Tired of Counting

Soontobelovely

I am seriously considering DS switch from sleeve which was done in 2008. Weight gain due to not being disciplined even having sleeve surgery is the result of my decision. And while I know that WLS is not the total answer, I feel that I will again fail even with the DS if I have to count and or still have to be disciplined about everything I eat. Feeling like this is not the right thing to do if but I know we all struggle with these issues still and so many of you have done so well. Just not sure if I am spending hard earned money only to fail again...I just want to be "free"

No such thing as a free lunch. Sorry. Postop you do have to make sure you get enough protein and take supplements a couple times a day. For many it is a free ride, weight wise, for at least the first 5 years. However if you don't use those years wisely to learn your new body, the weight can creep up again. With the DS, it's all about avoiding carbs/sugar. There is nothing you can do that works better than the DS. Hopefully someday there will be something that works better but not today!

No such thing as a free lunch. Sorry. Postop you do have to make sure you get enough protein and take supplements a couple times a day. For many it is a free ride, weight wise, for at least the first 5 years. However if you don't use those years wisely to learn your new body, the weight can creep up again. With the DS, it's all about avoiding carbs/sugar. There is nothing you can do that works better than the DS. Hopefully someday there will be something that works better but not today!

Yep, I know your right

Last edited by a moderator:
I am one of those with no free ride, but even still, my dieting now vs my dieting pre-op, there is no comparison. Pre-op my mainstay was soup made with a huge can of low sodium V-8, and I could add some veggies like carrots, celery, and mostly cabbage. I still love that soup, but it's not necessary now (well, I don't really enjoy anything when it has to be 3 times a day, every day for weeks or months).

Now, my "dieting" is just not to pig out on carbs. I still had a cake-pop at starbucks today, but still lowering carbs like no rice or roll with my meals. I had a ham and 3 cheese omelette this morning, then for later morning, and then later had a bunch of pulled pork with smoked cheese melted over it. I'm now perusing some bacon wrapped shrimp in the fridge, and thinking about if I should forego the bbq sauce over them to reduce carbs. Or mb the kabob meat and veggie skewers. So, THAT's my idea of dieting now. Zero calorie counting, I just reduce the carbs from my usual carb-whorish norm. I can live with this diet, but not the ones I used to try to live on.

*not a DSer* but I agree with Bearmom..

So long as I eat fat & protein, no problems.. overeat on carbs = weight gain (and cravings for more carbs.) I no longer count cals/macros unless I get curious (a couple times a year I might log and see..) Otherwise, I eat a couple eggs and 1/2 avocado or bacon in the am, steak & buttered/cream cheese mashed cauliflower for dinner, etc.. Pretty much, I eat meat & fat, and if there's room or something is really tasty- veggies. For me, so long as I limit carbs, or nearly cut them out completely (when I'm trying to lose) I do ok.. overeat them or drink their liquid form (beer, wine etc..) no good!

With the DS, you may have to be a tracker still for a while to make sure you get ALL your protein needs met, then of course labs, and vite tracking/adjusting are NOT negotiable.. and carbs will still need to be limited/watched closely. Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

I am one of those with no free ride, but even still, my dieting now vs my dieting pre-op, there is no comparison. Pre-op my mainstay was soup made with a huge can of low sodium V-8, and I could add some veggies like carrots, celery, and mostly cabbage. I still love that soup, but it's not necessary now (well, I don't really enjoy anything when it has to be 3 times a day, every day for weeks or months).

Now, my "dieting" is just not to pig out on carbs. I still had a cake-pop at starbucks today, but still lowering carbs like no rice or roll with my meals. I had a ham and 3 cheese omelette this morning, then for later morning, and then later had a bunch of pulled pork with smoked cheese melted over it. I'm now perusing some bacon wrapped shrimp in the fridge, and thinking about if I should forego the bbq sauce over them to reduce carbs. Or mb the kabob meat and veggie skewers. So, THAT's my idea of dieting now. Zero calorie counting, I just reduce the carbs from my usual carb-whorish norm. I can live with this diet, but not the ones I used to try to live on.

Thanks for all of the good info and insight.
Much appreciated!

I am five months out on a DS. I have lost 88 pounds (hoping to get to 100 by 6 months) and I have to tell you that this lifestyle is so much better than low calorie dieting. I eat protein, protein, protein and if there is room, some veggies. I love it. I mean, when else is it acceptable to eat 12 slices of bacon and nothing else? Or better yet, when else is a bacon wrapped chicken skewer considered "health food"?
I am dilligent with my vitamins and all that. This lifestyle is 1000 times better than low calorie dieting.

I would do it again in a heart beat.

I am going to go snack on some ribeye strips now.

I am five months out on a DS. I have lost 88 pounds (hoping to get to 100 by 6 months) and I have to tell you that this lifestyle is so much better than low calorie dieting. I eat protein, protein, protein and if there is room, some veggies. I love it. I mean, when else is it acceptable to eat 12 slices of bacon and nothing else? Or better yet, when else is a bacon wrapped chicken skewer considered "health food"?
I am dilligent with my vitamins and all that. This lifestyle is 1000 times better than low calorie dieting.

I would do it again in a heart beat.

I am going to go snack on some ribeye strips now.

Hi "Girl"
Thanks much!!
You are doing so well. So happy for you
It is good to know that nobody seems to regret their descision and seems to be doing well. These replies are so very helpful

Latest posts

Back