Vitamin A and Hair Loss; Vitamin E and Taste

aaa

I wrote a few years ago about Vitamin A and hair loss. It seems mine was too high (even though it was only in the high normal range) and was causing hair loss. It's taken a couple of years and a large drop in Vitamin A but most of my shedding has stopped.

I'd now like to talk about Vitamin E. At the end of summer 2016, I thought my loss of taste was due to a number of inhalers I was using for asthmatic bronchitis. I waited 2.5 months after I'd finished with them but my taste didn't come back. After numerous tests, I found a neurologist who said Vitamin E can affect loss of taste. I began to add it and within 12 months, had about 90% of my taste back.

Just for anyone who might have similar issues come up over the life of their DS.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. When I recently experienced a severe vitamin A deficiency, I suffered from constantly watering eyes (that I thought was due to environmental allergies), progressive loss of vision, especially loss of night vision and color acuity, along with dizziness and acne. So those are symptoms to look for in relation to low Vitamin A. All improved in short order with appropriate supplementation, but , I am told the eye damage could have been irreversible had the deficiency persisted much longer.

I learned the hard way not to get complacent and that periodic vitamin lab testing is critical, especially years out from DS. Knowing what I know now, I will never go more than 6 months without getting my tests done!

Last edited:
I wrote a few years ago about Vitamin A and hair loss. It seems mine was too high (even though it was only in the high normal range) and was causing hair loss. It's taken a couple of years and a large drop in Vitamin A but most of my shedding has stopped.

I'd now like to talk about Vitamin E. At the end of summer 2016, I thought my loss of taste was due to a number of inhalers I was using for asthmatic bronchitis. I waited 2.5 months after I'd finished with them but my taste didn't come back. After numerous tests, I found a neurologist who said Vitamin E can affect loss of taste. I began to add it and within 12 months, had about 90% of my taste back.

Just for anyone who might have similar issues come up over the life of their DS.

Wow i lost my taste about 6 months ago. But it has eventually returned.

Latest posts

Back