What a healthy food culture looks like

harrietvane

One of the best things about travelling has been to see and experience other food cultures. I'm back in Italy for a second month (I spent January in Rome) - this time Sicily. One of the reasons I was keen to come back was definitely the lifestyle and food culture. I love that it's not about denying the pleasure of food, but it's not packed junk and you feel a lot more connected to the process of buying it and eating it. Definitely a very different experience from going to a giant supermarket where everything is prepackaged and usually not that tasty.

This morning I went to the markets and picked up amazingly fresh, tasty, real food. All up, €20 for parma ham, salami, mozzarella, olives, pistachios, tomatoes and some fruit that should last me two days. Each bought from a local store. Plenty of fresh off the boat seafood, too. (I'm going to go have some pistachio crumbed tuna at a seafood place tonight, so didn't pick any up today.)

The market stands beside the Temple of Apollo, from the 6th century BC - and I'm guessing while some of the more exotic stuff wouldn't have been available and the food safety a little laxer, it wouldn't have looked too different than it does today. I find it interesting how common this type of 'old time' shopping is in continental Europe (and elsewhere), and how unusual it's become in the Anglo parts of the world.

I love that it's not about denying the pleasure of food, but it's not packed junk and you feel a lot more connected to the process of buying it and eating it. Definitely a very different experience from going to a giant supermarket where everything is prepackaged and usually not that tasty.

they are doing it right! :geek: :thumbsup:

I find it interesting how common this type of 'old time' shopping is in continental Europe (and elsewhere), and how unusual it's become in the Anglo parts of the world.

I wish our culture would not put up with this, but I guess we are most of us so stressed with just trying to get by we don't have time to create/support something better.

I plan to go to farmer's markets again when they start but I would so love to relocate to a civilized part of the world.
note to self: buy a lottery ticket.

I'm always surprised how much my daily pottering adds up. Today I did 2 miles; in Rome I'd average 4 or 5. But all from just doing 'chores', not setting out to exercise.

I remember my ex being horrified I proposed to walk to the mall in Orange County when we went to see his parents. Though it's much easier to walk in a friendly climate and a city designed for people, not cars...

I have submitted an application to a PhD program in Italy (Milan), so fingers crossed (I hear in late July). I was offered a job when I was back in Singapore last week, and I have to say that my biggest deciding factor is lifestyle. I don't want to work constantly, and I do want to live in a place that values more than money - and the kind of lifestyle that values people, food and relaxation is very appealing.

I don't want to work constantly, and I do want to live in a place that values more than money - and the kind of lifestyle that values people, food and relaxation is very appealing.
Italy! :geek: I so hope you get the job!

Isn't Milan a lot more fast-paced than southern Italy? (I only know from watching TV!) but still - how much better a culture, I think you are wise and want to live vicariously through you!

Yes, Milan is definitely more Germanic (and rich) compared to Rome or the south, but it's still miles better than Singapore or the Anglo world. (For one, no tuition fees and a decent stipend if I get in...)

I'm in Sicily for a month, so I'll enjoy it while it lasts. I'm currently drinking a lovely Etna rosso on my balcony, eating Parma ham and fresh mozzarella and tomatoes. Very decadent yet very on the cheap.

Yes, Milan is definitely more Germanic (and rich) compared to Rome or the south, but it's still miles better than Singapore or the Anglo world. (For one, no tuition fees and a decent stipend if I get in...)

I'm in Sicily for a month, so I'll enjoy it while it lasts. I'm currently drinking a lovely Etna rosso on my balcony, eating Parma ham and fresh mozzarella and tomatoes. Very decadent yet very on the cheap.

There’s a street with my (unusual) maiden name up in my grandfather’s home town in the hills a bit south of Palermo and down the road from...wait for it...wait...Corleone. No, really, Corleone!

The food was SOOOOO good. I wish I could return, but my health issues aren’t giving me a break.

Rick Steves says that you can start in the north and keep heading toward Sicily...until it gets “a little too Italian for you.” I loved that.

On the train north from Rome into Germany, I asked my husband where we were. He said we were still in Italy. I said we were not, because the grape plants in the vineyards were “lined up in rows, ‘Eins, Zwei, Drei Vier! Eins, Zwei, Drei Vier!’” He explained the we were in the previously Austrian area of Italy...which made that phenomenon easier to comprehend. LOL

Enjoy...and know I am jealous.

