Things I never thought I'd say

debbiebobebbie

Distal RNY to DS
So, my revision is in 15, yes 15 days! I'm trying to gain a few pounds, because I feel like I need a cushion. ( I'm revising from a very broken RNY to proper DS, but my BMI is 27.) For the very first time in my life, I cannot gain weight. In fact, I can't seem to stop losing. I am eating, supplementing with 60 gms. of protein, drinking 80 oz of water a day...and the scale? She mocks me. I feel like I'm stuck in some sort of absurdist comedy. "Fat girl who can never lose weight now cannot gain weight, because that is the intended goal". Previous to this period of time, unless I was immediately post op, if i even smell cake, I gain. My body seems to be purposely fucking with me.

I'm still learning about the whole "distal bypass" thing and how my eating effects weight loss/gain, but this seems to be going against everything I've learned since my revision in October. I plateau'd at a BMI of 29 for a few months and thought that's where I was going to stay. But it seems like the more I eat, the more I lose. Previous to the last few weeks, any time I ate carbs, I could count on gaining...but it seems that since I got the approval for surgery call, I'm on a downhill slide, regardless of what I eat.

Forgive me for complaining about losing weight, because I know that's the goal for all of us, but this just seems so weird.

In the last two weeks before my DS, I was told not to lose weight (virgin DS and only a 35.2 BMI), so I went to town eating everything I could and damned if I didn't lose to 199 the day of surgery which was a 34.8 BMI!

So I totally get it!

The sad part is, I can't even really "go to town" because of the whole distal thing. Going to town frequently means going to the bathroom...for a really, really long time. LOL. I read threads on other forums where people are asking about the distal or ERNY and I want to just jump up and down and go, "NO!...but, if you must, buy stock in toilet per and get yourself a padded seat cushion. ".

You're so not alone!! I had the DS 15 years ago, a revision a couple years later to stop me from losing and even with the revision I have a hard time gaining weight. I really want to as well! The very lifestyle this surgery has allowed me of being super active and viewing food as a fuel and not a pleasure, is also what makes it difficult for me to gain weight. And like you, if I do eat not so "great", it goes right through me and I lose weight. So, I'm with ya.

Latest posts

Back