We may have found it!

Spiky Bugger

We signed up for the nice big place. Paid a REFUNDABLE deposit. Very Nordstrom-y. But deadlines, and psycho painters here and MY ARM (MRI today). The pressure was a bit much. We exercised our REFUND option yesterday. And then I suggested we recheck an older, smaller closer, cheaper place. More Kohls-y.

We go see the second place tomorrow. It may be just fine, and +/-$2k cheaper per month!

Meanwhile, MiniSue et al WILL be allowed to live here…AS LONG AS THEY ABANDON any notions on “investing” here. Like remodeling anything more than a closet or adding drywall around the ugly old brick chimney. YES! They can paint the little princess‘s bedroom “purple.” I suspect we REALLY mean more of a lavender accent wall, but that’s why *god made primer, right?

*Every time I have to type “God” or ”god,” I think of Steve Martin’s song and laugh.

Meanwhile, watch a free episode of “The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning” on Peacock TV.

Last edited:
Look at three or four places as difficult as it may be, the more the better! Wishing you the best.
This was actually our third…plus the MANY we learned about for my mom…and we rented it today. Well, the “rent” doesn’t start yet, it needs to be painted and stuff. Deal is, there aren’t THAT many INDEPENDENT living places. Most have “ASSISTED” living, which will eventually come in handy, but we don’t want or need things like “medication management“ and “wellness checks” right now. OTOH, all we have to do is ask and those services and many more can be added in. And we want to be close to MiniSue and my sister.

It IS small. But eventually, this has to happen and I’m glad we are not leaving this to our kid! And the facility folks seem like a friendly group. No pool, but we have one here we NEVER use. There are plenty of Chair Exercise type classes, but we are very hermit-y and will probably keep to ourselves…although he’s REALLY enjoying his Lip Reading/Memory Enhancement class at the community center! (The teacher is 93!)

This is a big deal. MiniSue was acting a tad stressed out and her guy finally explained that she is adjusting to having parents enter this stage of life. That darned MORTALITY!

This is a big deal. MiniSue was acting a tad stressed out and her guy finally explained that she is adjusting to having parents enter this stage of life. That darned MORTALITY!
It is hard on kids to have parents enter that stage. I remember when Daddy moved into Tryon Estates which is a Senior Independent Living Facility, the Assisted part was there when it became needed. It was a definite change in how things felt.

I’m glad you are finding what you need.

This was actually our third…plus the MANY we learned about for my mom…and we rented it today.
OK! is there a definite move-in date?

he’s REALLY enjoying his Lip Reading/Memory Enhancement class at the community center! (The teacher is 93!)

I'd love to hear more about this, it sounds excellent.

OK! is there a definite move-in date?

They said the room would be ready by the end of next week. We still have paperwork to submit. And then there’s the multi-stage moving:
#1–Absolute bare essentials to the “new” place;
#2–Identifying items to donate (enough to set up another house);
#3–Begging MiniSue for SOME storage place here, mostly for things SHE wants;
#4–Figuring out how to sell stuff I think has value (hoarders think EVERYTHING has value) and sell it.
#5–Looking at what’s left and seeing if we can make it fit In the “new” place.
[/QUOTE]

I'd love to hear more about this, it sounds excellent.
This is just a class at a neighboring city’s Community Center. I don’t remember if it is listed as a class for adults or seniors. I think it cost a whole $6. It is VERY popular and student enrollment, 40-50, probably exceed the room’s listed fire capacity! He tells me that quite a few have taken the class MULTIPLE times. They do memory exercises and lip reading hints and there’s always that day’s silly joke.

it gets him away from me…we need the break. He says he KNOWS he’s learning things. And the VA doctors wanted him to do something like this, both for the social interaction and for carving out new Neuro pathways! Can’t beat the price!

Last edited:
It is hard on kids to have parents enter that stage. I remember when Daddy moved into Tryon Estates which is a Senior Independent Living Facility, the Assisted part was there when it became needed. It was a definite change in how things felt.

I’m glad you are finding what you need.

OR…sometimes it’s hard for the parents to accept that that’s where they are! When my sister and I told our mom it was time she asked, “Do BOTH of you really think I NEED assisted living?”

I said, “Mom! You’ve been getting assisted living for a while now. Thing is, WE are doing the assisting and we are a couple of obese, beat-up, old women. But these days, we’d probably all hurt each other if we had to help you get up off the floor again.”

So to protect US, she agreed.

MiniSue’s Loadmaster Wheels were spinning looking for ways to AVOID assisted living. I kept having to remind her that her Dad’s insurance (I don’t have LTC ins) would kick in $5k/mo (with inflation protection and lifetime benefits) once he needed help with two ADLs (activities of daily living.) Why avoid THAT kind of help?

Latest posts

Back