Well....I made the call!

SJB41976

As you know I have been deciding whether or not to have a revision from VSG to DS. I have been talking to my hubby about it, my therapist...and you all. My husband is completely supportive. We had a conversation over the weekend when I told him I was very overwhelmed with eating clean, unprocessed food all the time, the preparation, etc. And the ultimate let down when I don't stick with it. And how hard it is going to be do to this without malabsorption. He agrees that I do not eat too much, but I try to eat in moderation and even though I am doing that, I can't lose weight that way. It's either cut out processed sugars and flours or eat really low calorie/restrictive, which I just can't do anymore. I am so tired of low calorie/low fat diets. I like Paleo but eating that way consistently to lose weight takes a huge commitment. I don't understand *why* I don't just stay with it, but life definitely gets in the way.

When we were talking this weekend I expressed all this to my hubby and his with his support and affirmation, he said to go for it. Start the process and we would make it work (money wise). Of course, his support meant everything but I didn't immediately decide to go for it. After thinking about it all this week, as much as I still want to keep trying to get healthy I decided I needed to take some first steps because it all takes time anyways.

I had emailed Tina at Dr. Greenbaum's office the week before but hadn't heard anything. Apparently I was using an old email. I called and left a message today and she called me back within a few short hours. I have a phone consolation with Dr. Greenbaum on August 21st. EEK!

Tina explained the process and nothing was surprising to me because of all the info I had gained here.

I'm not gonna say I'm 100% there but, I am moving more and more toward that because my weight is really the only thing I feel holding me back. It's not going to make me happy, or have a great life, I get that, but it seems the only thing right now keeping me from living life to my fullest. Even with all the lifetime requirements to DS (which I take very seriously), it seems to have permanent change in my life, this is the path to go.

So....there it is.

Glad you are going to be talking to him. Do yourself a favor and write down any question you want to ask him...I know I have those "flashes" of I need to ask about this or that, usually just as I am heading off to dreamland or in the shower!

well congratulations SJB - it seems to me you are making a very informed decision and not rushing into anything. Take it one day at a time and if you can enjoy the process. I must say too, how cool it is you have the full and unconditional support of your husband. It does make it so much easier.

I'm glad you are moving forward, and impressed with the time and thought and soul searching you have put into this process. Remember that your consult is another way to learn more and does not commit you to any course of action. By the time you have surgery, if you do have surgery, you will feel confident that you have made the best possible decision for your future.

Yeah, when I had the lap band 10 years ago I truly had no idea how to do weight loss surgery. I thought I had it down with the VSG, but it became clear that I was not mentally prepared for what happens. You truly have to make a complete lifestyle change and for whatever reason...doing that without malabsorption just doesn't work. It's like a vicious cycle of success and defeat and it just takes the life out of life. I would much rather make a complete lifestyle change knowing that the weight will come off and it will be for good, I still have to be full on in my recovery of food issues, and there might be set backs, but at least the weight comes off and I know from past weight loss, it makes the journey worth it.

@SJB41976 had RNY to DS with Greenbaum on 7/13. Tough recovery-- won't lie. Doing well. Meeting my goals but takes effort. It's a process. He is a great cutter. My incision is amazing. The drain holes (drains out) are sore. Incision not so much. Insides very tender. Been sleeping in my own bed since Tuesday. 3 weeks Monday. It's a journey

Barbara, Great to hear that you are doing well even during a tough recovery! Please stay hydrated!

@Barbara thanks for the update!!! I'm struggling with being home away from my kids for two whole weeks. I travelled last time and wasn't gone as long and they were a lot younger...my 6 year old is pretty attached to mama. But, once past the two weeks the time apart would be over and we would just move forward.

Latest posts

Back