Was your gallbladder removed?

Stefanie S.

Just had an ultrasound of my gallbladder and it is perfectly healthy, but my surgeon said that with my upcoming DS, my gallbladder will automatically be removed. I only got this note via her nurse via e-mail. Is this standard?

Yes. You don't need it anymore (bile will trickle down to the common channel and doesn't need to be released in a bolus to the duodenum as chyme is released from the stomach), and the gall bladder just becomes a potential diseased organ due to the frequency of forming stones during the weight loss phase. I'm in favor of removing organs that are no longer being used - they are just a source of potential disease, including cancer.

Cancer of the gall bladder is rare, but gallstones are common, esp during or after rapid weight loss. Mine was removed and I've never missed it. Gallstones are so common that 500,000 people in the USA have their gall bladder removed every year, and obviously most of them didn't just have bariatric surgery.

I didn't have mine removed during DS (and was annoyed), but then had it taken out 6 months later with another surgery, by that time it had grown to the size of a softball. I did experience bile acid diarrhea post removal; this is a known, very unpleasant, but little-discussed side effect of gallbladder removal. It was successfully treated with Welchol (a bile acid sequestrant).

Last edited:
Some surgeons remove it as a matter of course; others do not. My surgeon (I was self-pay) was not going to remove it. I chose to have it removed at the same time (and paid extra) as I did not want to go back under the knife to have it removed later, even though by then, my insurance would have paid for it.

I insisted mine be removed. I have heard about too many who are just ecstatic their doc was able to "save" their gallbladder and they were quite happy to pay for an expensive medication, actigall, to increase the likelihood of being able to keep it. Only find out a couple months down the road, they are having ANOTHER major surgery to remove the damn thing.

Ask any doc. Fat, female presents with abdominal pain. The first things you check are appendix and GB.

Are gallbladder issues specific to DS patients?

I lost 100 lbs with my lap-band in 11 months, and had no issues, so I'm wondering if I should be asking if my gallbladder stays or goes with the DS surgery. (I regained all 100 lbs and a few extra.)

Just had an ultrasound of my gallbladder and it is perfectly healthy, but my surgeon said that with my upcoming DS, my gallbladder will automatically be removed. I only got this note via her nurse via e-mail. Is this standard?
Mine was removed. I discussed with my surgeon and it just made sense given the stats.

I lost 100 lbs with my lap-band in 11 months, and had no issues, so I'm wondering if I should be asking if my gallbladder stays or goes with the DS surgery. (I regained all 100 lbs and a few extra.)
No it isn't but with ANY rapid weight loss, it can cause major issues.

Fair, fat, forty, and female. The four F's of gallbladder disease, as a general rule, but there are exceptions. Mine was already out before I had my DS because I was all four of them. I would have wanted mine out if it had not been removed already. My surgeon would not have done it because he felt it was easy enough to take it out when and if it caused problems. I did ask about my appendix, nope for the same reasons. Each surgeon has his/her own protocol. Since the risk is high, I respect your surgeon's plan. I've had gallstones and kidney stones. Neither was much fun, yet obviously I can't have my kidneys removed as a prevention for further stones.

Mine was removed during the DS op. The pre-op screening showed sludge in there, and a good sized stone that was not yet bothering me, but likely would. Happy to have it yanked through the main lapro incision. I haven't missed it once.

For women, there is a fifth "F" - fertile.

I actually argued a bit with Rabkin about taking out a "perfectly healthy" gallbladder (even though I had had a couple of what were probably gallbladder "attacks" over the years, without visible stones). He patiently explained that I didn't need it, it was likely to go south, and removing a potential cause of pain in a post-DSer's differential diagnosis for abdominal pain was a good thing (ditto the appendix). I had both of mine out during my DS.

If it does not cost more, I would have it out. I did not have mine removed because it was 2K more and I've lost weight before without a problem, but if insurance covered it, I would have. The 2k is going towards a tummy tuck!

Latest posts

Back