Am I being unreasonable...

Here are my thoughts on that: yes, I think that is potentially a problem. By starting an invitation-only or other restricted group for such as small number of people, outside of the view of other DS experts, you risk getting a limited/skewed view of problems and solutions. Why not use THIS message board to create a subgroup that anyone who is interested can read and provide input to, but which is directed to and focused on revision-specific issues? That way, anyone who is interested (or nosy) can look at the posts and contribute, if they have something to say, even if they are not "members of the tribe" - like the many knowledgeable vets here who are virgin DSers but have seen many revisionistas struggle with and solve problems, and have a knowledge base you may not attract by starting yet another micro-specialty subgroup on Facebook. Also - it is MUCH more annoying and difficult to manage a database of information on FB, whereas here, archiving informational posts is easier, and the search function is superior.

The reason that other group is being started is because some know-nothing know-it-all doesn't like having her disinformation challenged - it is the OPPOSITE of a resource for people struggling with nutritional issues.

Well my other idea was just to simply create a list of people and share it...I'm just trying to find and identify other revisioners to DS.

Well my other idea was just to simply create a list of people and share it...I'm just trying to find and identify other revisioners to DS.
Do you mean RNY to DS revisions specifically, Star? My surgery was a revision, technically, but from Lapband to DS, although there was also some time between lapband removal and my DS surgery. While the lapband can cause damage and complications, an RNY to DS revision is a much more complex surgery.

Do you mean RNY to DS revisions specifically, Star? My surgery was a revision, technically, but from Lapband to DS, although there was also some time between lapband removal and my DS surgery. While the lapband can cause damage and complications, an RNY to DS revision is a much more complex surgery.

No...I'm a VSG to DS revision. I'm trying to find/identify ALL revisioners to DS.
There's actually more of us revisioners than I thought....but they're all spread out across the different different FB pages and different forums.

Personally, I think Facebook sucks as a WLS support site. There is no reasonable way to order or categorize the posts within the endless linear rolling conversations, searching is sucky, the rudimentary files section is not organized, and most of the groups are little fiefdoms run by arbitrary and capricious self-important bullies, which includes those who run the sunshine and unicorns groups. Surgeon-sponsored sites are no better, and often worse, insofar as the surgeon either is a participating agenda-driven nutjob (cough*GarthDavis*cough), or is an absentee landlord who leaves the inmates in charge (cough*Keshishian*cough), but give the impression that their sites are a font of actual knowledge.

With certain exceptions (having a functional block feature, for example), I think this site, organized as it is, is FAR superior as a support group. Subgroups are available and viewable (to some extent), with privacy features available as needed (e.g., Rants&Raves, plastic surgery pix), categorization of topics including social and off-topic discussions which are compartmentalized but easily findable, various views are available depending on how you want to see the threads and posts, and it is FAR better moderated, by a committee rather than one or two tyrants with an agenda. To my knowledge, in the year this site has existed, other than spammers, fewer than 5 people have had to be banned.

In my opinion, the only real purpose for WLS groups on FB should be to find people who are looking for support and drive them to better ones like this one.

Personally, I think Facebook sucks as a WLS support site. There is no reasonable way to order or categorize the posts within the endless linear rolling conversations, searching is sucky, the rudimentary files section is not organized, and most of the groups are little fiefdoms run by arbitrary and capricious self-important bullies, which includes those who run the sunshine and unicorns groups. Surgeon-sponsored sites are no better, and often worse, insofar as the surgeon either is a participating agenda-driven nutjob (cough*GarthDavis*cough), or is an absentee landlord who leaves the inmates in charge (cough*Keshishian*cough), but give the impression that their sites are a font of actual knowledge.

With certain exceptions (having a functional block feature, for example), I think this site, organized as it is, is FAR superior as a support group. Subgroups are available and viewable (to some extent), with privacy features available as needed (e.g., Rants&Raves, plastic surgery pix), categorization of topics including social and off-topic discussions which are compartmentalized but easily findable, various views are available depending on how you want to see the threads and posts, and it is FAR better moderated, by a committee rather than one or two tyrants with an agenda. To my knowledge, in the year this site has existed, other than spammers, fewer than 5 people have had to be banned.

In my opinion, the only real purpose for WLS groups on FB should be to find people who are looking for support and drive them to better ones like this one.