I just remembered a scene...in the taxi returning to Palermo...I looked downhill, out over the area and considered that what I was seeing was my grandfather’s last views of his homeland. Kinda made me teary-eyed.

I have submitted an application to a PhD program in Italy (Milan), so fingers crossed (I hear in late July). I was offered a job when I was back in Singapore last week, and I have to say that my biggest deciding factor is lifestyle. I don't want to work constantly, and I do want to live in a place that values more than money - and the kind of lifestyle that values people, food and relaxation is very appealing.
I love that you know what you want and have the gumption to pursue it! :) Live your dreams!

I love that you know what you want and have the gumption to pursue it!

Haha, not at all - I'm pretty confused about what to do next, but I figure it's a very appealing option and I'll decide if and when I get an offer. I more know what I don't want (a super stressful job and no life).

Rick Steves says that you can start in the north and keep heading toward Sicily...until it gets “a little too Italian for you.” I loved that.

What a beautiful story. I will have to get up to Palermo for an overnight at least (or come back another time) - I assume it's a bit like Naples. I thought I would not enjoy Italy as much - I speak OKish German and am a pretty organised and rule-following person. I'm in Siracusa (Ortigia island) and it's still not 'too Italian' yet. Have you seen this one? I'd argue that Milan should definitely be in potato Europe.

Haha, not at all - I'm pretty confused about what to do next, but I figure it's a very appealing option and I'll decide if and when I get an offer. I more know what I don't want (a super stressful job and no life).

What a beautiful story. I will have to get up to Palermo for an overnight at least (or come back another time) - I assume it's a bit like Naples. I thought I would not enjoy Italy as much - I speak OKish German and am a pretty organised and rule-following person. I'm in Siracusa (Ortigia island) and it's still not 'too Italian' yet. Have you seen this one? I'd argue that Milan should definitely be in potato Europe.

View attachment 2104
Love it! That’s funny. And correct.

Your life sounds so interesting. I have all my paperwork to document that I’ve had dual American and Italian citizenship since birth...but I never submitted it. I wanted our daughter, who would also have dual citizenship, to have options. And two passports, in case she was ever on a plane where they decided to kill Americans. (She does well in German and did some college in Denmark.) I used to possess Survival Skill Level spoken German, but I speak no Italian. However, I speak enough Spanish to figure out most stuff in Italian.

But culturally, I’m lost. We lived in Germany in 1975-76. They sold “a month’s supply” of disposable diapers...all 90 of ‘em (or maybe only 60, outrageous either way), yet our landlady complained that we wasted water bathing our baby daily AND wanted us to wash our windows evey week. In that area of Bavaria, “clean” applied only to what showed. I’m not so good w/some German rules.

Three Silly stories:
1–Italians can make me crazy. I once watched an Alitalia guy—gold buttons and frilly shoulder epaulets—shuffle the boarding passes, including ours, for about two hours. I finally told him to call his wife and tell her that if he didn’t get us on the next flight from Rome to Palermo, we were going home with him that night. He got us on the next flight.

2–Our photo album is full of Italians making left turns at No Left Turn signs, parking under No Parking Signs and Smoking in No Smoking areas.

3–But diversity is catchy. In Frankfurt, we sent laundry out. They said it would be back at 4 pm. It wasn’t. They said 5 pm. It still wasn’t there. They said 6pm. Mr. Sue asked them to confirm that we were, in fact, in Germany. They looked at him funny. He said, “I keep getting Italian answers to WHEN my laundry will be back, so I’m not really sure that I’m not still in Italy.” They actually laughed.

3–But diversity is catchy. In Frankfurt, we sent laundry out. They said it would be back at 4 pm. It wasn’t. They said 5 pm. It still wasn’t there. They said 6pm. Mr. Sue asked them to confirm that we were, in fact, in Germany. They looked at him funny. He said, “I keep getting Italian answers to WHEN my laundry will be back, so I’m not really sure that I’m not still in Italy.” They actually laughed.

My luggage didn't make my connection from Istanbul to Catania (I barely did, and clearly it wasn't as prepared to run as I was), and so I am getting a combination of Turkish and Italian answers about when it will appear - not sure which is worse! I arrived here on Wednesday morning and it's now Friday morning...a girl can only survive so long on two pairs of knickers, one skirt and two tshirts (and frequent laundry)!

Latest posts

Back