What did you wish you laid in before your surgery?

Brandy

Freddled gruntbuggly
Generic Ideas from around the web that may have nothing to do with a ds include:

• Music, movies, books on tape, guided meditations... (books?)
      • Easy Yoga or "Sit and be Fit" or beginning Tai chi instructions
      • Antibacterial soap and sanitizers, copper bracelet?
      • Compression stockings (vest?)
      • Infection strategy's: Thermometer, bandages
      • Light weight blankets, extra pillows.
      • Assortment of pain strategies: Ice, Heat, Tylenol, Advil, Doan's, Vicodin, Soma...
      • Anti-nausea strategy's: drugs, crackers?
      • Food:
        • Vitamins?
        • Protein Supplements: Which ones?
        • Jell-O, pudding, etc. Which ones?
        • Liquids: Gatorade, apple juice, Snapple
        • Bullion and broths.
        • Popsicles, ice cream, frozen yogurt
        • Applesauce

Please help me brainstorm awwwway...............

don't bother with any of the items that include sugar - forget the ice cream, the apple juice, etc. And frozen yogurt has a lot of sugar, although Greek Yogurt is great. Sugar free versions may be OK, although watch the ones with sugar alcohols. Avoid flour carbs/crackers

you will be drinking lots of fluids (without sugar)...water, broth, Crystal Light...you may want several options as you won't know what your tastes will be after surgery. This will be your top priority

you won't be doing any exercising for several weeks, or you risk a hernia. You will be walking.

I was happy to have extra pillows to get comfortable at night due to my incisions. My surgery was "open". Some people find sleeping in a recliner helpful

food choices will depend on your surgeons progression from liquids to softs to real food. Some are quicker than others. You will concentrate on protein almost exclusively. Protein supplements are very personal...you won't know what you like until you see how your taste buds develop. You may want to purchase several samples and then see which you prefer.

your Doctor should prescribe an anti nausea, and a PPI. You could pick up Gas-X

Get your starter vitamins from Vitalady and Costco, although you will ease into the full routine over the first few weeks

Personally, I found that I had accumulated way too much stuff to prepare. There was very little I really needed, and I could send out my DH if I needed something more

The things I found most useful in the hospital were:
-lip balm since my lips were super chapped
-mini listerine bottles & listerine spray since I had horrid dry mouth and couldn't bend over the sink to brush my teeth right away
-slip on shoes, I used croc flip flops since I couldn't manage anything more than that and I hate wearing socks

When I came home the things I used the most were:
-my recliner
-tons of pillows
-cotton summer dresses
-a variety of things to drink since some were good to me and some were not and drinking in general was tough
-sugar free Popsicles & jello
-different flavors of broths
-Netflix for binge watching
-syntrax nectar unflavored protein powder
-small/baby plates, spoons & bowls
-thermometer
-extra gauze & tape
-gas x
-Imodium

What I wish I had bought:
-protein sample packs
-abdominal binder

What was a waste:
-applesauce
-cream of wheat
-zero many Greek yogurts that ended up expiring before I could finish them all
-large quantities of soups that I got sick of before I could finish them
-big tubs of protein powders that didn't taste good or sit well after surgery

I second the Netflix for binge watching!!, pillows, nice cottony outfits that breathe, and a nice lap blanket nearby if you catch a chill.

Thank you cards to hand my caretakers who spoiled me (mom and husband as well as kind nurses). Wet wipes. A long bathrobe to provide modesty and warmth over the hospital gown for hallway walks. Wireless bras. Stepladder to help with the climb in and out of bed and a cane to help getting on and off of chairs/toilet. Bendy straws for home.

in the hospital:
lip balm
slippers
recliner with soft blanket
good book

at home:
my recliner
pillows
cotton mu mu PJs
variety of drinks and protein samples
lots of TV, movies
binder (plus one extra) from hospital
Imodium
sugar free jello
greek yogurt

Have your vits packets ready, and start trying to take them every day. Start out with multi vits, and work up to all the others.

Latest posts

Back