I agree this format is much better than FB. I see the link to this site posted on the various FB pages quite often along with dsfacts.
It would certainly be easier on noobs like myself trying to soak up info if everybody was gathered in one place, but unfortunately, that's not the reality. I belong to 4 different DS specific sites on FB. I just chase after the info. I guess it is what it is.

I agree this format is much better than FB. I see the link to this site posted on the various FB pages quite often along with dsfacts.
It would certainly be easier on noobs like myself trying to soak up info if everybody was gathered in one place, but unfortunately, that's not the reality. I belong to 4 different DS specific sites on FB. I just chase after the info. I guess it is what it is.
that really stinks, seems like too much work, unorganized, etc. I don't belong to facebook, I think I must be the only person on the planet.

that really stinks, seems like too much work, unorganized, etc. I don't belong to facebook, I think I must be the only person on the planet.

I am on FB only as a social activity. I am not on any FB WLS groups. If I have a weight loss surgery related question I ask it here. This is the only place I trust to get consistent reliable information. This site is self policing, if you post something that is incorrect, you will be told. :geek: It keeps the bullshit to a minimum, just how I like it.

I am on FB only as a social activity. I am not on any FB WLS groups. If I have a weight loss surgery related question I ask it here. This is the only place I trust to get consistent reliable information. This site is self policing, if you post something that is incorrect, you will be told. :geek: It keeps the bullshit to a minimum, just how I like it.
Bingo! And if you correct someone, the mods neither nanny you nor dogpile gleefully.

Another interesting thing - it appears to me that because this site is easier to research, there are fewer stupid questions, resulting in fewer incidents of abusive and derisive treatment of members (newbies and/or idiots) than on some of the FB groups, by either other members or mods.

It would certainly be easier on noobs like myself trying to soak up info if everybody was gathered in one place

I know, right? and here is this most excellent place and yet folks gather by the hundreds in places that have commercials, are much less user friendly and dumb moderation. not to mention any names. :whistling:

but "if you build it, they will come"

:water ski: < I don't know why but I love this one.

spread the word! :computer p2:

:cheerleaders::cheer::024:

Meh thinning out the herd of stupid people only helps evolution. I say go for it and yes...all you need is gummy vitamins and the love of Jeebus. Can I get an Amen!

Okay I have not been posting or reading much lately because of bronchitis (felt like I was hit by a mac truck for 2 weeks) and then getting a late start trying to get ready for the holidays. Also I don't really contribute a lot on any forum. That being said I do not know how all of you manage to have any normal life and contribute so much of your time to this site let alone any other. I also agree with Diana about the way FB is set up. I can not see the need for another place when all the smart people and help are here! Isn't there a forum here for revisions?

My thoughts are to stay in one place. Why would I really participate in a bunch of other sites? I have a memory problem so staying here is ideal for me. I do receive posts from the group on FB that En and Liz have because the posts show up in my normal feed and I don't have to go looking. If something shows up that I have an interest then I read it. I haven't checked OH or OH FB in forever. I peek at PB occasionally to see if a couple of people I like and interested in are posting.

What I would like to see here is Profile pictures and names of people that are here but post under another profile picture or name on another site or on other boards. I have stayed with my original just for that reason. It is the same as when I joined OH in 2010. Some people are easy to identify but some I am not sure of. If we have a place for that then lead me there and if not could we start one? Please everyone stay here so the older ones (like me) with memory problems (like me) can get the help they need!

My family also has my info to log in on here in case something would happen to me and they need help for me. I have told them the people here will help. I know they would get the help they need from all the vets and support that is on this forum.

Again I say thank you to all who contribute so much!

The biggest plus for Facebook is that people are on it already, and receive notifications of posts, comments, etc. so it's easy to join in the discussion. I will usually post a question there if I'm hoping for a quick response, or if a bigger "audience" might help with getting an answer (eg. looking for a particular type of recipe). Anything more serious or that I think might be helpful to others as well (esp. to be able to find in the future) I prefer to post here.

The biggest plus for Facebook is that people are on it already, and receive notifications of posts, comments, etc. so it's easy to join in the discussion. I will usually post a question there if I'm hoping for a quick response, or if a bigger "audience" might help with getting an answer (eg. looking for a particular type of recipe). Anything more serious or that I think might be helpful to others as well (esp. to be able to find in the future) I prefer to post here.

I am not ready to play there. I feel too exposed and I REALLY do not want all the various "compartments" of my compartmentalized life careening into each other.

Latest posts

Back