vitamin confusion

Dawn

Hello friends. Am I the only one who gets overwhelmed trying to figure out what vitamins are needed? Does anyone have a trick or suggestion? I found vitalady website and the list she has, but I would like to find some I can purchase in Canada instead of online.

You should definitely read all the threads, but I'm sure people will chime in to say they buys from various locations. Some do the full packs from vitalady, but lots of us get some from her, some from amazon and the rest from places like Walmart or Costco. Multis, calcium, b complex, C, Magnesium can all be bought from a store.

Vitamins can be confusing. The advantage in buying from Vitalady is that you will be getting the right formula of particular vitamins. For instance, for vitamin A you should be taking palmitate and not beta carotene. For B12 you should take Methylcobalamin and not cyanocobalamin. So, if you are going to shop your vitamins, you need to find out the best formulations and read the labels carefully.

I'd definitely start with Vitalady, but I do know that shipping and customs costs do suck, surprisingly as badly in Canada as in the UK. You can probably get a lot of stuff from somewhere like Amazon once you know what you're doing.

I started with her pre-packaged vites. Once you've had your first set of labs done you'll start to tweak what you need and the you can get yourself a vitamin organizer, something like this is a good one http://www.amazon.ca/Medcenter-Vita...=1404057765&sr=8-7&keywords=vitamin+organizer
41QeXOQIk0L.jpg

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Vitamins can be confusing. The advantage in buying from Vitalady is that you will be getting the right formula of particular vitamins. For instance, for vitamin A you should be taking palmitate and not beta carotene. For B12 you should take Methylcobalamin and not cyanocobalamin. So, if you are going to shop your vitamins, you need to find out the best formulations and read the labels carefully.

That is the first time I have ever known about the B12. When I place my next order, I will correct that.

Thanks so much that is all very useful information. See things like that vitamin organization are so helpful. I will be ordering one of those for sure. Thanks again.

That is the first time I have ever known about the B12. When I place my next order, I will correct that.
Actually, many if not most of us absorb the B's just fine. It's the RNY people who don't. A percentage of the general population is low on B-12 and if you were low pre-op, it's a good guess you will be low post-op. Yeah I know lots of folks do the B-12 thing but read and do your own research. You will learn that the optimal way to take any B is as a B-complex. Why? Because B's always travel together and work better when taken together.

I used to take a B-complex every day. Labs were always good so I backed off to two or three a week. Labs still good. But B is a water soluble vite so labs are just a snapshot in time. Usually extra B's just give you expensive pee!

Actually, many if not most of us absorb the B's just fine. It's the RNY people who don't. A percentage of the general population is low on B-12 and if you were low pre-op, it's a good guess you will be low post-op. Yeah I know lots of folks do the B-12 thing but read and do your own research. You will learn that the optimal way to take any B is as a B-complex. Why? Because B's always travel together and work better when taken together.

I used to take a B-complex every day. Labs were always good so I backed off to two or three a week. Labs still good. But B is a water soluble vite so labs are just a snapshot in time. Usually extra B's just give you expensive pee!

I do take a B complex and I have expensive, bright, pretty pee. ;)

Since we're talking about B let me ask this. I'm taking a B complex and a B9. Do I really need a B12? I've got a script for injections, but trying to decide if I will fill it or not. It really depends on how much my insurance will pay.

That's what I thought. I just had my first set drawn last week. Still waiting on results. Originally I was going to do the Nasal B12 once a week but that script was $100 for a one month supply! Ridiculous. I'm gonna go with the most cost effective route. :)
There's a good chance you will find out you don't need it at all. A good thing considering how much you will be spending on all the vites you do need!

The problem with the B Complex is that you can easily overdose on B6 which is as dangerous being high as having a low B12.

I take 3 Kirkland Daily Multi's and all my B's are fine. My B12 always comes in over 2000.

Yes. Be careful with B6. A while back there were a few people who had elevated B6 from taking Kirkland multi's, I believe. The side effects of high B6 are bad. But B12 is okay to have really high.

It takes a while to learn all the different vitamins and what they are for. You want to chart your own labs, because then you can spot trends before they become problematic. Like your iron, for example. When your Ferritin starts to drop, you can act before it gets so low you start having symptoms.

Latest posts

Back