Study indirectly shows RnY delivers less EWL

DSRIGGS

Yes, that is chocolate covered bacon
Dr K on his FB site just posted a story showing that Bariatric surgery result in improved Cardiac risk.

There are two points to the article I want to highlight.

First, even though the study used the RnY (I asked Dr K when he thinks we will see broader health care studies that use the DS data rather than this inferior surgery data) as its data source, it showed a significant improvement in risk indicators for cardiac health.

Secondly, the study shows only 30% total weight loss for the RnY patient. So what does this mean to an prospective Bariatric patient exploring options?

Well use the following example:

Patient weighs 450 lbs pre bariatric surgery and has a RnY.​

EWL from this study:

450 lbs x (1-0.3) = EWL = 315 lbs
My Weight Loss from DS (Little more than typical) from DS:

Starting: 361 lbs
Current: 175 lbs
Loss: 186 lbs
EWL %: 51%
So Expected loss if this 450 lb patient had a DS with say 50% EWL: 225 lbs.

Which one is a healthier weight?
Clearly the intent of this study was not to compare to the DS, but the average weight loss in this study shows the RnY typically does not yield the results the DS yields.

It is a seriously evil joke to play on people. They have surgery to become 'normal' and before you know it, normal is in the rear view mirror never to be seen again. The lapband is useless and as far as I'm concerned constitutes cruel and unusual punishment. The RNY is pretty much the same. And when you eventually fail, it's YOUR fault!

And honestly even the DS has it's limits. As time goes on many end up overweight again. Me personally I think I need a 0 CC. I can inhale enough through the air to survive. I should have been an airitarian. http://www.amazon.com/Food-Free-Last-How-Learned-Eat-ebook/dp/B00AEEBLO6

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah the RnY can certainly be cruel and the lap band definitely has horror stories.....strangely though and I don't know why it work for her but my wife's cousin has had a band for ten years and does fantastic with it. Great weight loss and she is very healthy. My cousin had a RnY with Marshall about a month after my DS. I tried to talk her out if it but she bought into the "you will have diarrhea all the time and be malnourished " BS that the "industry" has put out there. Of course I am sure she looks at me and thinks I was a fool because of my issues but I know that long run I am going to be fine and unfortunately for her the weight gain will start to happen for her.

Munchkin, I am so sorry that your DS hasn't provided the long term loss you desired. Have you ever considered a revision? It sure sounds to me like you could have too much CC and AL as compared to your total SBL and that this could have prevented the complete weight loss that you desired...or as you said you might be a super absorber. In any case I am sorry that you seem to have experienced the other end of the spectrum from me where I had to much malabsorption and you didn't get enough.

Latest posts

Back