2 weeks post op

Well, one month post op now, scale stopped moving so I stopped looking so often. Fluid is still hard to get in... I think it is this little cold/allergies I have and the snot build up. Been able to sleep on my side intermittently throughout the night.

Started eating bacon, YUM, and some chicken. Definitely expanding the food options. Chicken is slightly heavy on my stomach but great protein, right? I just watch my portions. I even tried some chili verde, flavor is my friend. ;)

Starting multivitamins now too. No issues there so far. No excessive hair loss yet. I have very thick hair, and usually shed a bit more when summer comes, so nothing abnormal so far.

Getting more active, but still exhausted by mid afternoon. I still take naps! :sleep:

You like cheeses? Greek yogurt? I lived on that early out, stirred in Splenda & vanilla extract.

If you go shopping, the cart lifts up so your 2 year old can crawl in himself, then over into the seat part. That way you don't have to lift him into the cart.

I've found that Greek yogurt has a lot of sugar... Gassy, gassy!! Sheanie, do you just get plain and mix in your own?

Any ideas for fluids? I have been sticking to ice tea, it tastes the best to me.

I've found that Greek yogurt has a lot of sugar... Gassy, gassy!! Sheanie, do you just get plain and mix in your own?

Any ideas for fluids? I have been sticking to ice tea, it tastes the best to me.
Depends on which one...and the gassy could be the low/not fat versions, esp if flavored with artificial crap.

Ice tea works fine. I make it by the gallon pitcher around here. In the summer, I add 1 cup of lemon juice to mine but in the winter, it's just plain iced tea. (I sweeten mine with Spenda)

I have been experimenting with herbal tea - turns out you don't need to steep it in hot water first: you can just put it in water in the fridge and it steeps. :D

Struggling with liquids a bit in the mornings when I feel full, but better towards the end of the day. Food does not seem appealing in any way.

I had my surgery 5 days before you (May 8th) and I'm feeling very much the same. I can barely eat 1 or 2 ounces of anything in a day, though for some weird reason I'm able to eat a whole banana slowly and get it all down. My fluid intake is not good at all....just got an IV infusion yesterday after my pee was so dark I literally couldn't see the bottom of the toilet bowl. Yikes! My weight loss is fantastic, about 73 lbs between the pre op diet and this 5 weeks post op. I'm feeling sick a lot and even though I know how critically important getting my fluids/protein etc. is I sometimes can't even force myself. It's like trying to poke yourself in the eye with a stick...your body resists in an involuntary way and I just can't do it. I go back to work tomorrow and am soooo weak but I'll lose my job if don't try to bluff my way through. Can you all remember what you were eating at 5 weeks post op? When can I expect a greater ability to eat/drink? Should I be worried? I'm also trying to stay in Ketosis mostly, because I know I have huge fat stores I can burn for fuel to compensate for my poor intake. Best of luck to you Ampt, and to us all.

Will- I struggled with fluids quite a bit for a while after surgery, but you HAVE TO find some things that you can get down. I used to love ice water and that just doesn't go down well anymore, so I've tried almost every non carbonated sugar free drink you can think of. Some work, some don't, but you know that staying hydrated is very important! I find drinks that are acidic to go down much easier in the beginning, like crystal light lemonade, now I'm better with a wider variety and some homemade iced teas and infused waters, just keep trying!

*oh, and at 5 weeks I was eating a ton of cheese and deli meat, I think that's approximately when I started eating very well chewed nuts and bacon, all that supplemented with soups, yogurt and shakes. My energy level was atrocious at that point as well, hope you can get by with not overdoing it at work!

Will, try different flavors, different temps, etc. Some have to have it ice cold, others need it hot...but find what works. Are you on a PPI? If not ask about adding one. If one doesn't work, try a different one. The generic of Prilosec is worthless to me...I may as well not take it for all the good it did. But the generics of Prevacid and Protonix work well. Others find they need two doses...it's really trial and error there.

I know that you know that bananas are not a good food option as it is VERY high in carbs. I don't know if you were diabetic but it's the one fruit I had to stay away from...they spiked my blood sugar more than any OTHER fruit.

@Will2014 I totally get the stick in the eye reference.

I have started eating some chicken, pork and beef. Small bites, ridiculous amount of chewing! Cheese, eggs, tuna, fresh deli meat has been really good to me, too.

Thanks Brooklyngirl , Southernlady , and Ampt for the great suggestions. I tried lemonade last night and did well with it. Today I'm going to try deli meats and cheese. I'm sure it'll get better....just a rougher recovery for me than I'd anticipated. Thanks for the support guys!

just got an IV infusion yesterday after my pee was so dark I literally couldn't see the bottom of the toilet bowl

that is seriously scary - you won't let that happen again? even if you have to MISS WORK (or whatever) to get IV fluids again if you need them?

glad to hear you are tolerating lemonade - keep on top of the fluids!!!

that is seriously scary - you won't let that happen again? even if you have to MISS WORK (or whatever) to get IV fluids again if you need them?

glad to hear you are tolerating lemonade - keep on top of the fluids!!!

Hi Jackie! No...I plan to be much more diligent. Just got a bit beat down and discouraged and failed to stay on top of my hydration. Found an excellent infusion place near my house and we've worked out a deal at a very reasonal cost for me. I'm hoping my intake continues to improve making it less likely I'll need it, but it's good to know it's there. Did great with lemonade again this morning, and I think the acid has really helped me get it down. In 30 min or so I'm gonna try some deli sliced ham + cheese. Hopefully I'll do ok with it.

Thanks Brooklyngirl , Southernlady , and Ampt for the great suggestions. I tried lemonade last night and did well with it. Today I'm going to try deli meats and cheese. I'm sure it'll get better....just a rougher recovery for me than I'd anticipated. Thanks for the support guys!

Also try taking Gas X 4 times a day and see if bloating is what is making it harder for you to get liquids down. Also I found Ocean Spray Diet Cran Cherry goes down very easy and tastes really good. I had to go to the hospital twice for dehydration after my surgery and it was not fun but at about 6 to 8 weeks out it got much better for me. By the time i was 10 weeks out i was getting 100 grams of protien and a minimum of 2000ml of water a day with out to much difficulty. So just keep sipping it gets better.

Latest posts

Back