways adjacent. Instead of subdividing into separate addresses, both owners built rental units. The driveways are almost a street, and the whole thing is almost a cul de sac, with two normal size houses on the street. And eight tiny houses, too close together, all them containing children…I don’t know how many…maybe 12-15 children who are outside playing together every day. And their parents are in and out, no masks visible. MiniSue and her guy have had to explain that they are making her miserable because they love her.

We will complete the kitchen installation and then no more strangers in our house; we’ll continue to order online anything that can be ordered online.

That would depend on how things are going by say mid-June. AZ is supposed to peak in April 27th. The antibody tests should be deployed by then sufficiently to do some better estimates of rates of infection.

I’m thinking the contractors around here would be so desperate for work that if require them to wear masks in the house all the time (when they are used to wearing them at least some of the time, for dust-generating work), they will agree, and if Charles is wearing one to supervise, that would help.

And while I would expect the contractors to leave the house broom clean, I would also have the cleaning people come in afterwards, before we moved back in. I watched them as they cleaned last week, and they used gloves and lots of disinfectant. I would then go behind them and spray Lysol on surfaces, knobs, handles, etc.

Here’s a question for the hive mind: has anyone seen a stove where there are both gas and induction burners? I’ve seen a ridiculously expensive cooktop, and an even more ridiculous stove, but I’m hoping for something more reasonable.

IOW, I would not send any kid of mine to school until EVERYONE entering the building tested clean. Every week. MiniSue thinks school will start as usual in late August/early September. I don’t. I don’t see teachers’ unions (where they have unions) ignoring the fact that their members will be exposed to about 150 little human vectors—many of whom have moronic parents—every day.
And since there are many false negative, I’m not sure I would trust it even then.

Oldest daughter, works IT in a hospital, got sick about 12 days ago. ALL THE SYMPTOMS! Yet tested negative twice. She’s staying self quarantined in the basement of her house til she’s fever free for three consecutive days.

And since there are many false negative, I’m not sure I would trust it even then.

Oldest daughter, works IT in a hospital, got sick about 12 days ago. ALL THE SYMPTOMS! Yet tested negative twice. She’s staying self quarantined in the basement of her house til she’s fever free for three consecutive days.

indeed. I got sick in February. Unlike any previous “sick.” I had the ”flu shot,” accidentally had it twice. I got it five days after cuddling w/a sick kid. It lasted forever. Maybe I had a mild case of the flu...or...like others, a mild case of COVID-19. I think one test...PCR?…will tell me if I’ve had it.

MiniSue still has her new job. She sits at home reading emails she barely understands. She may pass her probationary period before she gets a phone and a desk.

“That would depend on how things are going by say mid-June. AZ is supposed to peak in April 27th.”

Yes, but? I think that assumes that all social distancing and other recommendations are followed…and AZ hasn’t implemented all of them. (Either has CA.)

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

I just NEED you to be careful. You are the higher risk gender, he is higher risk w/his issues, you live in a higher risk county...and we didn’t even mention Ted, did we?

Actually men are the higher risk gender, but we’re all in the high risk age groups.

It may well be that after the death rate exponentially increases in the next several weeks, a lot of things will change.

Actually men are the higher risk gender, but we’re all in the high risk age groups.

It may well be that after the death rate exponentially increases in the next several weeks, a lot of things will change.
MiniSue is convinced it will change here.

Meanwhile, people are finding out they HAD covid and didnt know it. I suspect my daughter is one of those.

That is part of the problem here on Long Island. There is very limited access to testing. Every sniffle or dry cough makes you wonder. You are limiting contact with others and it is quite possible you have been exposed or have the virus but without being sure you stay self quarantined. Medical professionals say to quarantine yourself for 2 weeks. But if no one knows if they have it or have been exposed how do you determine when to end the quarantine? I think it is the uncertainty that is making me so anxious.

Latest posts

Back