Three alarm Chili

brooklyngirl

Yankee gone south
So I adapted this recipe from a cooks country version to make it higher protein, lower carbs and less heat. I only used 3 of the five alarms because, while I enjoy heat, my stomach can't handle super heat these days (esp combined with tomatoes, it kicks up the reflux). It called for jalapeños and cayenne as well, so if you're tummy can handle it, go for the full five alarms!

Three Alarm Chili

(Makes aprox. 20 2/3 cup servings)

5 dried ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded, and torn into 1-inch pieces
31⁄2 cups water
1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
2 TBS coconut flour
2 canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce plus 2 teaspoons adobo sauce
4 tablespoons vegetable oil + 4 tsp vegetable oil
5 pounds 85 percent lean ground beef
Salt and pepper
2 pounds onions, chopped fine
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 tsp stevia sugar blend
11⁄2 cups beef broth
1 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed

1. Combine anchos and 11⁄2 cups water in bowl and microwave until softened, about 3 minutes. Drain and discard liquid. Process anchos, tomatoes and their juice, remaining 2 cups water, coconut flour, chipotle, and adobo sauce in blender until smooth, about 1 minute; set aside.
2. Heat 4 TBS oil in Dutch oven over medium- high heat until just smoking. Add beef, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper and cook, breaking up pieces with spoon, until all liquid has evaporated and meat begins to sizzle, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain in colander; set aside.
3. Heat remaining 4 teaspoons oil in now-empty pot over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onions and cook until onions are lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, cumin, chili powder, oregano, coriander, sugar, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Pour in beef broth and bring to simmer. Stir in beans, reserved ancho-tomato mixture, and reserved cooked beef and bring to simmer. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Season with salt to taste. Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream and diced scallions. (Hubby ate a double serving over rice)

Per 2/3 cup serving- 24.5g protein, 8g carbs, 3g fiber (5 net carbs)

This looks really great. Obviously, I have to wait before I can have anything interesting. Can you tell I am supremely bored with my diet?

I can hardly wait. I need food! I hate cottage cheese, always have. I don't love yogurt but have been forcing it down. I thought I was so prepared for this, ha. Nothing can prepare you, you just have to live it. I feel like I will starve to death before I am able to eat again, lol.

I can hardly wait. I need food! I hate cottage cheese, always have. I don't love yogurt but have been forcing it down. I thought I was so prepared for this, ha. Nothing can prepare you, you just have to live it. I feel like I will starve to death before I am able to eat again, lol.
Yeah, and I am getting ready to deal with another round of just liquids so I DO feel your pain.

Oh, Liz that is a horribly long time. I hope you at least, get the best drugs available to help you through!

Latest posts

Back