Potassium. Which One? How Much?

Lilyofthevalley

Revived & Revitalized
Potassium Chloride vs Potassium Gluconate.

I am 3 years out from my Standard DS. For about 16 months now I have been taking high doses of prescription Potassium Chloride. My numbers have risen very slowly. For various reasons I would like to switch to an over the counter Potassium. The dosage that I find in the potassium chloride seems very low compared to what I have been taking. Does anyone know how Potassium Gluconate compares to the Chloride? I have no idea how much I should take of the over the counters. I will talk to my doctor about it but he has been insisting on high doses of the extended release which really don't work well for us. I think my numbers might actually improve faster if I was on a regular formula. Any advice would be considered and appreciated.

Potassium Chloride vs Potassium Gluconate

• Potassium chloride is an inorganic salt whereas potassium gluconate is an organic salt of potassium.
  • KCl is readily soluble in water than potassium gluconate.
  • Potassium gluconate is given as a supplement if the patient has a normal chloride level. Potassium chloride is given if there are low levels of both potassium and chloride in the blood.
http://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-potassium-chloride-and-vs-potassium-gluconate/

595 mg of potassium gluconate contains about 99mg of elemental potassium.
189 mg of potassium chloride also contains about 99mg of elemental potassium.
189 mg of potassium chloride is about 2.54 mEq

That said, the potassium in potassium gluconate is more easily absorbed by the body than is the potassium in potassium chloride, so seeking the equivalent elemental potassium dosage may not be what you want as it may produce different effects in the body.

http://www.answers.com/Q/Potassium_595mg_equals_how_many_potassium_meq

More info here:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-sup...oute-parenteral-route/proper-use/DRG-20070753

I hope you are doing well! It is great to see you posting here again.

@DeeDeeDS Look in our store. I'm sure there would probably be potassium there which most of us use and probably works or @southernlady wouldn't have added it. I think...
I have never used potassium. Honestly I didn't think this was anything that typical DS patients required so I can't be of any help

My pharmacist told me about an online coupon available from GoodRx.com. I was able to buy the potassium I have been taking for 1/3 the uninsured cost I would normally pay. That helps for now. I'm still researching the whole extended release issue. Thanks.

When in the hospital everytime they are trying to get extra water off me they give Lasix and always potassium

I do not know if this will help, and also keep in mind that I have RNY not DS, but I had low potassium from my BP med and had to find ways to add more K into my diet every day. One way I add more K into my diet is using the original V-8 juice. I found the original V-8 juice contains 400 mg of K per cup (and 10 gm of carbs). Two cups of original V-8 = 800 mg of potassium. If you cannot stand to drink it straight you can use V-8 to make chili or soup, mix it in a protein drink, and/or use it for all of your cooking liquids. Of course if sodium is an issue you will have to factor in the 430 mg NA. I'm not at all sure how malabsorption of K and NA would work with DS, but I'm thinking if the K and NA were attached to carbs you can tolerate (such as through V-8 or other veggies) much of it would be absorbed.

My Potassium had fallen to low levels and I am now on Prescription Klor-Con Powder (Potassium Chloride 20mEq). I take one per day and my levels are barely ok. They want me to take two per day and that would probably bump my levels up, but since they are not low, I'm sticking with the one pack per day. It is the grossest thing in the world. I mix it with a small bit of water and a dash of vinegar so I can gag it down in one quick shot. Weird, I know but it's the only way for me. Funny thing is I saw the actual cost of a two month supply...$1,300!!!!!! Good thing my copayment is only $20. You would think for that price they could make it taste at least palatable!!

For people who like me, are not in need of prescription strength potassium, I take two types of potassium supplements. I have low blood pressure and potassium helps with the blind staggers when I stand up too fast.

I take 99 mg of Potassium Citrate to help ward of kidney stones and I take 595 mg potassium gluconate to help with leg cramps. Both help with my overall potassium levels.

Oops. Now I see you were also on prescription potassium chloride. Sorry I am no help.

No you were helpful. I am on Klor-Con M20 Extended release and considered asking my doctor to switch me to the powder because I thought it might absorb better. However, it is more expensive and right now I don't have any insurance. That was the reason I was considering trying over-the-counter potassium. I am happy to hear from someone who uses the powder. My experience with the Klor-Con is that I take four times the recommended dosage per day, and like you my numbers barely stay up high enough to be considered ok. Thanks

When my potassium was low, my doctor offered me two choices. A supplement ( huge unpleasant horse pill) or add a banana to morning protein smoothie, drink low calorie electrolyte beverages ( power ade) has the most potassium, and use the potassium chloride instead of salt when cooking. In three months my levels were fine.

A supplement ( huge unpleasant horse pill) or add a banana to morning protein smoothie, drink low calorie electrolyte beverages ( power ade) has the most potassium, and use the potassium chloride instead of salt when cooking. In three months my levels were fine.
Since banana is FULL of carbs which the body sees as sugar cause the body sees all carbs as sugar once broken down, I would have opted for the horse pill. I haven't had a banana in almost 10 years. I am diabetic and bananas raise my blood sugar as much as a teaspoon of cane sugar.

Since banana is FULL of carbs which the body sees as sugar cause the body sees all carbs as sugar once broken down, I would have opted for the horse pill. I haven't had a banana in almost 10 years. I am diabetic and bananas raise my blood sugar as much as a teaspoon of cane sugar.

I really dislike bananas, but my standard morning breakfast is a cold pressed green vegetable juice with a banana, strawberries, and a scoop of bariatric friendly protein powder @ 35g of protein. It's the only way for me to get enough vegetables in my diet, since too much fiber KILLS me, if you get my drift. With the protein, and sometimes even some nut oil, etc, the glycemic index is pretty reasonable when it's done.

Latest posts

Back