Abdominal Adhesions

shann

Now an Angel in heaven
I have a friend who went to have abdominal surgery after getting through cancer treatment, and she couldn't because there were too many adhesions. Has someone here had surgery for adhesions or know someone who has and would be willing to email with her? She isn't a WLS patient, but she's just getting over breast cancer, was going to have a hysterectomy, and now she's having to deal with this!

I think open, but I'm not sure. This is what she said: "I went in to get my ovaries and tubes taken out. He said it was so bad he couldn't even get to them. My bowel is connected to everything in there to the wall, liver, other organs he said it's just a big mess. I knew something had to be wrong since my stomach is so extended and other things."

Shannon, this happened to me. I had a few gyn surgeries, and when I had my hysterectomy my GYN had to call in a colo-rectal surgeon because my insides were pretty much the same way you described. She said my ovaries were twisted around and adhered to my bowel. My hysterectomy took about 6 hours because of it. That was an open surgery.

My DS was lap but Dr Roslin said I had major adhesions. That one took over 6 hours and he said my insides are like a solid block of concrete.

I'll talk to your friend, if you want - just send me a message on FB

I think open, but I'm not sure. This is what she said: "I went in to get my ovaries and tubes taken out. He said it was so bad he couldn't even get to them. My bowel is connected to everything in there to the wall, liver, other organs he said it's just a big mess. I knew something had to be wrong since my stomach is so extended and other things."
Sounds like what my mother had, 30 + years ago. No advice, but hope she gets some help.

I have a fairly fast-growing ovarian cyst, and my gynae is trying to organise a salpingo-oopherectomy (sp?) at the same time as my DS. Because I've had several abdominal surgeries in the past, she said that a gynae-oncologist would need to do it. Apparently they have the expertise to handle it if adhesions have to be removed and something goes wrong, eg. my intestines are nicked in the process (that is nicked as in a little cut, not nicked as in stolen, lol!)

I told Rabkin to check out my remaining ovary when he did my DS (lost one when I was 22 to a cyst/infection) - I had had an ovarian cyst reduced laparoscopically three years before, and I was 50 - I told him to yank it if he saw anything hinky. I woke up with it, but I think Rabkin would have done it himself. I think he addressed some adhesions from previous abdominal surgeries at the same time too. I like the idea of a two-fer (or three-fer or four-fer) - one surgery, multiple issues addressed at the same time. I did get my gall bladder and appendix out at the same time.

I told Rabkin to check out my remaining ovary when he did my DS (lost one when I was 22 to a cyst/infection) - I had had an ovarian cyst reduced laparoscopically three years before, and I was 50 - I told him to yank it if he saw anything hinky. I woke up with it, but I think Rabkin would have done it himself. I think he addressed some adhesions from previous abdominal surgeries at the same time too. I like the idea of a two-fer (or three-fer or four-fer) - one surgery, multiple issues addressed at the same time. I did get my gall bladder and appendix out at the same time.
My cyst is 10 cm (4 inches) in size, and I was told that they would have to remove the whole ovary. Because of my age, they wouldn't put a lot of effort into saving it, at any rate. I would like to keep the other one though, if possible, because of all the hormonal issues I'd have to deal with on top of everything else, if both were removed.
Prof Nottle was reluctant to agree to me having both surgeries at the same time, because he said the cuts were in different places, and for me both have to be open. My gynae managed to talk him into agreeing, partly by saying she would organise someone to do it, but also because it needs to be done soon and I'm not willing to postpone my DS surgery for anything! Anyway, one lot of anaesthetic, painkillers, constipation, etc instead of two would be a definite win for me!

Latest posts

Back