Someone needs to school Himpens on nutritional followup

DianaCox

Bad Cop
What the hell is going on with him and his surgeries? 42.5% reoperation rate? That is outlandish! He's doing something wrong! And over 10% of patients "needed" reoperation for nutritional deficiencies? That number should be more like 1%, based on other surgeons' long term results. Does he not know how to treat these patients with proper supplements, timing, etc.?

Ann Surg. 2016 Dec;264(6):1029-1037.
Long-term (>10 Yrs) Outcome of the Laparoscopic Biliopancreatic Diversion With Duodenal Switch.
Bolckmans R1, Himpens J.
Author information

Abstract
OBJECTIVE:
The aim of the study was to report 10+ year outcome of laparoscopic biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch (LDS), with special focus on quality of life.

BACKGROUND::
Reports on long-term morbidity and quality of life after LDS are rare.

METHODS:
Records of all patients who underwent LDS 10+ years ago were analyzed. Patients were contacted to answer a questionnaire based on Bariatric Analysis and Reporting Outcome System. Blood work was reported when performed within the past year.

RESULTS:
Of the 153 patients who underwent LDS, follow-up was available for 113 patients (78.5%). Mean follow-up was 130.2 ± 4.6 months. Percentage total weight loss was 40.7 ± 10.8%. Weight loss was greatest in the super obese category (BMI > 50 kg/m). Remission rate for type 2 diabetes was 87.5% (21/24) and for arterial hypertension 80.9% (38/47). Dyslipidemia remission rates were 93.3% (28/30) for total cholesterol, 89.7% (26/29) for triglycerides, and 95.0% (19/20) for low-density lipoprotein cholesterol. However, 42.5% of the patients needed reoperation, including 10.6% for correction of protein malnutrition, the latter exclusively in non-super obese individuals. Most common deficiencies concerned vitamin A and D, iron, and zinc. De novo gastroesophageal reflux disease was reported in 43.8%. The Bariatric Analysis and Reporting Outcome System score was good at 4.9 ± 2.2, and 82.3% of participants would choose the procedure again.

CONCLUSIONS:
LDS is a very effective metabolic procedure, at the cost of occasional protein and other nutritional deficiencies. Outcome in the long term is best in super obese patients. Overall quality of life is good. The high reoperation rate and incidence of gastroesophageal reflux disease are concerning.

I wonder how the peer review process helps to identify the difference between a good procedure and a good surgeon. Would be a shame if this study was used to justify to people how 'dangerous' the DS is, when it seems from the bulk of the literature that isn't the case.

As a guy who is suffering the effects of a surgeon whose technique caused protein malnutrition, and I am convinced, is the root of my issues now, I find the conclusion to be horse shit. It is not acceptable to have 42% of patients needing reoperation to be healthy. It would be interesting to see what he is doing for limb lengths to cause this gross failure rate.

I wonder how the peer review process helps to identify the difference between a good procedure and a good surgeon. Would be a shame if this study was used to justify to people how 'dangerous' the DS is, when it seems from the bulk of the literature that isn't the case.
Right. While I want people to understand that you be DS really is the only bariatric procedure that works, but unless I read this incorrectly how can they say "occasional protein and other nutritional deficiencies" when surgery is needed again for 42% of patients is flat out lying and making the DS look bad, IMO

Shouldn't there be some form of state medical board/licensing review when a surgeon's re-operative rates are so high relative to peers for the same procedure?

Also, why the high rates of "De novo gastroesophageal reflux disease"? What's going on with the sleeve component?

Shouldn't there be some form of state medical board/licensing review when a surgeon's re-operative rates are so high relative to peers for the same procedure?

Also, why the high rates of "De novo gastroesophageal reflux disease"? What's going on with the sleeve component?
I think this is a Belgian Doc so not sure who does oversight.

My assumption is that he makes sleeves too small and the complete AL (CC + AL) too short for these patients total SNL.

Latest posts

Back