Vitamins & Minerals

@southernlady I read up on the B 12 levels about 2 yrs ago. I was having numbness and balance issues, my memory never was good but I'd be driving somewhere that I had been to often and although knew where it was I'd suddenly have a slight panic attack thinking how do I get there? But then the thought was gone and I knew my way. B12 is not one of the routine blood tests for the average doc I found out, in fact he didn't do it next time so on the next blood work I repeatedly asked if he had B12 on there. The doc tested for my B12 levels because of the issues I was having. I was extremely low on B12 and discovered that it will cause the issues mentioned above and mimic Alzheimer's or dementia if too bad for too long. In the end this was not the cause of my numbness issues, or balance, most of my left side, even my skin on my side feels asleep, my right foot and ring and middle finger are still numb. But pointing finger and thumb are fine. So weird. So even though it wasn't the cause of the issue, B12 is very important.

I had to change docs to even get to the bottom of it as it started in my left pinky and just kept progressing but the doc I had said it was degeneration, age and weight. Basically told me i was old and fat, but i knew that already! I think a lot of the problem too was no pain, no headaches or anything. Now, after surgery, I will get the headaches if I do too much twisting my head around. Was working on a vintage sewing machine that was stuck for a couple hours and ended up going to ER cause I had so bad of a headache that my vision was blurry and couldn't walk straight and I normally don't get any kind of headache often. Learned not to do that again for so long on that kind of stuff nor when working on my car!! lol

@southernlady I read up on the B 12 levels about 2 yrs ago. I was having numbness and balance issues, my memory never was good but I'd be driving somewhere that I had been to often and although knew where it was I'd suddenly have a slight panic attack thinking how do I get there? But then the thought was gone and I knew my way. B12 is not one of the routine blood tests for the average doc I found out, in fact he didn't do it next time so on the next blood work I repeatedly asked if he had B12 on there. The doc tested for my B12 levels because of the issues I was having. I was extremely low on B12 and discovered that it will cause the issues mentioned above and mimic Alzheimer's or dementia if too bad for too long. In the end this was not the cause of my numbness issues, or balance, most of my left side, even my skin on my side feels asleep, my right foot and ring and middle finger are still numb. But pointing finger and thumb are fine. So weird. So even though it wasn't the cause of the issue, B12 is very important.

I had to change docs to even get to the bottom of it as it started in my left pinky and just kept progressing but the doc I had said it was degeneration, age and weight. Basically told me i was old and fat, but i knew that already! I think a lot of the problem too was no pain, no headaches or anything. Now, after surgery, I will get the headaches if I do too much twisting my head around. Was working on a vintage sewing machine that was stuck for a couple hours and ended up going to ER cause I had so bad of a headache that my vision was blurry and couldn't walk straight and I normally don't get any kind of headache often. Learned not to do that again for so long on that kind of stuff nor when working on my car!! lol
Sorry you went thru that.

I learned about B 12 and B 6 decades ago when I was first diagnosed with Peripheral Neuropathy as a result of my diabetes. BOTH can be dangerous...too low on the B 12 as you found out or too high on the B 6.

Sorry you went thru that.

I learned about B 12 and B 6 decades ago when I was first diagnosed with Peripheral Neuropathy as a result of my diabetes. BOTH can be dangerous...too low on the B 12 as you found out or too high on the B 6.

Wish it had only been the B 12 but at least I found a doc that thought of testing for it and it helped with some of the balance issues, the numbness sadly was a total different thing. But at least the problem was found but if I get feeling back at all it might be years from now. Amazing how a vitamin deficiency can cause so many different things!

i was diagnosed with pernicious anemia way before either of my surgeries as it runs in my family. so now instead of once a month injections i have a b-12 injection every 2 weeks and may increase based on my labs.

My doc just checked my B12 this month as he wanted to make sure It was okay. It 572 pg/ml on a 213-816 range

Not sure if this is the best place...but does anyone have an opinion on Procare Now Bariatric Multivitamin? They have a chewable and a capsule. They claim they are perfect for DS'ers ..i know this group has opinions. Thanks in advance.

Not sure if this is the best place...but does anyone have an opinion on Procare Now Bariatric Multivitamin? They have a chewable and a capsule. They claim they are perfect for DS'ers ..i know this group has opinions. Thanks in advance.
Wow! These are reasonably priced compared to most. And they want you to take one a day. Nope, not for DSers. I can pretty much guarantee your labs will be in the tank very quickly and you will have a broken hip by the time you reach 40. No calcium at all!!! And 3000 D. Woefully inadequate.

Here's the vitalady list most of use to start. You do not have to order from her, she just has a great list!

http://www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramDRNY_ERNY_BPDDS3-2010.pdf

Here is a slightly different version of what Gina @MajorMom posted. This one shows the RNY AND the DS side by side.

View attachment 225

The PDF attached is the same thing just in a format that can be printed to take with you.
Soooo if Im reading the chart correctly, it looks like RNY patients malabsorb more vites and mins than we do bc of the bypassing of the stomach. Am I reading that right? Interesting...

This is exactly why I check this board often, because it's chock full of information that I need to manage my healthcare personally!! My pre-op bloodwork showed that my B6 levels were high and all the RD told me was to stop taking any supplements that I may have been taking with it in it. Never mentioned that it could be a sign of something else going on. Now im going back to review those labs and figure out if I need to be paying attention more to other levels.

Soooo if Im reading the chart correctly, it looks like RNY patients malabsorb more vites and mins than we do bc of the bypassing of the stomach. Am I reading that right? Interesting...
No. They have much less small bowel bypassed than a typical DSer. Most vite and mineral absorbtion happens in the small bowel.

Sorry if this information is somewhere on this and I'm just missing it.

Does anyone have a template for Lab results & or Vitamin Inventory?

Thank you in advance.
Sue

Latest posts

Back