Seen the Shrink Yesterday

robs477

Now an Angel in heaven
Well, that was pretty much what I expected. One more Hoop completed! Two hours of my time wasted though, but as said, as expected. FOUR HUNDRED question questionnaire to fill out! I couldn’t believe it. Some of the questions you have no possible way to answer them because they are set-up for failure type questions, (and you HAD to circle one), like:

Do you think the main reason that you have repressed anger and resentment for your Mother is:
  1. Because she did not breast feed you when you were a baby?
  2. Because she did not let you have the car keys when you turned 16?
WTF?.....How am I suppose to answer that honestly? First of all…I loved my Mother and have NO repressed anger or resentment to her, (even though she really didn’t breast feed me), and...I had my own car bought and paid for from my own money from a summer job before I could even drive! So, neither option was the truth! I told the shrink I wasn’t answering those stupid questions and put WTF next to them…lol, there was about 10 or so similar to that. Sure hope I “passed”!

Last edited:
Yes Grasshopper, you passed the test - you have shown you are NOT complacent, passive or stupid - you will not ignore the facts when the options for applying them don't suit. You did well!

Wow ! Mine was only maybe 100 q's and no crazy shit like that. More like "do you feel like hurting yourself?" and crap like that.

WTF does that question have to do with WLS? Although, if I were grading your exam, I'd have passed you for the WTF comment alone. Because you proved that you can recognize bullshit for what it is, in any setting, even at your doctors office. ESPECIALLY at your doctors office, come to think of it.

You will do well with the DS. But you already know this.

And...these things are normed on healthy populations, not sick folk. So, being more than a little depressed because I had just been diagnosed with an incurable disease that produced horrid pain that just didn't stop...sometimes for days or weeks or even months at a time....and which had a suicide rate at four times that of the rest of the population...I was found, by the computerized version, to be spending far too much time thinking about illness and death.

Because...it's "abnormal" for people with painful, incurable diseases that totally disrupt their lives, rendering them unable to work or to even SLEEP, to think about being sick? Huh? Uh...yes...yes...well I have been off work sick for a few months now and I will never be able to return and I AM spending a lot of time filling out forms for disability retirement and all...but I should try to do that without thinking about having this disease, right? Because THAT would make me normal, huh?

Yes Grasshopper, you passed the test - you have shown you are NOT complacent, passive or stupid - you will not ignore the facts when the options for applying them don't suit. You did well!

@DianaCox, Thxs, You’re so funny too! Hadn’t been called “Grasshopper” in yrs!!

And...these things are normed on healthy populations, not sick folk. So, being more than a little depressed because I had just been diagnosed with an incurable disease that produced horrid pain that just didn't stop...sometimes for days or weeks or even months at a time....and which had a suicide rate at four times that of the rest of the population...I was found, by the computerized version, to be spending far too much time thinking about illness and death.

Because...it's "abnormal" for people with painful, incurable diseases that totally disrupt their lives, rendering them unable to work or to even SLEEP, to think about being sick? Huh? Uh...yes...yes...well I have been off work sick for a few months now and I will never be able to return and I AM spending a lot of time filling out forms for disability retirement and all...but I should try to do that without thinking about having this disease, right? Because THAT would make me normal, huh?

I actually know two clinical Psychologists, one if which I helped put her through college as she worked in my business for a lot of yrs. Crazy as a football bat, cute, nice, smart, but totally fenced in!...lol I joke with her still about how I still can’t believe that she actually diagnose and treats others.

I hope you can get to some kind of a more pleasant and tolerable condition in mitigating the effects of your illness. I’m confident given your obvious resolve and with the right combination medical expertise, that you will overcome this and be able to look back on it as just another challenge of many you’ve overcome! You WILL be in my best wishes (and many others) along your journey for sure.

Those tests aren't geared to people needing psych clearance for bariatric surgery. Actually, I don't know of any such test geared specifically to bariatric surgery pre-ops. so they just took the standardized test they had and threw it at you. And you did well to throw it back.

I never had to take that test. Just a little questionnaire they seemed to have created themselves with some reasonable questions, like whether or not I had ever had an eating disorder, been suicidal, depressed, etc. It was very benign and took me about 5 minutes. Then we had a nice conversation and that was it.

I don't remember THOSE questions, but...the MMPI is notoriously crazy-making...

http://psychcentral.com/lib/minnesota-multiphasic-personality-inventory-mmpi/0005959

My husband and I took this when we were planning to adopt. (We were approved and put on a waiting list, after about a year we decided to just have another child.) It was over 600 questions and absolutely infuriating in some areas. It said I was too trusting. Ha, that was over 20 years ago, things have changed!

Those tests aren't geared to people needing psych clearance for bariatric surgery. Actually, I don't know of any such test geared specifically to bariatric surgery pre-ops. so they just took the standardized test they had and threw it at you. And you did well to throw it back.

I never had to take that test. Just a little questionnaire they seemed to have created themselves with some reasonable questions, like whether or not I had ever had an eating disorder, been suicidal, depressed, etc. It was very benign and took me about 5 minutes. Then we had a nice conversation and that was it.

Yeah, they probably have several levels of "Testing" questions and save the 400 question one for us more "challenging candidates"..lol. There were several suicide related ones also, all in the same format of course! The one I remember most is:

When you have suicidal thoughts, do they start happening after a period of:
  1. Anger
  2. Nervous Anxiety
Again, no option but to choose (circle) 1 or 2. I’ve never had a suicidal thought in my life and saying that was not an option…so, my default answer was the same.

Latest posts

Back