The things you find when you look...

harrietvane

I've been working out how to increase protein in a culture that's very much focused on carbs (rice! noodles! more rice!).
  • My favourite ramen place does takeaway chicken thighs, which are the best part of the ramen. Easy, high-protein dinner for $6!
  • Across from work there's a sushi train place where I can get some sashimi at lunch for under $10.
  • On the floor above the ramen place, there's Amino Bar...which does dairy-free protein shakes that taste slightly less awful than mine.
  • On another floor, Shinkansen does 'clean eating' Japanese style - one of a handful of places I'm finding around the place.
Also starting to invest more in self care. Now doing two personal training sessions a week, and had a 90 minute Ka Huna massage on Friday.

Focusing on feeling good, and waiting for the weight loss to follow.

Thanks! I also joined a meat club here for monthly deliveries. Tired of paying ridiculous prices at the supermarket only for the meat to go bad in 1-2 days...challenges of a long supply chain. The meat will be flown in from Australia vacuum packed, and straight to my door. Looking forward to getting access to some good lamb.

It's so easy for us to get our hands on all sorts of food options here in the states that we forget it isn't the same elsewhere. I love your determination and creativity in finding good food sources that will work for you. And also your focus on general health and feeling good.

@Larra, my food bill has definitely gone up substantially since surgery...counterintuitive, but worth it to get good quality protein. I do have some advantages, though - half of the regular milk section in an Asian supermarket is 'low lactose' milk.

Latest posts

Back