9 days out from abdominoplasty

I’m not going to blow smoke up your ass - it was painful. Keep in mind that I’m almost 65, not in great shape, and that I had an incisional hernia, a re-torn umbilical hernia and a 7 cm lipoma removed from the side of my waistline at the sane time, and the muscle repair was both above and below my umbilicus.

But I was prepared with a power recliner and a medication plan. I was off oxycodone by day 6, and off codeine by day 10 or 11. I didn’t get out of the recliner to the bed for 3 weeks. I’m still sleeping on my side with my hip cushioned on a pillow, as well as my knee on it so I don’t stretch the incision too much.

But it was not as bad as I had feared. I started walking around the neighborhood, at a moderate pace, yesterday. It is day 32.

OK, so, how is it going on your tummy tuck? Here are my quesitions.

- Are you glad you did it?
- How painful was it?
- How long did the pain last?
- did you lose a size or do your clothes fit better?

Thanks

Almost 3 months out now.

- Are you glad you did it?
Yes, since I needed hernia surgery anyway and didn’t want mesh. Not sure at almost 64 it would have “been worth it” just for cosmetic reasons.

- How painful was it?
Not as bad as I feared, but very painful at first and I’ve had multiple surgeries before. About the same level (though different in kind) as a C-section. More than the DS hurt. Abdominal muscles are still very sore if I try to use them.

- How long did the pain last?
I am a bit of a wuss - I was off the heavy narcotics at 5 days post-op, off the codeine about another 5 days later. Took Aleve for a while after that. Still hurts if I use my abs. But not when just sitting or walking. The majority of my abdominal skin above the incision and above the belly button (which looks weird because it over-healed and is almost flat) is completely numb.

- did you lose a size or do your clothes fit better?
Didn’t lose a size, but yes, clothes fit a bit better not having the suprapubic poodge, and the second roll above the waist (and not having the lipoma on my waistline too). I have a waist again. But it kinda makes the contrast with my saggy ass and saddlebags more apparent. And actually the difference between my smaller waist and saggy thick hips actually causes issues with a gap in the back of my non-stretchy pants.

Note about my scars - they are mostly flat and not quite as dark in real life. But I am olive complected and my scars always start out dark (and sometimes keloid). They will fade over time. The surgeon wants me to let him fix the slight dog-ears at the ends of the incisions in his office but I said no thanks. They don’t bother me.

The wound in the center of the suprapubic incision is just now closing. There is a big stitch or six forming a hard lump under it, holding things together (there are two others about 2.5 inches from center on both sides, also with lumps - they should soften over time), and the bad spot was the top edge of my old bellybutton, plus being at the end of the line from the blood supply. I gently scraped the little scab off of it a couple of days ago as instructed and had a bit of pus come out - I squeezed it a bit and more pus and a small plug or lump of something came out. I dabbed a little antibiotic ointment on it, and it now seems to be healing over.
37152837_10155798134181173_7845794429515333632_n.jpg 37186953_10155798134186173_469404041001041920_n.jpg 37227544_10155798134206173_4671124745146597376_n.jpg
Sorry these pix are so big - Liz southernlady - can you make them smaller so they are side-by-side and easier to see (and easier on the eyes)?

Edited to make about two thirds of original since much smaller and they get too small.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or ginormous childbearing hips which make the waist look smaller. I pushed a 7lb 4oz baby out in 2 pushes. They wouldn’t let me try a breech delivery of the 9lb 4oz giant-cranium boy, but I bet I could have done it.

Or I could retake the pic. But that’s a PITA because I have to then upload them to a private FB site so it’s on the innerwebs so I can upload here.

Or I could retake the pic. But that’s a PITA because I have to then upload them to a private FB site so it’s on the innerwebs so I can upload here.
You could just upload straight from your computer to here. After photobucket went stupid, I gave up trying to get people to use it to store.

Latest posts

Back