Am I too old?

Barbara

I have been reading this sight for months and it seems to me that most DS ers are younger than I am. I'm 58. Seriously, am I too old for an r n y revision to DS? I was in my late 40s when I had my r n y. I had no issues with that surgery. Would appreciate your thoughts.

@Spiky Bugger That's good to hear. I don't really have a choice. Physically my life is so limited. I can't imagine being this heavy (probably more) in 10 years. I won't be able to move! I love being part of this site. So real and honest. So helpful. So accepting of everyone's journey.

@Barbara - I'm sure you'll be fine. I was so worried about complications before my surgery. For one, because I would have to pay out of pocket for anything that happened (although Greenbaum told me he would re-operate for free, if that was the case). Secondly because I am obese, and I was scared. ((hugs))

@Spiky Bugger That's good to hear. I don't really have a choice. Physically my life is so limited. I can't imagine being this heavy (probably more) in 10 years. I won't be able to move! I love being part of this site. So real and honest. So helpful. So accepting of everyone's journey.

NO, and you answered your own question. While I am not in my 50's, your life is shortened because of your MO, we have to start treating obesity like the DISEASE it is. Make sure you pick a good revision surgeon to do your RNY to DS and add better quality of life onto your extended years with your revision.

As long as your surgeon says you're healthy enough for surgery - I'd go for it. It's never too late to reclaim your life/health. Make the next 30-40 years quality ones!

I have a MIL who would benefit so much from a DS but she'll be 71 in a few months. Most surgeons I think cap out at 70. I'd love to see her at least explore this though to see if it would be an option for her w an experienced surgeon. I just don't know how to broach the subject wo offending her.

Good luck!

Barbara, many people have major surgery at your age and far older. Your surgeon might want more of a pre-op work-up to make sure you are healthy enough for the surgery, but it's really about how healthy you are and not your age. And as others have pointed out, staying the way you are now, or worse, will create more risks for you later on.

and not to hijack this thread, but for @Jen-2 your MIL should at the very least have a consult with an experienced DS surgeon. If she's otherwise doing ok they might make an exception for her. She shouldn't let her age stop her from at least exploring the possibility of bariatric surgery. And to the best of my knowledge, Dr. Rabkin in San Francisco has done the DS on people her age, so depending on where she is and her willingness to travel he might be an option for her.

:banana:
I have been reading this sight for months and it seems to me that most DS ers are younger than I am. I'm 58. Seriously, am I too old for an r n y revision to DS? I was in my late 40s when I had my r n y. I had no issues with that surgery. Would appreciate your thoughts.
I am also 58...rocking this like a boss. All i keep thinking is how am going to be amazing when I hit 60

Latest posts

Back